• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching Search

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am trying to understand where it comes from. Someone in another thread said sun belt coaches would be a better coaches. I can understand him being old though.

He's just a hard sale for Barry to make with the UW fans. He may be a good coach, but both of the teams he coached kind of tainted his name with scandals. That's all most people know about him.

The other thing about Barry is this. He knows he has a locker room full of 3 or 4 star guys who felt over looked and work hard with chips on their shoulders. I don't think he'll want to hire a recruiting paper tiger. He wants someone who knows how to go out and get the Montee Balls, the Scott Tolziens, the Mike Taylors and Chris Borlands, the Aaron Henrys, the walk on linemen who become studs....the list could go on for miles. I don't know if Butch is that kind of recruiter.

^ And on that note, it is very possible that Alvarez will hunt around for a fellow Haden Fry apprentice.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just a hard sale for Barry to make with the UW fans. He may be a good coach, but both of the teams he coached kind of tainted his name with scandals. That's all most people know about him.

The other thing about Barry is this. He knows he has a locker room full of 3 or 4 star guys who felt over looked and work hard with chips on their shoulders. I don't think he'll want to hire a recruiting paper tiger. He wants someone who knows how to go out and get the Montee Balls, the Scott Tolziens, the Mike Taylors and Chris Borlands, the Aaron Henrys, the walk on linemen who become studs....the list could go on for miles. I don't know if Butch is that kind of recruiter.

^ And on that note, it is very possible that Alvarez will hunt around for a fellow Haden Fry apprentice.

Fan bases are uneducated if they think Miami tainted his legacy at all. But, its very possible that ADs across the country think about Butch the same way fans do. But Butch did not get in trouble at Miami...at all. Miami did not get in trouble when Butch Davis was there either. He came into Miami and they had sanctions placed on them as a result of the previous coaching staff. He had never coached a game and they lost scholarships and received a bowl ban. As far as can Butch recruit at Wisconsin, I doubt it. Thats why i didn't want him hired there. He can turn 2 and 3 stars into NFL caliber players, but I don't know if he can do it at Wisconsin. I don't really know who is going to be the kind of coach to do that though. I understand your points completely though.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I know you're not trying to annoy me, but you are. Wisconsin has been second only to Alabama in players drafted to the NFL for the last couple of years. They did it with players who were walk ons, 2, 3, MAYBE 4 star recruits. Everything you just described Butch Davis doing, someone already did at Wisconsin. Wisconsin would only revive the guy's reputation. This is a pointless conversation. He's not in the picture because there are proven coaches in the discussion who are younger. I'll tell you something else. I don't really think Butch Davis is impressive. What did North Carolina really do? Nothing. And the ACC is weak. If you didn't want him hired at Wisconsin, just drop it, because you aren't making sense.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I know you're not trying to annoy me, but you are. Wisconsin has been second only to Alabama in players drafted to the NFL for the last couple of years. They did it with players who were walk ons, 2, 3, MAYBE 4 star recruits. Everything you just described Butch Davis doing, someone already did at Wisconsin. Wisconsin would only revive the guy's reputation. This is a pointless conversation. He's not in the picture because there are proven coaches in the discussion who are younger. I'll tell you something else. I don't really think Butch Davis is impressive. What did North Carolina really do? Nothing. And the ACC is weak. If you didn't want him hired at Wisconsin, just drop it, because you aren't making sense.

I hope you don't think Im trying to take away from anything Wisconsin has done. I'm not sure there are coaching candidates available that will have a significant impact on the way Wisconsin gets players in the NFL. I think they'll continue to produce nfl talent. I know, as do you, Butch isn't getting hired thats not what i was trying to accomplish...obviously. I was looking for the reason why people had a negative opinion of him, and i got that in this post.

Sorry for annoying you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you don't think Im trying to take away from anything Wisconsin has done. I'm not sure there are coaching candidates available that will have a significant impact on the way Wisconsin gets players in the NFL. I think they'll continue to produce nfl talent. I know, as do you, Butch isn't getting hired thats not what i was trying to accomplish...obviously. I was looking for the reason why people had a negative opinion of him, and i got that in this post.

Sorry for annoying you.

Guess I just misunderstood.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the only people who have interviewed are Willie Taggert and Chris Peterson. Peterson was in town today. The fact that he came for an interview at all makes me kind of happy. I don't know if Taggert impressed Alvarez or not (seems likely given his background), but it would be hard to top Peterson.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news. Bleacherreport is one of the worst analyst sites I've seen. Their theory is that Bielema left for the SEC because he couldn't beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. So he thought he would try his hand against LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Florida....?? Idiots.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I've read that Peterson never even came to Madison.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So. Is there something inherently wrong here? Listen to what Chryst very diplomatically stated.

I think that Bret's a smart guy and made an informed decision and I don't think stunned would be the right word," Chryst said. "I think it's good for him. He's probably very happy and that's good. There are opportunities. There's a new challenge."

Is it really Barry's shadow? Is it pay?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Badger Bits: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Trust Barry Alvarez - Bucky's 5th Quarter

Keep cool. There will be a time for panic if it's justified. I, too, love to skewer public figures with my keyboard, but there's no point hitting Caps Lock just yet. In fact, there's no point doing anything at this point. A few days ago, and against our best instincts, we thought Chris Petersen was interviewing in Madison. As it turns out, the men on the beat were taken for rubes and again reduced to hunches.

There's no one to trust anymore, no where to turn, and that makes you free. Something is happening that you can't know, so just let it go. Get numb, people. Relax, clear your mind, breathe slowly ...with me ... wwwooooooosssss--Ryan Evans made two straight free throws last night--sssssshhhhhhhhhh ...

:lol:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still smoke around Chryst leaving Pitt to go back to Wisky after bowl game here locally. I know what Alvarez said earlier, but if Chryst ends up being the best guy for the job he can get, I don't think he'll hesitate to take him from Pitt and I think Chryst would be gone in a second.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for Andy Buh staying around. The smoke you're hearing about Chryst is probably just for the ratings. It isn't really like him to bullshit, but I guess that's the name of the game.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for Andy Buh staying around. The smoke you're hearing about Chryst is probably just for the ratings. It isn't really like him to bullshit, but I guess that's the name of the game.

Its from people who have connections to some Pitt boosters, not media. They are still worried and will be until Wisky has a head coach named. I still think many of them feel Alvarez will coach a year and take Chryst back next season.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not going to coach a year. If he were going to do that, he would have done it before he lost 5 assistants he really wanted to keep. In fact he directly quoted on that. They were given 24 hours to make a decision, and Barry couldn't promise them that the next HC was going to keep them, and he said he wouldn't speed the process up. That was the last time that Barry considered coming back, to keep those 5 assistants, and then he said..."but if I did it for a year we would just be right back in the same situation."

So it's a non-issue. Chryst will be at Pitt, and the Badger recruits won't move until Barry makes a decision and they get a call from the new HC. That's all it is.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Badger fans. You know who I just started wondering about? Bob Bostad.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gary Andersen of Utah State has been confirmed as interviewing yesterday. He was a name that was considered an initial favorite before saying he "like Utah State."

In other words, he is the new heavy favorite for the job.