• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colts - "Everyone Should get a try" and and "trophy"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL overtime changes coming? Colts submit a proposal to guarantee each team an OT possession, per report

The Indianapolis Colts have submitted a proposal to guarantee each team an overtime possession, according to NFL Network's Judy Battista. If approved, the rule change would apply both to the regular and postseason.

Rich McKay, chair of the NFL's competition committee, said that possible changes to overtime will undoubtedly be brought up when the committee meets this week, according to Battista. Teams may propose overtime changes for solely the postseason or for both the regular season as well as the postseason. It is unclear whether there is enough of a league-wide consensus to alter the league's current overtime format.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about equal opportunities without a kicker.

TD and 2 pointers only. Of course the OT ends on any defensive score.

Well get rid of 1 pointers at least. Keep the FGs.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have no idea why they need to change it.

If you cant stop a team from going down and scoring a TD on you in the first possession of OT, you dont deserve to win.

This! 100% This!

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO... and this is impossible to enforce... But it should all depend on the game itself... a defensive struggle that goes into OT, i kind of like the current rules...

But if it is a scoring bonanza... the current rules just is the luck of the coin...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO... and this is impossible to enforce... But it should all depend on the game itself... a defensive struggle that goes into OT, i kind of like the current rules...

But if it is a scoring bonanza... the current rules just is the luck of the coin...
True, I guess teams have to do a better job a calling heads/tails.

IMO the current rule is fine because all teams play under the same rule.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF anything just do away with OT then... But don't give each team a "chance"

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does suck to lose in OT after losing the coin flip but usually there are also plays that happen that your team has already blown which is why its in OT to begin with.

The last thing the NFL needs is longer football games.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does suck to lose in OT after losing the coin flip but usually there are also plays that happen that your team has already blown which is why its in OT to begin with.

The last thing the NFL needs is longer football games.

It does but that is why you have a defense.. You know to prevent a score.. You can't do that then ok, you lose... You also had your chances during regular time and couldn't get it done then either

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF anything just do away with OT then... But don't give each team a "chance"
Regular season, YES, playoffs NO

I'd be good with all the ties. Think about all of the what ifs the final two weeks on who gets into the playoffs and who doesn’t with the tie breaker scenarios.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular season overtime is a negative result for the teams that have to play it. The longer the overtime period goes the greater the negative impact. Getting the ball first means you get either the same number or 1 additional possession on which to score. Potentially it's a 2-1 advantage. If an equal number of possessions are guaranteed it would be a disadvantage to have the offensive possession first, as it is in baseball. Equal opportunity doesn't equate to being fair.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular season, YES, playoffs NO

I'd be good with all the ties. Think about all of the what ifs the final two weeks on who gets into the playoffs and who doesn’t with the tie breaker scenarios.

I just meant do another quarter instead of calling it OT...

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regular season overtime is a negative result for the teams that have to play it. The longer the overtime period goes the greater the negative impact. Getting the ball first means you get either the same number or 1 additional possession on which to score. Potentially it's a 2-1 advantage. If an equal number of possessions are guaranteed it would be a disadvantage to have the offensive possession first, as it is in baseball. Equal opportunity doesn't equate to being fair.
I'd be on board getting rid of extra innings in baseball too, or at least limiting it to 3. If after 12 and it's still tied, so be it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have no idea why they need to change it.

If you cant stop a team from going down and scoring a TD on you in the first possession of OT, you dont deserve to win.
I was for it, but now I agree with you. Just leave it as it is. Stop the opposing team from scoring on opening drive in overtime.

If you change to where both teams possess the ball, then the coin toss is better off losing it, because as the second team, you know exactly what you have to do to win or tie. The first team with the ball is at the disadvantage not knowing. They basically have to score a TD and keep opposing team from scoring TD, otherwise, anything less and they have a great chance of losing with the opposing team already know what they need to win.

I agree, just leave it as it is. At least the tiny bit of 50/50 luck plays into this instead of giving the advantage to the team who loses the coin toss.

Either that, or you see the winner of the coin toss choose to kickoff every time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does but that is why you have a defense.. You know to prevent a score.. You can't do that then ok, you lose... You also had your chances during regular time and couldn't get it done then either
Pretty much. Chiefs have been in 3 of the 4 OT scenarios recently (won on coin flip and won the game, won on coin flip and lost the game, lost the coin flip and lost the game) so it can be pretty varied.

The reality is that even the best offenses in the league only score a TD like 40% of the time on drives. For other teams, that number is even lower. I realize that defenses get tired but the defenses have also had all game to hit the QB and if you haven't done by OT then thats on your defense.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. Chiefs have been in 3 of the 4 OT scenarios recently (won on coin flip and won the game, won on coin flip and lost the game, lost the coin flip and lost the game) so it can be pretty varied.

The reality is that even the best offenses in the league only score a TD like 40% of the time on drives. For other teams, that number is even lower. I realize that defenses get tired but the defenses have also had all game to hit the QB and if you haven't done by OT then thats on your defense.

Though if NFL changed it they'd get a shit ton more money from television

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about as simple as this... take away the coin flip... and the HOME team always gets the ball first...

what this will make the end of the regular game more fun to... because the away team will often try NOT to get in to OT...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though if NFL changed it they'd get a shit ton more money from television
How so? The tv rights have already been paid for and the broadcasters have already run their scheduled ads before OT. How would OT changes generate extra money and how would the NFL get it?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about as simple as this... take away the coin flip... and the HOME team always gets the ball first...

what this will make the end of the regular game more fun to... because the away team will often try NOT to get in to OT...
There would be consequences. Would tying up the game be worth the effort for a road team that was losing by 8 points with 60 seconds left in the 4th quarter? If they're down by 7 and they score you could bet they'd go for 2.