• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

commanders off season thread 2023

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go again. If a team for example the Jets really want Carr they would trade for him. They have plenty of cap room and they will get a legit QB. They wouldnt care about trade compensation. Sure, they could wait to see IF he gets cut but then if that happens you are competing with other teams for his services. The ball would be in D. Carr's court, and he can sign with anyone he wants. By making the trade you are guaranteed that guy. I see teams being aggressive for this QB
The ball is in Carr's court to begin with as he has a no-trade clause.

Our massive mistake with Wentz might give teams pause in pursuing the trade route. I simply have no idea why the Raiders are so eager to get rid of Carr. He is the least of their concerns. Teams value draft capital more than you think Dean.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ball is in Carr's court to begin with as he has a no-trade clause.

Our massive mistake with Wentz might give teams pause in pursuing the trade route.

reports are saying he is waving that. Our mistake with CW was thinking other teams were involved in trade discussions. We panicked and made a bad deal. We were worried that if we did wait until get gets cut another team would have picked him up. CW didn't have to sign here if he got cut but RR really wanted this guy last year so he made the trade

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I can see the Texans or Jets swinging a trade. I think we set ourselves up with Payne last year. When we drafted Mathis, it was almost as if the writing was on the wall.

I know I am in the minority here but I do not think we should tag Payne. This has never worked out for this organization (Cousins and Sheriff). We should have traded Payne earlier if it was never in the cards to resign him. Mayhew's remarks didn't give me the impression that this is going to happen. Does Payne even want to be here? Who knows.
I can definitely see the Jets. I live in Houston. They are gonna take either Stroud or Young. Plus they did his brother dirty. I would definitely tag Payne and then draft DT in the first next year if I had to.

Allows me to keep a top 3 defense together and buys me time to find his replacement. I'm not ready to just roll with Mathis. LTD for Payne would be ideal.

Keim swears they are gonna make a real run at bringing Payne back. Not sure if Payne wants to be here or go to Atlanta. Atlanta has space, has made it clear they want interior lineman, and Altana is close to home for him.

Carr with our weapons and a couple of lineman in the draft and we are real players in this division.

Not gonna lie, part of me wants to roll with Howell. Trying not to be a prisoner of the moment. Ron is on the hottest of seats. He's gonna bring a vet in. Just not sure who it's gonna be.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can definitely see the Jets. I live in Houston. They are gonna take either Stroud or Young. Plus they did his brother dirty. I would definitely tag Payne and then draft DT in the first next year if I had to.

Allows me to keep a top 3 defense together and buys me time to find his replacement. I'm not ready to just roll with Mathis. LTD for Payne would be ideal.

Keim swears they are gonna make a real run at bringing Payne back. Not sure if Payne wants to be here or go to Atlanta. Atlanta has space, has made it clear they want interior lineman, and Altana is close to home for him.

Carr with our weapons and a couple of lineman in the draft and we are real players in this division.

Not gonna lie, part of me wants to roll with Howell. Trying not to be a prisoner of the moment. Ron is on the hottest of seats. He's gonna bring a vet in. Just not sure who it's gonna be.
Why do we need four 1st round picks on that DLine when our OLine is ranked one of the worst in the league? I cannot understand why tagging Payne makes any sense if there is no plan/chance to sign him to a LTD. We can pick up a cheaper option in FA or roll with Ridgeway. We can use the tag cap from Payne to build long-term solutions...not bandaids.

If what Mayhew and Rivera said is true, it makes no sense to bring in Carr. They said "run first" approach...did they not? Paying Carr 35+ million to be a game manager makes no sense...unless Rivera and Mayhew are lying.

From the press conference, it seems like they are wanting to recreate the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, or 2013 Seahawks. Just my opinion. There again, 10 out of the top 11 pass-oriented offenses made the playoffs. That being said, who is the last recent SB champ who won with a "run first" offense?

If what they say is true, we should roll with Howell or sign a game manager. Carr would be a waste of money and a waste of his skill set.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe Payne returns to play along side his brother Allen.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reports are saying he is waving that. Our mistake with CW was thinking other teams were involved in trade discussions. We panicked and made a bad deal. We were worried that if we did wait until get gets cut another team would have picked him up. CW didn't have to sign here if he got cut but RR really wanted this guy last year so he made the trade
Not to rehatch the past Dean but the 1st mistake was having an interest in Wentz period. He was never going to be an answer here and Rivera made a HUGE mistake in wanting him to be on this team. Wentz is reportedly not even going to be in the league next year. I think you are still defending the idea the Wentz "could have" possibly been a good QB for us in 2022.

