• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering what my Badger brethren thought about our upcoming coaching search after the shocking news that Bielema is leaving for Arkansas. Rumors are swirling that we have three official candidates on our short list: Paul Chryst, Mel Tucker, and Pat Fitzgerald.

That's honestly a really good short list, IMO. I want Chryst to get the job (and said as much before Bielema left). Tucker is a bit of an unknown, but he has a solid record as a DC and it couldn't hurt recruiting to have a Black coach. Also, I think Fitzgerald is an outstanding coach who could build a title contender in Madison.

Other names which are popping up:
Joe Rudolph (Don't think he's ready, but has long-term potential)
Barry Alvarez (I only like this if we can't get a good name this time around)
Dave Doeren (I'd be very happy with him but NC State is gonna keep him)
Chris Petersen (Won't hurt to offer, but no chance in hell he takes it)
Chris Ash (Likely to coach Rose Bowl...really don't want to hire him)
Darrell Bevell (Not a fan at all)
Charlie Partridge (Sounds like he's being DC at Arky)

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea:

I'm still just processing WTF could possibly have happened. We all had our complaints. The media in this state has handled him roughly. But I don't know, did he feel unwelcome in his own facilities with his own guys? Because they sure as hell didn't have any problems performing in the CCG. He's not going to get better treatment in Arkansas in terms of the media and the fans. It'll be up and down. Our prospects for next season seem better, with Stave returning and Phillips likely to win his medical appeal(he's a textbook case). Borland, Armstrong, White, Gordon, Abbredaris all eligible to come back.

Anyway. I think about the options some more. What's with the Gene Chizik rumors??

sandhill_husker

Huskers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the avi there Smart.

Oh, and please hire Chizik. (im kidding, no one deserves that)

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beilema is a douche...he will struggle without Barry by his side

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Am I the only one who finds the SB Nation guys really annoying sometimes?)

There's a big Badger family out there, but I'm not sure all of these rumors have any substance.

Paul Chryst went to Pitt to accomplish something. I think he's out of the picture.

Mel Tucker? I don't even... I know he's a Badger but he's also a coach at JACKSONVILLE. Not a great resume', even if it isn't his fault.

Joe Rudolph? Chryst's assistant? Chryst calls the plays...

I'm not interested in Darrell Bevell at all. Stay in Seattle dude.

Bob Diaco, Notre Dame's DC. Now that intrigues me.

Willie Taggert...I'm not sure about that at all. Winning at Western Kentucky with that schedule can't be that huge of a turn around. Like our runningbacks don't already have an awesome position coach?

Dave Doeren. Apparently even we pay more than NC State. He knows the players. He knows a lot of the coaches. He's a good front man and a smart coach. He may be able to help keep some continuity. I like it.

Pat Fitzgerald is awesome.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butch Davis should be at least mentioned. He is a heck of a coach. As far as Doeren, there is apparently a 3.5 million dollar buyout, according to Debbie yow (ad at nc state)

Knightmare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id rather have Butch if i am the person calling the shots.

I think Tressal would make OSU fans swear more, especially in the battle for recruits. Just my opinion anyway.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Am I the only one who finds the SB Nation guys really annoying sometimes?)

There's a big Badger family out there, but I'm not sure all of these rumors have any substance.

Paul Chryst went to Pitt to accomplish something. I think he's out of the picture.

Mel Tucker? I don't even... I know he's a Badger but he's also a coach at JACKSONVILLE. Not a great resume', even if it isn't his fault.

Joe Rudolph? Chryst's assistant? Chryst calls the plays...

I'm not interested in Darrell Bevell at all. Stay in Seattle dude.

Bob Diaco, Notre Dame's DC. Now that intrigues me.

Willie Taggert...I'm not sure about that at all. Winning at Western Kentucky with that schedule can't be that huge of a turn around. Like our runningbacks don't already have an awesome position coach?

Dave Doeren. Apparently even we pay more than NC State. He knows the players. He knows a lot of the coaches. He's a good front man and a smart coach. He may be able to help keep some continuity. I like it.

Pat Fitzgerald is awesome.

Read an article that said Chryst is home sick for Wisconsin, also, Pitt fans seem in panic mode after their head fanboy made a bunch of posts on Chryst on their 24/7 site. Some even saying there was a meeting with team where he did not say he was definitely staying. I think if you guys offer Chryst, he is gone. Pitt is a stepping stone job. There is no fanbase, tough to recruit to a half empty stadium. They get fortunate when some bigtime players with personal problems in their backyard go there (Top RB Shell last year had newborn twins in Spring, killing his dreams of Bama or OSU, several high end area kids this year have family issues that may keep them home as well), but ND, Michigan, OSU, PSU, etc cherry pick the best guys 9/10 times. They are heading to a conference on the cusp of imploding as well.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The show-cause would mean he couldn't coach the team the first 5 weeks and they'd have to skip a bowl game.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably will not happen, but I found this really interesting

"Another source close to the UW Athletic Department said Alvarez has been in contact with Boise State coach Chris Petersen and an interview could happen as early as Monday.

Both UW sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, because they have not been cleared to speak publicly on these issues."

Updated: Barry Alvarez to coach UW in the Rose Bowl; names surface in job search : Sports

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Paul Chryst wants to come back as offensive coordinator for Chris Peterson, I'd frankly shit my pants with a huge smile on my face.

I'd also gladly take either one of them as head coach.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway. Sounds to me like we should all write Alvarez a letter and inform him that we'd like the assistants to make more money. Wisconsin is a top 10 athletic budget.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably will not happen, but I found this really interesting

"Another source close to the UW Athletic Department said Alvarez has been in contact with Boise State coach Chris Petersen and an interview could happen as early as Monday.

Both UW sources spoke on the condition of anonymity, because they have not been cleared to speak publicly on these issues."

Updated: Barry Alvarez to coach UW in the Rose Bowl; names surface in job search : Sports

Sounds like every name we heard last year. We were talking to Petersen, he was interested, etc. With Kelly likely to leave Oregon this year, its far more likely Petersen ends up there. Seems like a real west coast guy. Al Golden would be a GREAT hire for you guys as well. Guy turned around a program on the verge of being shut down by the school at Temple, is a great recruiter and would be a great fit in B1G. With Miami facing more, possibly severe, sanctions, they may be able to convince him to leave south Beach.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like every name we heard last year. We were talking to Petersen, he was interested, etc. With Kelly likely to leave Oregon this year, its far more likely Petersen ends up there. 1 Seems like a real west coast guy. Al Golden would be a GREAT hire for you guys as well. 2Guy turned around a program on the verge of being shut down by the school at Temple, is a great recruiter and would be a great fit in B1G. With Miami facing more, possibly severe, sanctions, they may be able to convince him to leave south Beach.

1. Link?

2. What? Al Golden has done....absolutely nothing. Temple is "turned around?" He's a "great recruiter?" Where are the results on the field against real competition to back that up?

Sorry, I understand everyone has theories and opinions, but you're going to have to do better.