• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colts - "Everyone Should get a try" and and "trophy"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about no OT coin flip, the last team to score DOESN'T get the ball first.
That one isnt bad, actually.

I still dont really see much of an issue with the current rules. They make the end of games exciting. Teams are rewarded for having good QB play and being able to save their timeouts to get to OT in the first place. We've just seen two straight Super Bowls mainly won from great defensive line play so its not like the league has shifted too far towards offense.

OT rules aren't going to get people to stop complaining. Ref calls matter 10x more and that will always be a fallback for upset fans whether its rational or not.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about no OT coin flip, the last team to score DOESN'T get the ball first.
That’s actually what I wrote before I changed it to team with last possession but that is iffy bc of kneeling. Last team to score is an extended game and it makes perfect sense

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s actually what I wrote before I changed it to team with last possession but that is iffy bc of kneeling. Last team to score is an extended game and it makes perfect sense
Last possession would be a mistake as you alluded to because teams could kneel and/or punt on 2nd/3rd down to NOT be in possession as the clock expires. Technically, automatically losing/defaulting on the OT coin toss would be better than a NOT having the ball first rule.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last possession would be a mistake as you alluded to because teams could kneel and/or punt on 2nd/3rd down to NOT be in possession as the clock expires. Technically, automatically losing/defaulting on the OT coin toss would be better than a NOT having the ball first rule.
That's why I say last to score in essence loses the non-existent coin flip.
If a team puts together a 6+Minute drive and scores with no time left then wins the flip the other D is gassed starting the OT on the field.

With that said I'd prefer to not change any of the OT rules.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College - Each team starts at the 25
Pros - Each team starts at midfield. One false start or holding call will cripple you.

That should've always been the formula.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College - Each team starts at the 25
Pros - Each team starts at midfield. One false start or holding call will cripple you.

That should've always been the formula.
No way do I want to see any thing close to that college gimmick in the NFL.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it forces team B to score a TD if team A goes FG, and it limits the chances of being tied at the end.

There's just one tie possibility. If no team scores on their one opportunity.

I may be penalizing team A making them go for two, but it also ends the game if they make it.
I am not liking this idea, however. Team A could defer so they get the ball 2nd, knowing what they need to do. Since both teams get the ball anyways no matter what.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I say last to score in essence loses the non-existent coin flip.
If a team puts together a 6+Minute drive and scores with no time left then wins the flip the other D is gassed starting the OT on the field.

With that said I'd prefer to not change any of the OT rules.
actually doing away with the coin flip & the team that didnt score last got the ball in overtime. I could be okay with.
Might make some coaches go for 2 or not so easily settle for a FG to tie, if they know they were to lose the flip. We might actually avoid some overtimes if we removed the question of chance to start.

No_Adams_Apple

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever results in more player safety is the only thing that matters here. It disturbs me that people even approve of overtime. I'd be fine with a co-winner of a game, even the Super Bowl.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play an extra quarter and if it's still tied it's a tie, but if it's the playoffs and it's still tied the home team wins. Home team in the playoffs has earned the benefit of the doubt.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play an extra quarter and if it's still tied it's a tie, but if it's the playoffs and it's still tied the home team wins. Home team in the playoffs has earned the benefit of the doubt.
I was with you until the home team bit. In the playoffs, if the OT period doesn't decide the winner, just continue the OT untimed until someone wins.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, that's one of the more radical ideas I've ever heard. People already complain every time a division winner hosts a game against a wild card team that has a better record.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was with you until the home team bit. In the playoffs, if the OT period doesn't decide the winner, just continue the OT untimed until someone wins.
Yeah, that's better, but sudden death is the reason people are complaining in the first place. Could keep adding ten-minute periods. I'd love that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's better, but sudden death is the reason people are complaining in the first place. Could keep adding ten-minute periods. I'd love that.
Is it really still sudden death if they continue beyond an OT period? At some time, the game has to end.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it really still sudden death if they continue beyond an OT period? At some time, the game has to end.
I like the war of attrition, but I'm weird.

Didn't some college football game have a crazy number of overtimes last year?