• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CFB has basically become the SEC,Clemson, and Ohio State

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could happen but I don't see it happening. Bama is a pressure cooker like no other. Dabo has created his own little kingdom at Clemson and its working great for him. As long as FSU stays down I don't see anyone in the ACC threatening Clemson's cakewalk to the conference championship.
Only way Clemson would have to work harder for it would probably be if the realigned the ACC divisions into a North and South and FSU and Miami started smashing everyone like they did in their glory days.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabo Swinney

Born: ALABAMA Nov 1969.
Playing Career: ALABAMA 1990 - 1992.
Coaching Career: ALABAMA 1993 - 2000.

Naw, he'd never leave Clemson for Alabama.

That's all fine and well but ya know what all that means to the Alabama fan base?

Not a freggin thing. You win or you are trash.

Plus you never want to be the man that follows THE man when it comes to coaching gig's. He may go to Bama someday, but he wont follow Saban.

FSU rules

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody else can keep up. Is this bad for the long term health of the game? Ohio State is the only team outside of the south that can compete right now.
Not really. People will still watch. Besides that things can and will change. Longterm USC or Oregon will be a powerhouse out West, FSU will be back because they have a competent coach and are going all in and at some point Tejas will break through again.

Clemson went from garbage (2010) to NC caliber within 5 years. This will happen again.

Most titles will be won by southern teams but you can't really predict much else. CFB is much more random in terms of which teams rise and fall than some people think.

I fully expect 1 team out West and 1 Texas team to rise and be an absolute powerhouse in 5 years.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way Clemson would have to work harder for it would probably be if the realigned the ACC divisions into a North and South and FSU and Miami started smashing everyone like they did in their glory days.
FSU is the one I could see regaining power with the right HC. Even then Dabo has the Clemson program rolling atm to where it's going to take a superpower to knock him off his throne. The guy is flat out killing it in recruiting and it doesn't look like Venerables is interested in leaving his DC job there anytime soon.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. People will still watch. Besides that things can and will change. Longterm USC or Oregon will be a powerhouse out West, FSU will be back because they have a competent coach and are going all in and at some point Tejas will break through again.

Clemson went from garbage (2010) to NC caliber within 5 years. This will happen again.

Most titles will be won by southern teams but you can't really predict much else. CFB is much more random in terms of which teams rise and fall than some people think.

I fully expect 1 team out West and 1 Texas team to rise and be an absolute powerhouse in 5 years.
giphy.gif

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's quite a statement. We shall see.

Dabo's got 20 years invested in the University of Alabama to include being a player there. Alabama is a blue-blood with piles of cash to throw around. He was born and raised in Alabama.
Dabo has actually been at Clemson now longer than he was at Alabama. And he raised his family in Clemson.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best make some room at the top. I ain't saying it's going to happen, but Wisconsin is starting to recruit better. If they can continue to improve, they can join the big boys.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as 'Where would Dabo rather retire his football career and be inducted into the HoF?"

Money is not an issue in cases such as these. Neither for Dabo or Alabama.

Were I to have to declare, I would say that Dabo goes to Bama after Saban retires. The drawbacks to the move are the same as if he stays but the positives includes winning natties at multiple schools thus entering another exclusive club, helping his alma matter, living the passion that comes with being a player/fan for most of his life, and doing all of this without a rebuild … with slightly higher quality of players than he has at Clemson(Not a diss, just comparing recruiting ratings … would love for Auburn to have his Clemson classes) and having streets in TTown named for him, along with children. A rabid fan base is a double edged sword, but one side does cut in your favor. I will admit that in the final analysis, I do not know if Dabo values the things that I see as an advantage.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dabo has actually been at Clemson now longer than he was at Alabama. And he raised his family in Clemson.

Cool story, bro.

Was he born and raised in South Carolina too? Did he play football for Clemson too?

If/When mama comes callin' he probably gone.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he could always go to Oregon and have a clear path at the CFP too with that conference....
Seems easier to go undefeated in the others than in the Pac

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool story, bro.

Was he born and raised in South Carolina too? Did he play football for Clemson too?

but, but, but If he keeps winning natties in an easier ACC and problems persist at Bamy.... :noidea:

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of the bag men and there might be more parity.
You mean Oregon might have a chance if they don't spend as much money on a different uniform every week??? How about USC is Snoop spends a little less on weed and a little more on boostering? :ranger:

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about adjusting it to: "CFB has basically become the Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State".

