• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFP since 1998...

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 AQs and 3 at large. SEC SEC er sumpthin

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The college basketball season doesn't matter because of the number of games they play, not because of the number of the teams in the tournament.

And even if it were because of the number of teams in the tournament. We are talking about 8 teams out what? 120?

Pretty sure the regular season will still be plenty relevant.

The importance already diminished with just the addition of 2 more teams.

This past year was the first time in my life that I ever saw where Alabama could lose a game towards the end of the year and it wouldn't have mattered.

If you extend that to 8, then conference championships won't matter that much in many cases for either team instead of just 1 like last years SEC Championship. Because that's pretty much who's going to fill those extra spots, or it'll be the 2nd team from the same division(Alabama/LSU etc).

And you aren't adding anything, as those extra teams would face each other in bowl games anyway 2 extra games total, and 1 extra game(16 now total) for the teams that make the championship game.

All for a problem...that doesn't exist.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The college basketball season doesn't matter because of the number of games they play, not because of the number of the teams in the tournament.

And even if it were because of the number of teams in the tournament. We are talking about 8 teams out what? 120?

Pretty sure the regular season will still be plenty relevant.
130 teams (65 in the P5, 65 in the O5). I agree 100%. People think the regular season in college football would be less meaningful with 8 teams in a playoff? Jesus Christ, what are these people smoking? I like the idea of 6 teams. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error...even with 8. Teams that go 8-4 or 7-5 won't be punching any tickets to the big show.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
130 teams (65 in the P5, 65 in the O5). I agree 100%. People think the regular season in college football would be less meaningful with 8 teams in a playoff? Jesus Christ, what are these people smoking? I like the idea of 6 teams. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error...even with 8. Teams that go 8-4 or 7-5 won't be punching any tickets to the big show.

It was already less meaningful last year with just 4 teams. As I already pointed out, for the first time in my entire life a game in Nov/Dec that Alabama played in had absolutely no bearing on the national championship picture.

It didn't matter if Alabama won or lost it's final 2 or 3 games because it could have lost any of them and still been in the playoffs.

That is 100% proof that the college football season lost meaning last year after the introduction of a 4 team playoff. But at least there is justification for a 4 team playoff because it fixes an actual problem. There is no problem you are fixing with 6 or 8, it's just expansion for the sake of expansion.

Nevermind how ignorant AQ is on top of it all.

PS: It doesn't matter if you respond to me or not, I'm still going to throw your stupid shit in the gutter. Turns out - not responding to people you disagree with doesn't stop them from posting.

How about you start with this: Justification for expansion in the first place.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The importance already diminished with just the addition of 2 more teams.

This past year was the first time in my life that I ever saw where Alabama could lose a game towards the end of the year and it wouldn't have mattered.

If you extend that to 8, then conference championships won't matter that much in many cases for either team instead of just 1 like last years SEC Championship. Because that's pretty much who's going to fill those extra spots, or it'll be the 2nd team from the same division(Alabama/LSU etc).

And you aren't adding anything, as those extra teams would face each other in bowl games anyway 2 extra games total, and 1 extra game(16 now total) for the teams that make the championship game.

All for a problem...that doesn't exist.

I disagree. I think those that are worried about the regular season losing importance are worrying about a problem that doesn't and likely won't ever exist.

I like the idea of a team being able to lose a game and still make the playoff. If anything, it adds to the regular season because it means that teams can stay in the hunt longer. A team staying in the hunt longer doesn't decrease fan interest, it increases it. That's why sports, both professional and college, always look to increase rather than decrease the number of playoff teams. More interest means more money.

In prior years, if a team lost, their season (as far as the NC) was over. The rest of the season just became about hoping they could salvage a decent bowl game. Now, they could have a loss and still be able to make it.

Imo, it allows for things like young teams that take a couple of games to gel, a tough game on the road, losing a top player for a game or 2, etc.

