• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaches Poll is out

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky has the depth and that's why they're pre season #1. Arizona has the best starting five and Wisconsin will be a legit contender.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but you are the same guy who was all butthurt about Arizona being ranked ahead of Wisky last year PRE Brandon Ashley injury, were you not? That's what I remember and why I said what I said. If I'm mistaken about that then I apologize. But Kentucky beat you and instead of losing all the frosh they only lost two. Your team doesn't have as large a ceiling to improve as they do, evidenced by how much they improved last year from beginning of the season to the end, with a similar ability to do so this year but with more experience and more depth. That is something you are gonna have to accept with such a young team. And to poo poo their incoming class? Good luck with that. Have you ever really seen Karl Towns play? Good lord.

Do I think they will certainly beat you if you meet again? Of course not. Do I think Arizona is better than Kentucky? Yes. But am I surprised and angry they are preseason #1? Of course not, because I know better than that. Apparently you don't.

That was Great Dayne.

That guy is on another level of stupid.

Edit. Should have kept reading I see you both already clarified it was that bumbling fool.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get how we could be as good or better than Kentucky all year, lose by one after they hit a miracle three, return seven of our top eight, and be ranked lower. People do remember Julius Randle, right? He was by far their best player, and he is gone now. James Young was their best player in the game against us, and he's gone too.

But because of their new Freshman class (their worst in several years), they are better than us? It's preposterous. Luckily, it won't matter because there is the tournament, but it is still absurd and indefensible.

Their freshman class is actually really good. Towns is going to be HUGE for them last year. Since they were the runner up and return a ton with a big time class I have no problems with them at 1.

I would however put Wisco at 2 right now and I have no idea why the shit Duke is higher than them.

But who cares?

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Nova, Big East got a total of 9 votes. Pathetic. :doh:

BE is gona be bad this year lol.

Gtown could turn this around and be a solid 4/5 seed if Thompson doesn't have his usual collapse but its iffy and X should be solid but the rest is blahhh

Butler is looking like a horrible addition.

Luckily by next year Gtown and MU should both be fully back to normal and very, very strong along with obviously Nova and then X. To make 4 very good teams.

But this year its going to be 1 and pray a few surprise(Prov and SJU??).

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have with ranking Kentucky number 1 is the same problem I had last year and the year before. The reason you are ranking them number 1 is based on a completley unkown projection. UK has talent returning but make no mistake their ranking is where it is based on the incoming guys. While that is fine I dont see a reason to rank an unknown ahead of a known in the preseason/ If after 7 or 8 games UK is blowing everyone out by 20+ then by all means rank them number 1 and it will be fine by me. A more likely scenario ( like last year ) is that the young kids struggle to mesh with the returning guys and it takes half a season or so for them to come together. Now if you are ranking them number 1 based on where you think they END the year then I can see a lefit number 1 arggument but most people dont do their rankings like that.

That's how college basketball has been now for many years. Teams are graded on potential because pro talent never stays past two years.

And teams that return several veterans of largely non-NBA players (Wisconsin, UVA, and Villanova) are put below those teams that have NBA players.

In contrast, Michigan's Fab 5 entered the season ranked 20th. 1991-1992. They were ranked behind DePaul!

Last edited by a moderator:

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing causes more consternation than a "pre-season poll".:nod:

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get how we could be as good or better than Kentucky all year, lose by one after they hit a miracle three, return seven of our top eight, and be ranked lower. People do remember Julius Randle, right? He was by far their best player, and he is gone now. James Young was their best player in the game against us, and he's gone too.

But because of their new Freshman class (their worst in several years), they are better than us? It's preposterous. Luckily, it won't matter because there is the tournament, but it is still absurd and indefensible.

I'll give that a shot!

Willie Cauley Stein - Jr
Alex Poythress - Jr
Harrison Twins - Sophomores
Dakari Johnson - Soph

All of these guys got a lot of pt last year. Every one of them except Cauley Stein also got a lot of tournament experience. These are the guys who will get most of the playing time, while the new freshmen learn the system and gradually get incorporated in the lineup. These are not freshmen. They are upperclass players with experience.....all of them were very highly ranked in high school.

You also have:
Marcus Lee - Soph
Derek Willis - Soph

also highly ranked coming out of high school.

Dominique Hawkins - Soph
EJ Floreal - Soph

Good reserve players

The freshman should gradually start to help the team as they learn the system. That is the point when you will start seeing them come in and begin to mesh with the older guys on the team.

Karl Towns, Trey Lyles, Devin Booker, Tyler Ulis
.....by the end of the season opposing fans of UK will start to know these names.

I'm not a fan of UK starting the season ranked number 1, but by the end of the season I think they might deserve that ranking.

TangoBlue

I'd cabeceo that cutie!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's it going Douggie? your guys look good for this year!

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy we all get to talk CBB again. Welcome back everyone, here's to a great season!

:suds:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regards to the arguments, I'll say the same thing every year. Do we even know if preseason polls are supposed to reflect where the voters see the teams now, or if it's them projecting the end of the year?

I just don't put any credence into it, anyway. Teams are going to come from nowhere, and teams are going to drop like flies. Happens every year. I'm glad to see AZ at #2, but I think the top 4 are interchangeable depending on who you ask.

Hoping for a great season, and wishing injuries upon no one.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How's it going Douggie? your guys look good for this year!