The 2nd mistake was attempting to trade for him...but the first mistake was having him on the "potential starting QB" list.

Last edited:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do we need four 1st round picks on that DLine when our OLine is ranked one of the worst in the league? I cannot understand why tagging Payne makes any sense if there is no plan/chance to sign him to a LTD. We can pick up a cheaper option in FA or roll with Ridgeway. We can use the tag cap from Payne to build long-term solutions...not bandaids.

If what Mayhew and Rivera said is true, it makes no sense to bring in Carr. They said "run first" approach...did they not? Paying Carr 35+ million to be a game manager makes no sense...unless Rivera and Mayhew are lying.

From the press conference, it seems like they are wanting to recreate the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, or 2013 Seahawks. Just my opinion. There again, 10 out of the top 11 pass-oriented offenses made the playoffs. That being said, who is the last recent SB champ who won with a "run first" offense?

If what they say is true, we should roll with Howell or sign a game manager. Carr would be a waste of money and a waste of his skill set.
I was talking about drafting a DT in 2024. As far as Ron's statement about running 66% of the time with the WRs we have has to be one of the most asinine comments I've ever hear said into an open mic. I pray he was lying.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about drafting a DT in 2024. As far as Ron's statement about running 66% of the time with the WRs we have has to be one of the most asinine comments I've ever hear said into an open mic. I pray he was lying.
I will be honest and say that I am confused. Maybe it was a smoke screen of sorts to mask our efforts to get a franchise QB?

I do believe there is some truth to it because 2 of Rivera's excuses in his press conference were that Robinson got shot and that they have "a lot of youth" on the team.

If the plan was to put the offense on the back of a 3rd round rookie RB, that is confusing to me. And if we are going to use "youth" as a crutch, that is confusing because they built the team that way. Perhaps they wanted to implement the 2:1 ratio run-pass scheme from the start of 2022?

This is NOT a bash session of Rivera/Mayhew, but I am honestly lost on what is currently going on with the scheme, future outlook, and the general plan moving forward. I am sure Rivera/Mayhew are not 100% certain as well given the sale. That being said, they seemed confident when it came to offensive philosophy and what they WANT to implement moving forward. Just my opinion.

Perhaps they are in the dark until this coming Monday as well? Maybe they are attempting to confuse other GMs and teams at this point? They might have learned their lesson from last year when the press leaked that we had literally called every team in the league asking about their QBs. After that happened, I am sure Ballard/Irsay knew that they had Rivera in their pocket and fleeced him because they knew how desperate the team really was.

Last edited:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest and say that I am confused. Maybe it was a smoke screen of sorts to mask our efforts to get a franchise QB?

I do believe there is some truth to it because 2 of Rivera's excuses in his press conference were that Robinson got shot and that they have "a lot of youth" on the team.

If the plan was to put the offense on the back of a 3rd round rookie RB, that is confusing to me. And if we are going to use "youth" as a crutch, that is confusing because they built the team that way. Perhaps they wanted to implement the 2:1 ratio run-pass scheme from the start of 2022?

This is NOT a bash session of Rivera/Mayhew, but I am honestly lost on what is currently going on with the scheme, future outlook, and the general plan moving forward. Perhaps they are in the dark until this coming Monday as well? Maybe they are attempting to confuse other GMs and teams at this point? They might have learned their lesson from last year when the press leaked that we had literally called every team in the league asking about their QBs. After that happened, I am sure Ballard/Irsay knew that they had Rivera in their pocket and fleeced him because they knew how desperate the team really was.
I know you and Sportster had a difference of opinion on who traded for Wentz. It is my personal belief that Wentz was a Dan move. Dan has always picked the QB and has always been the one to overpay for him. History tells us this.

I think Ron is being a good soilder and taking the bullet. Ron saying they always wanted to be a run first team is BS. He picked a WR in Turner and put him at TE. He drafted a WR in the first and bragged all off-season about how we can open up the playbook now because of Wentz.

What's done is done. Just anxious to see what they do at OC, QB, and o-line.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you and Sportster had a difference of opinion on who traded for Wentz. It is my personal belief that Wentz was a Dan move. Dan has always picked the QB and has always been the one to overpay for him. History tells us this.

