• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College football fan bases by tier.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama has picked up quite a few “fans” since Saban came onboard. I think their labeling fits them perfectly.
Winning does create MORE success but Alabama fans have been Alabama fans for years and stay fans through thick and thin.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning does create MORE success but Alabama fans have been Alabama fans for years and stay fans through thick and thin.

Some do and some don’t. It’s not a bad problem to have but this board seems to pick up a few new bama “fans” each year. An this isn’t just directed at bandwagon bama fans, it’s all bandy jumpers.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't. They don't have a University of Victoria logo here so... even if they did, I probably wouldn't have it, ended on bad terms with the administration.

I have been a ND fan since 2003
You do realize that when he says he has meals with coaches what it actually means is that he keeps the tea glasses full.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some do and some don’t. It’s not a bad problem to have but this board seems to pick up a few new bama “fans” each year. An this isn’t just directed at bandwagon bama fans, it’s all bandy jumpers.
Having grown up and being a fan of Alabama for over 60 years the core fan base has always been great to support the teams and the school. I understand how the success of Alabama has raised interest in the school. Heck there are now more out of state students than in state. The University is loving the extra coins.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having grown up and being a fan of Alabama for over 60 years the core fan base has always been great to support the teams and the school. I understand how the success of Alabama has raised interest in the school. Heck there are now more out of state students than in state. The University is loving the extra coins.

I have no doubt there are some that have. I am talking about the Johnny come lately and I have absolutely no connection to the tide fans that come around. Duke, UNC and Kentucky basketball also enjoy that.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt there are some that have. I am talking about the Johnny come lately and I have absolutely no connection to the tide fans that come around. Duke, UNC and Kentucky basketball also enjoy that.
I have a good friend who moved here years ago and he told me that he was told to choose Alabama or Auburn if he wanted to get along. Alabama residents are largely one of the two with some pushing for other schools but that group is decidedly in the minority. During my travels I have always gotten great response from football fans when talking CFB.

Naturally there have been some latelys but not that many in the State.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a good friend who moved here years ago and he told me that he was told to choose Alabama or Auburn if he wanted to get along. Alabama residents are largely one of the two with some pushing for other schools but that group is decidedly in the minority. During my travels I have always gotten great response from football fans when talking CFB.

Naturally there have been some latelys but not that many in the State.

No I’m not talking the state. I’m talking the ones that join here or anywhere else and talk smack when they’ve never been to the state or have no connection to it. It’s the epitome of bandwagon. An it doesn’t just happen to Alabama.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I’m not talking the state. I’m talking the ones that join here or anywhere else and talk smack when they’ve never been to the state or have no connection to it. It’s the epitome of bandwagon. An it doesn’t just happen to Alabama.
Yep it happens all the time and those really don't bother me and the University enjoys the money. Loyalty switching is just part of the facts of life in the sports world.

When the streak of great NC type of seasons runs out, as it usually does, they will move on but I will still be here:D

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it happens all the time and those really don't bother me and the University enjoys the money. Loyalty switching is just part of the facts of life in the sports world.

When the streak of great NC type of seasons runs out, as it usually does, they will move on but I will still be here:D

You call it loyalty switching, I call it bandwagoning. But you are right, shit happens.

Smotis

Stunning and Brave
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst bandwagon I've seen was in MLB. Back when the Red Sox were starting to get good again everyone was all of the sudden Red Sox fans, then the giants a few years later, and more recently with the cubs. But since then I hardly see any fans of either team.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst bandwagon I've seen was in MLB. Back when the Red Sox were starting to get good again everyone was all of the sudden Red Sox fans, then the giants a few years later, and more recently with the cubs. But since then I hardly see any fans of either team.
Yep seems to be more prevalent in pro sports versus college.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's no such thing as real Cubs fans. Just no way. Unless he or she is in their 100's.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong again.

When you grow up pulling for a team your loyalty doesn't change because you got offered a scholly to another school or accepted to another school because they carry your major. You may very well root for 2 teams at that point, but your loyalty isn't going to change. Your premise is flawed.
Agreed. If you went to a an FCS school or lower there is no reason you cannot adopt an FBS to cheer and follow. Same goes for sports you school may not have had (example: Loyola, DePaul, etc.). I went to an FCS school and have cheered for ND my entire life. If ND ever played my Alma Mater in a sport other than football (ND will not schedule FCS teams in football as you know) then I am for my Alma Mater. There is no conflict there, and if there was very few people could ever cheer for a Pro Team.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama actually has BOTH a large Hard Core Life-long fan base (most of the in state fan base) + Bandwagon fans (out of state) NOW due to the success. Take away the Bandwagon fans in a few years - when things get rough, and they are still going to fill their 100,000 seat stadium regularly with their die-hard, loyal, Alabama crimson and white blinders on. Trying to say that Alabama only has fans due to bandwagon success is simply silly. They are clearly a Tier I fan-base and have been for longer than Saban has been in town.

Last edited:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a lot of similarities between Alabama and Oregon fans. The state breathes football 24/7
Correct they are both complete assholes.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama actually has BOTH a large Hard Core Life-long fan base (most of the in state fan base) + Bandwagon fans (out of state) NOW due to the success. Take away the Bandwagon fans in a few years - when things get rough, and they are still going to fill their 100,000 seat stadium regularly with their die-hard, loyal, Alabama crimson and white blinders on. Trying to say that Alabama only has fans due to bandwagon success is simply silly. They are clearly a Tier I fan-base and have been for longer than Saban has been in town.
Let Alabama have a bad season and the student section is half empty at halftime. 15% are Alumni and decent fans the other 85% are idiots and treat the program like a pro team.

UNA Lion

Roar Lions & Roll Tide!
Hoopla Cash
$ 756.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn fans when their team is winning:
tenor.gif

Auburn fans when their team is losing:
tenor.gif

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this with the Patriots. Growing up you never saw a Patriots fan around here. Hell, you really didn't believe they had any fans back then. Now they are everywhere and I live in SC. These asshats wouldn't last a day when winter kicks in up there.