Whazzup Tango? Getting to be our favorite time of the year again! Thank God it's here. Hey, I'm just looking for a finish outta the first round. Maybe finally they break through this season. The ACC is gonna be a grind. Keeping my eye on the Danny Manning team down the street. He's doing some work recruiting. Here's to an injury-free season for all.:suds:

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With regards to the arguments, I'll say the same thing every year. Do we even know if preseason polls are supposed to reflect where the voters see the teams now, or if it's them projecting the end of the year?

I just don't put any credence into it, anyway. Teams are going to come from nowhere, and teams are going to drop like flies. Happens every year. I'm glad to see AZ at #2, but I think the top 4 are interchangeable depending on who you ask.

Hoping for a great season, and wishing injuries upon no one.

I don't think its where they think they end the year necessarily but I do think it is a projection based on talent. I think the preseason poll is basically saying if best case scenario for all teams played out here is how it would look...

And this would be pretty accurate except I would definitely have Wisco in the top 3.

Again, it really doesn't mean jack shit though. Hell rankings at any time don't really mean jack shit

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think its where they think they end the year necessarily but I do think it is a projection based on talent. I think the preseason poll is basically saying if best case scenario for all teams played out here is how it would look...

And this would be pretty accurate except I would definitely have Wisco in the top 3.

Again, it really doesn't mean jack shit though. Hell rankings at any time don't really mean jack shit

I see your point, and I guess that's mine: we don't really know, do we? Hell, some voters could be thinking what you are, some may think only right now, and some can think at the end.

Like you said, regardless, it's based on anticipated potential. So who knows. Last year's preseason had Wisky at 21, Virginia at 25, and MSU at 2. Indiana, Notre Dame, and Marquette were all ranked ,and Nova was nowhere near ranked.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could make an argument that Wisconsin should be #1, but so could UK, Duke & Zona. The good news is we'll have a chance to knock out #3 at home early in the season. Also have a chance to see #6 and #7 in the Battle 4 Atlantis. We take care of business, the rankings take care of themselves.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point, and I guess that's mine: we don't really know, do we? Hell, some voters could be thinking what you are, some may think only right now, and some can think at the end.

Like you said, regardless, it's based on anticipated potential. So who knows. Last year's preseason had Wisky at 21, Virginia at 25, and MSU at 2. Indiana, Notre Dame, and Marquette were all ranked ,and Nova was nowhere near ranked.

Agreed...UCONN was Pre-Season ranked #23 last season. Again, ringing hands now doesn't matter a bit.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wisconsin is loaded, but I think you will find out soon enough why the Cats are number 1. The biggest jump college kids make is from year one to year two. All the freshmen returning are gonna be far better, we actually have a couple of juniors as well. Then add in 4 McDonalds AA's, two of which are lottery picks and possible the number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft(KAT) and you have maybe the deepest college team in the last 20 years

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recruiting in a bubble doesn't matter. What matters is recruiting as compared to what you are losing. Kentucky's "#2 recruiting class" is replacing the top two players from last year's "best recruiting class ever." I don't understand how you think that favors Kentucky. Do you think their Freshmen will outperform Randle and Young? If they don't, and we improve, then those rankings are irrelevant.

And what does Cal's career tourney record have to do with this team? How often has Bo had a projected lottery pick? Once. This year, he has a projected lottery pick who isn't even considered the best player on the team. He may not even be the second best player on the team. This is easily his best team on paper. In fact, they are significantly better on paper than those teams that went 20-13 in the dance. It's not like we are comparing a typical Bo team to a typical Cal team. We are comparing this Badger team, which is Bo's best team but aged a year, to this Kentucky team. None of your arguments do anything to rebut the idea that we should be ranked higher.

Without a doubt they'll be better. Randle was an awesome player, but he wasn't the number 1 overall, not even top 5. Towns will be top 3, maybe even #1 overall. Lyles will be a 1st rounder. Plus two more freshmen AA's for the backcourt. WCS, Johnson, Poythress, Harrison, Harrison, all 1st rounders. Lee might be. Plus Kentucky beat the Badgers last year when UK's kids were almost all freshmen. Easy call really

Last edited by a moderator:

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a doubt they'll be better. Randle was an awesome player, but he wasn't the number 1 overall, not even top 5. Towns will be top 3, maybe even #1 overall. Lyles will be a 1st rounder. Plus two more freshmen AA's for the backcourt. WCS, Johnson, Poythress, Harrison, Harrison, all 1st rounders. Lee might be. Plus Kentucky beat the Badgers last year when UK's kids were almost all freshmen. Easy call really

Im a defender of UK's ranking, but I also feel strongly about a few things that I know you will disagree with me on
1) Poythress isn't good at basketball. Both Arizona and Wisconsin have small forwards that will eat him alive (Dekker and Hollis-Jefferson)
2) Lee is a bit player, nothing more. He is a good back up though, I'll give you that
3) Booker isn't ready to contribute yet. This is more of a hunch based on what I have seen when I've watched him play

Your depth won't help you as much as you want to believe against the elite teams, with injury/fluky foul trouble (which I'll admit can happen at any time) the exception there.

In other words, you can bring in towns Lyles Lee but they are not going to be better than a Zeus, Ashley, Hollis-Jefferson even if they are "fresher"