• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chip Kelly Canned???

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imho... Kelly had some ideas regarding tempo that other teams (including belichick) have incorporated into their scheme. It's not a scheme in itself, it's just temp and the importance of better cardio in preparation. It causes defenses to tire, make more mistakes, gives you better mismatches and against tired players. So some of what Chip brought was good - and you can already see many other teams doing it.

However, Chips big problem is it was completely neutralized by the 3 and outs. Time of possession is still a very important part of the engine. If your temp is fast, but your getting your offense off the field fast, the opposing defense is RESTING and the only thing your doing.. is... WEARING OUT YOUR OWN DEFENSE! Chip never seemed to adjust to this.

I also think the issue with him unable to deal with big personalities and ego's caused him to create holes in the team that came back and bit him. He also alienated himself from the players in doing so. I said from the start this was my concern with him coming from college, and it certainly played into it. Scheme is one thing, but player skillset is another. NFL is not a plug and play level.

I have a hunch, the problems between Chip and Lurie go back to last year and might have been the reason that Lurie gave Chip complete control. I have a sinking suspicion that Lurie said - fine, this is all yours, so you have no excuses, since you think you know it all. I think Lurie gave him enough rope to hang himself. And we went downhill this year. Players were quitting on him. Lurie pulled the plug. Pure business.

I also think the 'timing' might be slightly to Chip's favor and Lurie giving the team a save-face excuse for losing so that we can get a higher pick in the draft. Even under Reid we would win meaningless games, instead of giving our young studs experience, and get a real draft pick. This also gives Chip and other teams in need of a HC time to talk and line themselves up once the hiring begins. I'm not so sure it's Lurie being that pissed at Chip as much as simply not buying into his system anymore, giving him the chance to do the best he can for himself elsewhere, and Lurie wants to move on before we dismantle any more of our skillset players and the mindset of our players.

I was a sean payton fan and he was my top of my list prior to the hiring of Chip also - so I'd definitely be agreeable to that.

Kelly wasn't the first to use tempo. It's been around for a long time. Sam Wyche and the Bengals were the first, back in the 80's. The Jim Kelly Bills took it to its highest level. They both had quality qbs who could run it effectively. Who could audible at the line.
On NFL network last night they were quoting Brian Baldinger. Apparently the eagles defense has played the equivalent of two extra games compared to everyone else in the league. Little wonder they've been gashed so badly.
What i also found interesting is that few would endorse kelly's system. Not a single one of their ex-nfl talking heads thought it was viable as currently structured. And no one thought he'd be scooped up instantly.
I'd agree that Lurie, watching his team get destroyed in the second half of the season and hearing/seeing what players were saying/doing. Came to the conclusion that the experiment time was at an end.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip lost the faith of the players in what he was doing ... I think the Defense felt like they were the sacrificial lamb in all of this. Football players have shelf lives and like ctc pointed out up above, the D was abused this year as much as DeMarco Murray was with the Pokes last year. I'm pretty sure that none of them wanted to go through that again next season and many voiced their issues to Lurie. I think Chip's system can work, but only with the right pieces ... in the pro's you can have the best "system" in the world, but it only goes as far as the talent you have. Chip never tweaked his system to adjust to his talent level ... I think that if the players saw adjustments out there and not just his way or the highway ... he would have had much more support in the locker room. Yet another problem with Chip was his inability to deal with egos and personalities ... again, this isn't college; Head Coaches need to have good communication with their players and be able to compromise. The God Complex may work in college, but it will get you the boot at the pro level.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have maintained all along that Kelly was making Football decisions as GM rather than Financial decisions. Deass like Murray, Miles Austin and Brad Jones were ones coaches would make, but not GMs. Then you have Roseman sitting next to Lurie all the time and whispering in his ear, and you can see where Lurie would tire of seeing his money wasted and not getting the desired result....Roseman could get these same results without spending an extra $20-30M.

Still, I am sure there is more to the story. It had to be financially tempting to give Kelly another year rather than pay him $12M to not coach your team. You don't have to have everyone like you in a job like that, but you better have several people who do, and it seems like Kelly was never good at making friends. It will be interesting to see what Lurie has to say.

At the end of the day, he was a loser who has fired and nothing will change that. But I do believe he did alot of positive things as a coach and a GM.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was amazed as were others here that Chip's butt was fired before season's end. But it was coming. I hated Chip's moves to dump Foles and McCoy, two premier NFL players, when it happened but like a good fan, decided to buy into the new offense with Bradford. And now the experiment is over. WTF. Let's get Foles back. The team is dead w/o a solid QB. Who the hell will we get?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was amazed as were others here that Chip's butt was fired before season's end. But it was coming. I hated Chip's moves to dump Foles and McCoy, two premier NFL players, when it happened but like a good fan, decided to buy into the new offense with Bradford. And now the experiment is over. WTF. Let's get Foles back. The team is dead w/o a solid QB. Who the hell will we get?

Sorry, but Foles is not a solid QB by any stretch of the imagination. Bradford is much better. Foles was a disaster last season - before he got hurt - with better weapons and better play of his supporting cast than Bradford had at any point this season. Foles was much worse in St. Louis than Bradford has ever been - with worse weapons surrounding him at the time.

Bradford on offense did more this season with lesser players than Foles did last season with better players. You might want to rewatch the games Foles played in that season.

O yeah, and that from someone who considers Bradford unlikely to be the long term answer at QB for this franchize.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was against trading Foles. If he got cut and was a free agent, I would consider bringing him back for the right price.

I agree that he may not be the long-term answer either though.