We'll add LSU to that mix if they win it.

Why do you consider the whole conference when only one team from the conference has a CFP championship? Same as the B1G and the ACC.
Because LSU, Georgia and Auburn deserve the consideration.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is 20/20, but basically Nebraska, FSU, and Miami owned the 1990's.

"That's it. Nobody else can keep up."

Then those coaches all retired.
Florida, TN and Alabama all won national championships in the 90s plus Auburn had an undefeated season in 93.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While college football is cyclical, I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going away any time soon in the CFP playoff. They are the conferences with the most power, the most money, and the largest footprints regarding population and TV sets.

The SEC is in the absolute heart of stud football country. You want DL, LBs, CBs and speed, that is where they are, and with the defensive players they can assemble and the speed they can throw at teams on offense, they are gonna be around for any type of 20 year forseeable future. They would need a run of some seriously bad coaches like they have had in ages past to be also rans. Not sure I see that either with the amount of money they are willing to pay coaches and separate themselves from others.

Clemson has a once in a generation coach that truly 'gets is' and connects with players like none other. Does he move on to Alabama if the opportunity comes about is the question? If I were him, I'd stay at Clemson and try to build a dynasty. All the pieces are there for him to do it, and he is obviously well on his way.

Big 12 and Pac 12 simply have to get better. I think the Big 12 will. It is just a matter of time before they get better defensively and get more physical. Too many good HS kids in Texas, and OU and Texas have brands that recruit nationally.

I think the Pac 12 is in trouble though. Football on the Left coast is losing more and more popularity as time goes by. California is certainly a hot bed for recruits, but too many teams from other conferences nitpick top end players out of there, and the rest simply aren't enough to sustain the 12 teams, much less build a power unless it is USC or UW or Oregon. One of those teams needs to absolutely dominate recruiting for a few years and build a monster. Oregon had a solid run, and they did dominate the Pac12 for a while and had some decent shots at National Titles. It certainly can be done. USC might have bigger fish to fry with their college entrance scandal. Not sold that Mario Cristobal is the answer at Oregon, but he has a lot of SE ties, and has certainly made a huge impact on their defense. Has Petersen plateaued at UDub? They have to recruit better under his watch.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool story, bro.

He has never been fired from Clemson. Without Clemson he’s a commercial real estate agent in Birmingham instead of a multi-millionaire football coach.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While college football is cyclical, I don't see the SEC or Big 10 going away any time soon in the CFP playoff. They are the conferences with the most power, the most money, and the largest footprints regarding population and TV sets.

The SEC is in the absolute heart of stud football country. You want DL, LBs, CBs and speed, that is where they are, and with the defensive players they can assemble and the speed they can throw at teams on offense, they are gonna be around for any type of 20 year forseeable future. They would need a run of some seriously bad coaches like they have had in ages past to be also rans. Not sure I see that either with the amount of money they are willing to pay coaches and separate themselves from others.

Clemson has a once in a generation coach that truly 'gets is' and connects with players like none other. Does he move on to Alabama if the opportunity comes about is the question? If I were him, I'd stay at Clemson and try to build a dynasty. All the pieces are there for him to do it, and he is obviously well on his way.

Big 12 and Pac 12 simply have to get better. I think the Big 12 will. It is just a matter of time before they get better defensively and get more physical. Too many good HS kids in Texas, and OU and Texas have brands that recruit nationally.

I think the Pac 12 is in trouble though. Football on the Left coast is losing more and more popularity as time goes by. California is certainly a hot bed for recruits, but too many teams from other conferences nitpick top end players out of there, and the rest simply aren't enough to sustain the 12 teams, much less build a power unless it is USC or UW or Oregon. One of those teams needs to absolutely dominate recruiting for a few years and build a monster. Oregon had a solid run, and they did dominate the Pac12 for a while and had some decent shots at National Titles. It certainly can be done. USC might have bigger fish to fry with their college entrance scandal. Not sold that Mario Cristobal is the answer at Oregon, but he has a lot of SE ties, and has certainly made a huge impact on their defense. Has Petersen plateaued at UDub? They have to recruit better under his watch.
2020 Pac-12 Football Team Rankings

2021 Top Football Recruits in Washington

Recruiting Roundup: Looking Forward To The 2021 Class