• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Comedy Platinum out of Toronto - "Canada's Team" quest for the Cup

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was out of the country and wasn’t able to watch much of the first few games. How’s the defence looking? I’ve been reading that Zaitsev is looking much better and Hainsey-Rielly’s been a good pairing.

My opinion, for what its worth:

The D is a mess.

They have improved on getting the puck out of their own zone. A lot.
There have only been a few situations where they have been chasing the other team in the TOR end

But

They are Soft. Very soft. As in "gonna lose in the first round again" soft. Andersen has been iffy at times, but mostly he looks like a jack-in-the-box, popping up and down and side to side, trying to see the puck. The D cant keep the sightlines clear for Freddy. When a big body plants himself in front, no Leaf even tries to move him.

Specifics with my eyeball grades:

Gardiner has had some good moments, far fewer brain cramps. (B+)
Rielly is, to my eyes, a slightly less skilled Gardiner. And that is all. (B-)
Zaitsev has been inconsistent. He is one of the few who will occasionally try to play a physical game, but he is not very good at it.(C)
Hainsey has been solid and steady. (B+)
Rosen has looked overmatched, and he is not a physical defender.(D)
Borgman is the most likely to get physical. But man is he young. He needs to be a 6/7 and broken in very slowly. In a few years, maybe OK (D)
Carrick. I just do not see this guy. I dont see him doing anything of value out there. He does not have Gardiner's skill set, and he is undersized. He just seems like a boy playing with men out there. (D)

AI have no idea what their fancy stats are. The Leafs have carried the play for good parts of most games. But when the puck is in their end, not great.

This is not a D corps built for playoff success.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion, for what its worth:

The D is a mess.

They have improved on getting the puck out of their own zone. A lot.
There have only been a few situations where they have been chasing the other team in the TOR end

But

They are Soft. Very soft. As in "gonna lose in the first round again" soft. Andersen has been iffy at times, but mostly he looks like a jack-in-the-box, popping up and down and side to side, trying to see the puck. The D cant keep the sightlines clear for Freddy. When a big body plants himself in front, no Leaf even tries to move him.

Specifics with my eyeball grades:

Gardiner has had some good moments, far fewer brain cramps. (B+)
Rielly is, to my eyes, a slightly less skilled Gardiner. And that is all. (B-)
Zaitsev has been inconsistent. He is one of the few who will occasionally try to play a physical game, but he is not very good at it.(C)
Hainsey has been solid and steady. (B+)
Rosen has looked overmatched, and he is not a physical defender.(D)
Borgman is the most likely to get physical. But man is he young. He needs to be a 6/7 and broken in very slowly. In a few years, maybe OK (D)
Carrick. I just do not see this guy. I dont see him doing anything of value out there. He does not have Gardiner's skill set, and he is undersized. He just seems like a boy playing with men out there. (D)

AI have no idea what their fancy stats are. The Leafs have carried the play for good parts of most games. But when the puck is in their end, not great.

This is not a D corps built for playoff success.
I don't know how Zaitsev's defensive play has been but if he keeps scoring at this rate I'm happy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every member of the Leafs is above 50% in scoring chances for/against.

YFlbW3c.png

Sidenote: Holy shit Naz!

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every member of the Leafs is above 50% in scoring chances for/against.

YFlbW3c.png

Sidenote: Holy shit Naz!

:scratch:

I thought Marner was demoted because he, Bozak and JVR were so weak defensively?

BTW, missed the first period against the Caps, despite the score, not sure they were much better defensively. WAS was pretty soft most of the night. But will take the SO

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

I thought Marner was demoted because he, Bozak and JVR were so weak defensively?

BTW, missed the first period against the Caps, despite the score, not sure they were much better defensively. WAS was pretty soft most of the night. But will take the SO
My theory on Marner is that he wanted to isolate the other two and analyze how they are defensively without Marner's puck-carrying ability while giving Marner a little kick to get him producing a bit more goal-wise. He still had a decent-amount of minutes - he actually had more minutes than JVR and only played 45 seconds fewer than Bozak last night.

The defence were as good as they had to be, I guess. Leafs dominated play for long stretches and should've potted another goal or two at least. They weren't great in the 6-on-5 at the end.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know how to parse this. Help for Hainsey and Zaitsev on the PK? Babs fed up with Carrick?

I don't know how this is an answer to anything.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know how to parse this. Help for Hainsey and Zaitsev on the PK? Babs fed up with Carrick?

I don't know how this is an answer to anything.

Agreed, to all of the above.

Andersen had a not so good game Saturday.

I thought D was a "little" better clearing the front of the net.

This will be a recurring theme all year. Lots of 6-5 games, methinks.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody has to give the Kings their first regulation loss of the season, it might as well be the Leafs.