• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL CFP SEMI-FINAL: tOSU vs Clemson

Which team advances to the CFP Final?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson big, physical, fast WR's vs the secondary. I know Ohio St's secondary has been one of the best this year but they haven't faced a WR corp this good.
I was wondering if you guys have faced a QB like Sunshine this year? I didn't see one on the schedule. Who has the best passing game of this year's Buckeye opponents?

I also don't think Clem has faced a QB like Fields either. Can't find one on their schedule.

That's what makes this game hard to pick IMHO.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was wondering if you guys have faced a QB like Sunshine this year? I didn't see one on the schedule. Who has the best passing game of this year's Buckeye opponents?

I also don't think Clem has faced a QB like Fields either. Can't find one on their schedule.

Yeah, neither have.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn’t calling out OSU’s schedule or comparing it to ours. Our schedule was soft, extremely soft, but when I hear these statements about resting players or players not getting hurt because the schedule was easy, I call bullshit.

OSU was able to rest players all season long too. That’s all I’m sayin.

:suds:

Seriously

Don’t even try to compare schedules
You won’t like the results.....
My god. Hate being embarrassed for other people....
He wasn't comparing. He even stated Clemson's schedule was "soft".

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shea Patterson is the greatest QB in the country.

-PIBuckeye

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Statistically, that would be Florida Atlantic and Indiana. Realistically, Ohio State's best opponent passing the ball was Michigan at #49 in the country. Shea Patterson has completed 57% of his passes for 2,800 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions (he's 0 rushing threat, with 40 yards on the season). Sean Clifford (Penn State) has completed 59% of his passes for 2,500 yards, 22 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions (he has 300 rushing yards). Neither are close to Lawrence, who, just since game 6, has completed 75% of his passes for more than 2,000 yards, 23 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions (and more rushing yards and TDs). As for as Ohio State's opponents' passing attacks writ large. Six of Ohio State's opponents have been ranked outside of the top 100 in passing the ball. They average #88 in passing the ball.

For Clemson, the best passing attacks they've faced is Wake Forest (#18 in the nation), UNC (#24), FSU (#33) and UVA (#35). The average rank of their opponent's passing attacks is #57. I don't think Clemson has played a QB as good as Fields, but their opponents' QBs are better than Ohio State's opponents' as a whole. The best two are Sam Howell and Bryce Perkins. Sam Howell didn't have any running game to help him so opponents had to key to him. Despite lacking talent around him, he completed 60% of his passes for 3,400 yards, 35 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions. Bryce Perkins is as close to Fields as any QB in America. Again lacking any offensive weapons and playing behind a terrible offensive line, he completed 65% of his passes for 3300 yards and 18 touchdowns. So he's slightly less accurate (65 vs. 68), has more yards, but has much fewer touchdowns, which likely is a result of him playing in a bad offense. He's a significantly better scrambler, having a higher average and running for 750 yards and 11 touchdowns. I'd be curious to see what Perkins would do behind a great offensive line with a great running back and good wide receivers.

For the sake of completeness:
  • Clemson's opponent's rushing offenses average #56 in the nation. Ohio State's average #67.
  • Clemson's opponent's rushing defenses average #74 in the nation. Ohio State's average #50.
  • Clemson's opponent's passing defenses average #77 in the nation. Ohio State's average #68.
We've got a bit of a chicken vs. the egg situation here. Are ACC defenses so bad because the offenses are that good, or are the offenses only that good because the defenses are so bad? Are B1G defenses so good because the offenses are terrible, or are the defenses just that good? It's probably a bit of both in both cases. However, looking at the stats (keep in mind that with the way averages work, a 10 position difference in average is actually pretty dramatic), Clemson's opponents have significantly better offenses while Ohio State's opponents have significantly better defenses.

What's interesting is how good the Big 10 is against the run. I expected the Big 10's pass defense stats to be off the charts, because almost every Big 10 team still plays smash mouth football and do not pass the ball very much. But apparently despite the Big 10 backs getting so many carries (at least in common perception), they seem to stop the run best.

Last edited:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28th is going to be better than Christmas Day

Can’t come quick enough!

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to predict the winner in this one. I’ll just be happy if we don’t get worked liked two-three years ago. Going to be a crazy amount of NFL talent on both teams.

I really hope we can get Fields to 100% health

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to predict the winner in this one. I’ll just be happy if we don’t get worked liked two-three years ago. Going to be a crazy amount of NFL talent on both teams.