Conference championships still matter because there is no guarantee that a team that didn't win that conference gets in. Conference champs would get an autobid under an 8 team playoff. That also eliminates a P5 conference champion being left out.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was already less meaningful last year with just 4 teams. As I already pointed out, for the first time in my entire life a game in Nov/Dec that Alabama played in had absolutely no bearing on the national championship picture.

It didn't matter if Alabama won or lost it's final 2 or 3 games because it could have lost any of them and still been in the playoffs.

That is 100% proof that the college football season lost meaning last year after the introduction of a 4 team playoff. But at least there is justification for a 4 team playoff because it fixes an actual problem. There is no problem you are fixing with 6 or 8, it's just expansion for the sake of expansion.

Nevermind how ignorant AQ is on top of it all.

PS: It doesn't matter if you respond to me or not, I'm still going to throw your stupid shit in the gutter. Turns out - not responding to people you disagree with doesn't stop them from posting.

How about you start with this: Justification for expansion in the first place.

You're saying Alabama could have lost to Auburn , Florida and Chattanooga and still made it in the playoffs? You're smoking crack bud.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I think those that are worried about the regular season losing importance are worrying about a problem that doesn't and likely won't ever exist.

I just gave proof it does with just 4 teams.

I like the idea of a team being able to lose a game and still make the playoff. If anything, it adds to the regular season because it means that teams can stay in the hunt longer. A team staying in the hunt longer doesn't decrease fan interest, it increases it. That's why sports, both professional and college, always look to increase rather than decrease the number of playoff teams. More interest means more money.

Then why has the addition of a playoff had the exact opposite effect? Interest in the postseason and all the bowl games has declined sharply since the addition of a playoff.

In prior years, if a team lost, their season (as far as the NC) was over. The rest of the season just became about hoping they could salvage a decent bowl game. Now, they could have a loss and still be able to make it.

Imo, it allows for things like young teams that take a couple of games to gel, a tough game on the road, losing a top player for a game or 2, etc.

Conference championships still matter because there is no guarantee that a team that didn't win that conference gets in. Conference champs would get an autobid under an 8 team playoff. That also eliminates a P5 conference champion being left out.

Again, Alabama last year proves all this wrong.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're saying Alabama could have lost to Auburn , Florida and Chattanooga and still made it in the playoffs? You're smoking crack bud.

No, it won all those games, thus the next game was the next game that didn't matter. Each week it was a game that didn't matter if Alabama won or lost.

If Alabama had lost 1 of them, then the other games would have matter again, but they didn't. So it was like 3 straight weeks of games that didn't matter if Alabama won or lost.

Btw: I didn't count Chattanooga, the 3rd team was actually Miss St. So 4 games really.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it won all those games, thus the next game was the next game that didn't matter.

Well if you're the defending champ and you're undefeated you can probably lose your last regular season or your championship game and still be in the playoff. Depends who you lose to. But no one else was undeafeated so thats why you'd still be in it any year with that scenario.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, if playoffs games increase interest and make the regular season matter more, then why did the NFL have to push division games to the end of the season just to make the NFL teams take the final weeks seriously?

Because it was exactly the same thing that happened with Alabama last year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you're the defending champ and you're undefeated you can probably lose your last regular season or your championship game and still be in the playoff. Depends who you lose to. But no one else was undeafeated so thats why you'd still be in it any year with that scenario.

Can you name another time in college football history where a teams games at the end of the year didn't have an impact on the national championship win or lose?

Because I can't.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And btw, if playoffs games increase interest and make the regular season matter more, then why did the NFL have to push division games to the end of the season just to make the NFL teams take the final weeks seriously?

Obviously under the old system with only two teams picked to play in the championship you have less room for error. But with a four team playoff more teams had a shot to get in so the interest level was pretty high among more fan bases.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just gave proof it does with just 4 teams.

No, you gave your opinion. Plenty disagree with you.

