• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Peterson stepping down as UW coach after bowl game. Jimmy Lake named new HC.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how oregon fans bring up all the time how 0regon has owned Washington, yet they are cheering as the coach responsible for losing to 0regon has stepped down, so now there is uncertainty where as before yall had a good thing going.

Contradictory emotions in this thread

Petersen has the only 2 wins vs Oregon by a UW coach in the past 16 meetings.

Now that he's gone, the regularly scheduled beatdown of UW will resume.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AG, which boat was yours???
Huron-Boats-05072018-a-jpg.jpg

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better the devil you know

Nah, while that sentiment applies to some situations, I can't agree with it here.

Petersen was a better coach than Oregon's coach. Every time. Oregon had the edge on talent and was able to win most of the games, but Oregon never had the edge in the coaching department.

If Dabo or Saban leaves, no one at Auburn or South Carolina is going to be upset because the next coach might be better. Petersen was about the best possible coach obtainable for UW.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, while that sentiment applies to some situations, I can't agree with it here.

Petersen was a better coach than Oregon's coach. Every time. Oregon had the edge on talent and was able to win most of the games, but Oregon never had the edge in the coaching department.

If Dabo or Saban leaves, no one at Auburn or South Carolina is going to be upset because the next coach might be better. Petersen was about the best possible coach obtainable for UW.
LOL equating Dabo or Saban to petersen.......................................

Really?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL equating Dabo or Saban to petersen.......................................

Really?

Saban is about the best coach Alabama can hope for.
Dabo is about the best coach Clemson can hope for.
Petersen was the best coach UW could hope for.
Frost was the best coach UCF could hope for.

Having each of those 4 statements doesn't mean they are equivalent in terms of coaching ability or accomplishments. It is relative to each school.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban is about the best coach Alabama can hope for.
Dabo is about the best coach Clemson can hope for.
Petersen was the best coach UW could hope for.
Frost was the best coach UCF could hope for.

Having each of those 4 statements doesn't mean they are equivalent in terms of coaching ability or accomplishments. It is relative to each school.
i disagree, i think washington can and will find a better coach

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you'll be waiting a looooooooooooooong time.
They recently signed a pretty good endorsement deal with Adidas IIRC, they have a solid team and the rest of the staff is in tact so recruiting shouldnt take a hit. If Petersen was burnt out and not getting it done, you could see it as only potential. Time well tell.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was definitely true his first two years. UW’s talent and coaching where both superior in ‘16 and ‘17 (the two wins). Pretty equal last year, came down to a missed field goal. I don’t remember much about what I thought of the coaching either way. Oregon definitely had the talent edge this year. Was a close game that UW probably should have won, but hard to say Oregon’s talent just took over. They seemed to win the adjustment battle the second half. Not that it’s all on Petersen. He was gonna have to make some moves with his offensive staff this off season.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Busy first day back at work so no time to chime in today. What a really weird day. Not going back farther than the first couple of pages.
Does he coach again? USC?
He's only 55. Wouldn't be surprised if he coached again, but would be more than stunned if it was deeper in the media driven high level college arena. He had a disdain for the media, spotlight, and had been quite vocal against the pay for likeness stuff, recruiting cutthroat coaches, late night/friday night games and other issues with the Pac in general...

I could see him go to the NFL or back to the mid major level before a big time power.
Pretty curious as to why he's stepping down. Washington hasn't had a great year, but I never had the impression that his seat was remotely hot. He seemed to have a good thing going at Washington. Just really strange.
Some wonder if the lack of passion from the team this year reflected how down the coach looked/acted all season.

I doubt the off year drove him out, more than his burnout didn't help keep the team at it's peak.
He was a bit burnt out when he left Boise, I can only guess that continued.

Shocking for sure, but I guess he needs a break for a while.
Exactly what was said. We will learn more from his presser tomorrow. If his heart isn't into it and he can't give it the 24/7/365 the job demands then he should step away and everyone should support it.
A lot of UofW fans complained about him....MORAL, "Be careful what you wish for". The guy had a down year to be sure, but brought a program that was irrelevant for a quarter of a century back to prominence (or at least the prominence conversation) in a very short time. If he isn't looking for a break USC, any number of Big 10 and SEC programs will suck this guy up in a nanosecond.
Big difference between criticizing specific aspects of the staff or team and looking for him to be removed.

There won't be a fan that doesn't give him a ton of credit for leaving the program in a much better place after he left than when he came. That's 100% across the board accepted.

Further, he's stepping down plenty early enough to allow the staff to recover and work on keeping their class and getting staff replacements with lots of time. AND apparently staying on for now as a 'athletic consultant' which means he will be offering up a lot of support and advice for Lake and the program.

Those asking about the first thoughts on Lake getting promoted: Skeptical about Lake as a HC, but glad he's not leaving the program just for what he has brought to recruiting, developing that secondary, and his defensive mindset. Promoting from within has a dicey past across the sport. I'll give him time to see what he does with the offensive side. The defense will 100% be just fine.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up and comer coach. Has been given a few promotions to justify pay bumps to keep in around the past few years. Reportedly turned down offers from Alabama and the like. In hindsight, he probably saw this coming all things considered.

Co-defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake staying at Washington, with a smile on his face
You don't have an announcement of a coach stepping down with another one already in it naming not an interim, but full fledged promotion and terms of a deal without all of that being worked out for quite a while behind the scenes. I doubt it goes back the full two years Lake has been DC. But I'm sure it will come out that it was at least several weeks if not a few months in the coming.