I really hope we can get Fields to 100% health

he probably won't be 100%, but to me, anything close to/above 80-85% would be great. Buckeyes so desperately need to get this decades-old Clemson monkey off their backs, so sick of losing to them whenever the Buckeyes play them.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When it comes to this competition and this talent, not many teams have faced the talent like on both of these teams but both teams really haven't faced a QB close to the level they will see in this game. Ohio St faced some really nice game managers, Clemson has faced...well tbh I really don't know. Both will have major challenges but it looks like Fields' knee is only 85% and not 100%, so I don't feel good about that. He won't have his full burst we saw when he was healthy.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he probably won't be 100%, but to me, anything close to/above 80-85% would be great. Buckeyes so desperately need to get this decades-old Clemson monkey off their backs, so sick of losing to them whenever the Buckeyes play them.

Yeah, that sucks...only 80-85% apparently unless he is just toying with Clemson to catch them off guard hahaha

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted for Clemson.

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell no. Don't stop. Drunk posts are what makes the hoop go round!

I'll give you that, they are.

reminds me of drunk dialing girlfriends back in the 90s........ nothing good ever came from that..... wait, I take that back - sometimes some great things came from that............ :heh:

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted for Clemson.
giphy.gif

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to this competition and this talent, not many teams have faced the talent like on both of these teams but both teams really haven't faced a QB close to the level they will see in this game. Ohio St faced some really nice game managers, Clemson has faced...well tbh I really don't know. Both will have major challenges but it looks like Fields' knee is only 85% and not 100%, so I don't feel good about that. He won't have his full burst we saw when he was healthy.

I hate that Fields' knee is still bothering him. He's a tough kid and has taken some nasty shots this year. I'd say if you want to see the best QB Clemson's played (at least most comparable to Fields, since Howell is unbelievable as a true freshman but is a pocket passer), you should watch the condensed ACC championship. I think Fields is a better passer, but I think if you switched Perkins and Fields on their teams, you wouldn't really see much of a difference. Ohio State has a top 5 offensive line, a good receiving corps, and one of the top running back threats to keep teams honest. UVA has none of that (top receiver is a 3 Star and their running back was a 2 star who has 450 yards on 110 carries). Despite that, Perkins was about as accurate as Fields, had more yards, but less touchdowns and more interceptions (he makes more bad throws because he has to try to make things happen). But he's the biggest running threat in football. His S&C coach clocked him at 22.2 miles per hour over the summer. That's faster than any current NFL player has been clocked and he's been expected to run around 4.4 at the combine. He's also the same size as Fields in height and weight. He did some damage to Clemson, though they played contain on him, which they may do with Fields depending on how healthy Venables thinks he is.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that Fields' knee is still bothering him. He's a tough kid and has taken some nasty shots this year. I'd say if you want to see the best QB Clemson's played (at least most comparable to Fields, since Howell is unbelievable as a true freshman but is a pocket passer), you should watch the condensed ACC championship. I think Fields is a better passer, but I think if you switched Perkins and Fields on their teams, you wouldn't really see much of a difference. Ohio State has a top 5 offensive line, a good receiving corps, and one of the top running back threats to keep teams honest. UVA has none of that (top receiver is a 3 Star and their running back was a 2 star who has 450 yards on 110 carries). Despite that, Perkins was about as accurate as Fields, had more yards, but less touchdowns and more interceptions (he makes more bad throws because he has to try to make things happen). But he's the biggest running threat in football. His S&C coach clocked him at 22.2 miles per hour over the summer. That's faster than any current NFL player has been clocked and he's been expected to run around 4.4 at the combine. He's also the same size as Fields in height and weight. He did some damage to Clemson, though they played contain on him, which they may do with Fields depending on how healthy Venables thinks he is.

Still impossible to compare tough, but it seems like that would be the most likely comparison for Clemson to use for this matchup. Perkins 64% and 18 and 11 in the ACC. Fields 67% and 40 and 1 against the Big 10. But I still think even though Ohio St has been great in the secondary this year this is going to be their toughest challenge easily, if Clemson can limit the Ohio St DL it will give Lawrence time and that could be big trouble. I don't see Ohio St really limiting these WR's unless Lawrence just either has a bad game or the DL gets crazy pressure. A huge key.

But as far as Fields, I don't care about him running as much to get yards as to just keeping the defense off balanced. Fields needs to hit his open throws but it comes down to the OL and Dobbins in this one for this Ohio St offense imo