I think Ron is being a good soilder and taking the bullet. Ron saying they always wanted to be a run first team is BS. He picked a WR in Turner and put him at TE. He drafted a WR in the first and bragged all off-season about how we can open up the playbook now because of Wentz.

What's done is done. Just anxious to see what they do at OC, QB, and o-line.
Yup...not going to get into conspiracy theories on here. No thanks. We can all agree to disagree and keep it civil hopefully.

That is my cue to bounce.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I can see the Texans or Jets swinging a trade. I think we set ourselves up with Payne last year. When we drafted Mathis, it was almost as if the writing was on the wall.

I know I am in the minority here but I do not think we should tag Payne. This has never worked out for this organization (Cousins and Sheriff). We should have traded Payne earlier if it was never in the cards to resign him. Mayhew's remarks didn't give me the impression that this is going to happen. Does Payne even want to be here? Who knows.
i tag payne because we dont know about mathis at all . plus reports are he will be out till next october

as for players "not wanting to be here " that is on the organization and how they handled the player . KC agreed to a contract early on but the organization reneged on it ,

BS wanted to go because he wasnt appreciated . he was an all pro and they didnt want to pay him like one and when you are paying OT's below market value who cares if you over pay for elite . instead we signed a couple of washed up turnstyles and turned a strength into a weakness

payne has been a disruptor since he got here . sooner or later we have to get these guys on 2nd contracts . i would hate to see us miss on mathis and then we dont have the line to make up for weak LB play . add to it you have chase aka clowney and mathis coming off major injuries

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i identified that early on it was a panic move . as for carr i only look at him if he is released and i will not trade for him at all . we should be focused on getting our qb from the draft . take a qb late in this draft and if we havent solved it with howell then i go to 24 draft and get my guy

i could be talked into fields for the right price . him in our offense with our wr corp and rob and AG and i think he thrives

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to rehatch the past Dean but the 1st mistake was having an interest in Wentz period. He was never going to be an answer here and Rivera made a HUGE mistake in wanting him to be on this team. Wentz is reportedly not even going to be in the league next year. I think you are still defending the idea the Wentz "could have" possibly been a good QB for us in 2022.

The 2nd mistake was attempting to trade for him...but the first mistake was having him on the "potential starting QB" list.

Im not defending, im tell you how we were thinking, and other teams will think when it comes to D. Carr this offseason.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i identified that early on it was a panic move . as for carr i only look at him if he is released and i will not trade for him at all . we should be focused on getting our qb from the draft . take a qb late in this draft and if we havent solved it with howell then i go to 24 draft and get my guy

i could be talked into fields for the right price . him in our offense with our wr corp and rob and AG and i think he thrives

I think we role with Howell this year and sign a vet. We pick too late to get a top QB. Howell deserves a chance to be QB1

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not defending, im tell you how we were thinking, and other teams will think when it comes to D. Carr this offseason.
I fully understand what we were thinking and called that out from the get-go. Rivera got obsessed with Wentz, he wasn't confident we could sign him, he then panicked and bid against himself for Wentz.

It was a merry-go-round of mistakes and we are going to pay for it by giving away a 3rd round pick when most pundits and fans saw the mistake the moment the trade went down.

I am not sure anyone trades for Carr to be honest.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully understand what we were thinking and called that out from the get-go. Rivera got obsessed with Wentz, he wasn't confident we could sign him, he then panicked and bid against himself for Wentz.

It was a merry-go-round of mistakes and we are going to pay for it by giving away a 3rd round pick when most pundits and fans saw the mistake the moment the trade went down.

I am not sure anyone trades for Carr to be honest.

I think the Jets do it.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be way off on this, but for some reason it feels like Lamar Jackson has played his last game in Baltimore.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jets do it.
Maybe but it would not make a lot of sense. For one, Carr might not want to play for that disaster of an organization. He might simply bide his time until the release. Secondly, the Jets only have 8 million in cap space. How in the world are they going to afford 40 million a year when they only have 8 million in cap and still have a draft class to sign? Remember, they went on a spending spree last off-season. They will have to clear almost 30 million in cap space to be able to afford Carr. It is possible, but they will have their work cut out for them.

Not sure any team will trade for Carr. The Raiders will release him a few days after the SB because he is due 40 million in guaranteed money if still on Raiders roster.

If the Jets want Carr that badly, they will simply find a way to sign him upon release while keeping their draft capital. The Raiders are going to try to fleece any team in trading for him. Again, I can assure you the NFL took notice of how foolish the Commanders looked last year in panicking in trading for Wentz.