I think the answer is in the draft.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly wasn't the first to use tempo. It's been around for a long time. Sam Wyche and the Bengals were the first, back in the 80's. The Jim Kelly Bills took it to its highest level. They both had quality qbs who could run it effectively. Who could audible at the line.
On NFL network last night they were quoting Brian Baldinger. Apparently the eagles defense has played the equivalent of two extra games compared to everyone else in the league. Little wonder they've been gashed so badly.
What i also found interesting is that few would endorse kelly's system. Not a single one of their ex-nfl talking heads thought it was viable as currently structured. And no one thought he'd be scooped up instantly.
I'd agree that Lurie, watching his team get destroyed in the second half of the season and hearing/seeing what players were saying/doing. Came to the conclusion that the experiment time was at an end.
I saw some bogus link that Kelley "has 2 offers on the table" as of last night. What THEE fuck ever. Take him!

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was against trading Foles. If he got cut and was a free agent, I would consider bringing him back for the right price.

I agree that he may not be the long-term answer either though.

I think the answer is in the draft.
you know; i might do that. Especially if Bill Lazor is still out there.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but Foles is not a solid QB by any stretch of the imagination. Bradford is much better. Foles was a disaster last season - before he got hurt - with better weapons and better play of his supporting cast than Bradford had at any point this season. Foles was much worse in St. Louis than Bradford has ever been - with worse weapons surrounding him at the time.

Bradford on offense did more this season with lesser players than Foles did last season with better players. You might want to rewatch the games Foles played in that season.

O yeah, and that from someone who considers Bradford unlikely to be the long term answer at QB for this franchize.
when it comes to results, they're the SAME PLAYER!!! Foles is cheaper. and bradford never had anything remotely close to Foles 2013 season.

GritsandGravy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad you guys are talking about it. No coach is going to succeed with out a elite QB. That's why Kelly was so hard after Mariotta. No elite QB, your not long for the NFL.

Green Head

Formally Cape May Eagle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
d
I'm glad you guys are talking about it. No coach is going to succeed with out a elite QB. That's why Kelly was so hard after Mariotta. No elite QB, your not long for the NFL.
In Chips mind, he could win with any QB or any WR. Hence getting rid of Jackson. I was fine with losing McCoy however losing Jackson for nothing totally pissed me off. We waited along time for a WR like Jackson and they give hime away to the Redskins. Guess who won the NFC east!!

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when it comes to results, they're the SAME PLAYER!!! Foles is cheaper. and bradford never had anything remotely close to Foles 2013 season.

Nonsense; if they were the same player, Foles would not have been benched in St. Louis six games into the season.

And everybody talks about the Chip Kelly offense being a gimicky offense, and the NFL catching on; well guess what, in 2013 it was new, the NFL had not yet caught on with the gimicky offense, Foles had the best line in the NFL at his disposal, as well as the best RB, one of the better WR's, and players who actually made plays.

Bradford never ever had anything close to the beneficial circumstances for putting up such numbers as Foles had in 2013.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford sure gets a lot of excuses for all that lack of production. Poor fella must have the worst luck in the world. He's finishing up his 6th year of mediocrity.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Ck might get another year, but a mutiny developed and he had to go. In the last 19 regular season games, the Eagles were 7-12. The wheels fell off the bandwagon. This should help the Eagles attract FA talent now.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford sure gets a lot of excuses for all that lack of production. Poor fella must have the worst luck in the world. He's finishing up his 6th year of mediocrity.

So describing reality is making up excuses... that is how you end up as the Cleveland Browns, or the Millen-led Lions.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So describing reality is making up excuses... that is how you end up as the Cleveland Browns, or the Millen-led Lions.
Sam Bradford is not a player to shed tears about.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. Foles is a young QB, 26, who had an excellent 2013. He had a 64% completion rate, 2,891 yds, 27 TDs, 119.2 rating, and only 2 interceptions. How do you ignore those stats? You can't. You can't look at what he's done in STL and compare. They have their own problems.

Foles got off to a slow start in '14 and absorbed a crushing tackle at WSH early in the season then later got his collar bone injured so he had a down year. Chip was an idiot for trading Foles. We were right there. Just a few more key additions to the O/D lines and we would be winning 12+ games this season. This team is dead for years. Bradford doesn't know when or how to get rid of the ball and he's indecisive at times. I'll take Foles any day.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Foles is a young QB, 26, who had an excellent 2013. He had a 64% completion rate, 2,891 yds, 27 TDs, 119.2 rating, and only 2 interceptions. How do you ignore those stats? You can't. You can't look at what he's done in STL and compare. They have their own problems.

Foles got off to a slow start in '14 and absorbed a crushing tackle at WSH early in the season then later got his collar bone injured so he had a down year. Chip was an idiot for trading Foles. We were right there. Just a few more key additions to the O/D lines and we would be winning 12+ games this season. This team is dead for years. Bradford doesn't know when or how to get rid of the ball and he's indecisive at times. I'll take Foles any day.

Did you watch any games last season? Foles was the epitome of being indecisive, slow to release the ball, missing wide open players, and creating his own pressure by running out of the pocket instead of stepping up. All season he told us he was going to fix his mistakes. He did not at any point (things got worse).

And you want to argue that Bradford did not absorb crushing tackles this season, early on and later? And in contrast to Foles he actually got better during the season. Bradford is only 2 years older than Foles, BTW. Foles stinks in St. Louis - it is not the fault of St. Louis. Bradford is in an even worse position in St. Louis and doesn't put up good numbers: he stinks.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Neither has Nick Foles.