Then why has the addition of a playoff had the exact opposite effect? Interest in the postseason and all the bowl games has declined sharply since the addition of a playoff.

The difference in interest in the postseason was about the excessive number of bowl games and the fact that you had 6-6 teams and even teams with losing records being bowl eligible. I don't recall anyone complaining about the number of playoff teams. I do, however, remember complaints about the number of bowl games.

Again, Alabama last year proves all this wrong.

This is going to come as a shock to you, so I hope you're sitting down. Everything in college football isn't about Alabama. :shocked:

Whether or not Alabama's last couple of games could or could not effect the cfp has nothing to do with the interest of fans of teams who are trying to secure a spot in the cfp.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you name another time in college football history where a teams games at the end of the year didn't have an impact on the national championship win or lose?

Because I can't.

Well a playoff gives more teams a shot but if a team like Alabama is undefeated at the end of the year well you have that room for error. But thats because Bamas so dominant right now. So one team had that luxury. But like six or eight teams had some what of a shot going into the last games depending on who lost.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a playoff gives more teams a shot but if a team like Alabama is undefeated at the end of the year well you have that room for error. But thats because Bamas so dominant right now. So one team had that luxury. But like six or eight teams had some what of a shot going into the last games depending on who lost.

Washington is a good example. Once they lost to USC, they not only had to win all of the rest of their games, but they had to win the PACCCG in fairly dominant fashion and even then there was question about whether or not they'd get in.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you gave your opinion. Plenty disagree with you.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Alabama could have lost games at the end of the year last year and still easily have made it into the playoffs. It was even talked about at the time.

The difference in interest in the postseason was about the excessive number of bowl games and the fact that you had 6-6 teams and even teams with losing records being bowl eligible. I don't recall anyone complaining about the number of playoff teams. I do, however, remember complaints about the number of bowl games.

Actually, the lower bowls haven't lost interest, so the complaints about 6-6 teams and such is actually bunk. All but 1 bowl game last year had over 1 million viewers.

The biggest decline over the past few years has come in the playoff games themselves and the major bowl games. Some of that is attributed to the New Years Eve stuff.

4 takeaways from 2016-2017 bowl game ratings

This is going to come as a shock to you, so I hope you're sitting down. Everything in college football isn't about Alabama. :shocked:

Whether or not Alabama's last couple of games could or could not effect the cfp has nothing to do with the interest of fans of teams who are trying to secure a spot in the cfp.

This may come as a shock to you, but Alabama would benefit more from an 8 team system and would have made the playoffs almost every year in the past 10 years.

As it turns out, any team, not just Alabama, is capable of having the exact same things happen to them in any given year. Alabama was just the first it happened to because the playoffs are new. It'll happen more, and it will happen multiple times every year if you move to 8.

This isn't about Alabama, it's about the consequences of the changes you propose. You focus only on what you think is a positive and then ignore things like this. All for what? All for games you would see anyone in other bowl games(and yet you don't think the playoffs take away from them).

Even if it was a popular idea, the Pac12 would block it just like they have everything else over the years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What about Clemson in 2015? I had forgotten about them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about them?

Could they have lost their conference championship game and still have made the playoffs in 2015?

They were also undefeated until the championship game like Alabama last year. It's somewhat debatable because maybe one of the other 1 loss teams gets in before them.

But here's what isn't debatable: If you move to 6 or 8 teams, it would have been another game that didn't matter for sure.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could they have lost their conference championship game and still have made the playoffs in 2015?

They were also undefeated until the championship game like Alabama last year. It's somewhat debatable because maybe one of the other 1 loss teams gets in before them.

But here's what isn't debatable: If you move to 6 or 8 teams, it would have been another game that didn't matter for sure.

I wouldnt say that. They were undefeated but Alabama and four other teams were there with only one loss. No way they were guaranteed if they were one of five with one loss. So their last game before the playoffs was critical to keep them in the the hunt. They could have lost and still been picked but they also could have gotten passed.