• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics Off-Season - the Quest for AD

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Correct.

That's why I'm all in here... take a shot now, make it work.

I agree with you.

The problem with taking a shot now is that every realistic pathway revolves around Kyrie staying in Boston. And I don't think he is.

I also don't believe the proposed trade package in the OP will get it done unless the Knicks are out of the running.

In other words, to pull an AD trade with any chance of making it more than a 1 year rental, you need both these things to happen:

1) Kyrie resigns
2) Knicks strike out in FA

Possible, but pretty unlikely IMO. I go about 10-15% chance.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with taking a shot now is that every realistic pathway revolves around Kyrie staying in Boston. And I don't think he is.
The lure of playing with AD would have to do the work on this front... we're not just talking about coming back, we're talking about coming back to play with a top-5 NBA superstar who apparently he is friends with.

How do you know this idea would not appeal to him?
tlance said:
I also don't believe the proposed trade package in the OP will get it done unless the Knicks are out of the running.
I still think the single best trading chip that any team has to offer is Tatum. And the Memphis pick is a nice chip too.

Talking up the spare parts of the woeful Knicks... ?... maybe that plus Barrett is more appealing, depending on what the Pel's ultimately value... but it's not clear-cut at all.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie posted this on his Instagram account yesterday. I think it clarifies everything:

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
My light Brothers and Sisters! The age of No More Secrets is upon us. World Peace will be achieved in our life time and we better Effin believe it! Let them have the fabricated bullsh!t. That genuine love and energy spreads all over the world. Eye see all.
I AM
"

:noidea:

Would have been much funnier if he had said, "... all around the world."

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie posted this on his Instagram account yesterday. I think it clarifies everything:

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
My light Brothers and Sisters! The age of No More Secrets is upon us. World Peace will be achieved in our life time and we better Effin believe it! Let them have the fabricated bullsh!t. That genuine love and energy spreads all over the world. Eye see all.
I AM
"

It certainly does.

giphy.gif

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point blank question:

Do either you or @trojanfan12 think the Celtics have much of a chance at a title with Jayson Tatum as their best player?

Let's say... within the next 3 years.

?

Tough question bc we only have a glimpse of him being their #1 and he played pretty damn good. If he progresses like he does in NBA2K, yes I think he can compete for a title...but it also depends on the competition in the East and who he has around him for the Celtics. If Kawhi comes back, Toronto is a better team as of right now and so is MIL. Down the road if Tatum progresses, sure, Jaylen Brown is a key too. He needs to blossom too for them to compete.

3 years....I don't know about that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you.

In other words, to pull an AD trade with any chance of making it more than a 1 year rental, you need both these things to happen:

1) Kyrie resigns
2) Knicks strike out in FA

Possible, but pretty unlikely IMO. I go about 10-15% chance.

Yeah Kyrie is the key. You can get AD and give up Tatum, without Kyrie you just have AD, Hayward and Horford. That isn't getting you a title, a very nice team but you want to pair Kyrie and AD OR Tatum and AD and it looks like both of those aren't happening.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Kyrie is the key. You can get AD and give up Tatum, without Kyrie you just have AD, Hayward and Horford. That isn't getting you a title, a very nice team but you want to pair Kyrie and AD OR Tatum and AD and it looks like both of those aren't happening.

Yeah. You might be better off going for a Blake Griffin it lets you keep Tatum.

Trade for Mike Conley.

Call it a day.

But honestly, i have no idea.

Losing Kyrie for nothing would be killer. At least try and S&T the dude. But i'm not sure what the benefit even is in today's nba.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. You might be better off going for a Blake Griffin it lets you keep Tatum.

Trade for Mike Conley.

Call it a day.

But honestly, i have no idea.

Losing Kyrie for nothing would be killer. At least try and S&T the dude. But i'm not sure what the benefit even is in today's nba.

Hayward and filler for CP3. Keep their picks and build around their young core.

If Kyrie is gone, the Nets/Knicks/Lakers all have enough cap space to absorb his new contract. Why would he want to sacrifice new teammates back to the Celtics? I don't see a S&T unless prior moves by his new team of choice necessitate such a move (like an AD trade that absorbs too much cap space).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
I AM
"

He's going to CSKA Moscow. Duh.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lure of playing with AD would have to do the work on this front... we're not just talking about coming back, we're talking about coming back to play with a top-5 NBA superstar who apparently he is friends with.

How do you know this idea would not appeal to him?

I still think the single best trading chip that any team has to offer is Tatum. And the Memphis pick is a nice chip too.

Talking up the spare parts of the woeful Knicks... ?... maybe that plus Barrett is more appealing, depending on what the Pel's ultimately value... but it's not clear-cut at all.
Now this I can agree with as a possibility since you include the "maybe" about Barrett. Only fact is we have no clue how NO values Barrett. If the hype is real, they probably prefer him to Tatum (also 2 years further from FA). If not........?

would add who knows what offer might be out there, but there are many players they probably value more than Tatum. Just don't know who would be made available. Seems like most deals that go down were not seen coming (who saw the Kyrie to Cs trade going down?).

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be 100% honest for once.

Kyrie does not want to stay in Boston. He's worn out his welcome and wants to be the hero elsewhere.

Celtic ownership has not been glowingly positive about bringing him back, especially at a long term Max Contract. When asked, Ownership said, "Sure, we'd like to have Kyrie back." They didn't say, "We'll make every effort to resign Kyrie."

It hasn't been a totally ugly relationship, but it doesn't appear that marriage is in their futures.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this I can agree with as a possibility since you include the "maybe" about Barrett. Only fact is we have no clue how NO values Barrett. If the hype is real, they probably prefer him to Tatum (also 2 years further from FA). If not........?

would add who knows what offer might be out there, but there are many players they probably value more than Tatum. Just don't know who would be made available. Seems like most deals that go down were not seen coming (who saw the Kyrie to Cs trade going down?).

Most of the recent big trades have been shockers.

PG13 to okc
Kyrie to Boston
Blake to Detroit
Butler and Harris to Philly

All were kinda stunners.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the recent big trades have been shockers.

PG13 to okc
Kyrie to Boston
Blake to Detroit
Butler and Harris to Philly

All were kinda stunners.
Yep. A few more.....

CP3 to Houston
Kawhi to Toronto
Cousins to NO

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. A few more.....

CP3 to Houston
Kawhi to Toronto
Cousins to NO

...and what happened thereafter? Appears Kyrie wants out, Cousins was let go after his injury, Houston is trying to move CP3, and Kawhi/Butler/Harris all could be moving as FAs in a few weeks. So far, only PG13 decided to stay (after which Westbrook seemingly starting leaking oil; wonder how George feels about that decision these days) and then you have Blake, who was barely healthy enough to participate in the playoffs. Not huge votes of confidence in "brave trades" necessarily, lol.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and what happened thereafter? Appears Kyrie wants out, Cousins was let go after his injury, Houston is trying to move CP3, and Kawhi/Butler/Harris all could be moving as FAs in a few weeks. So far, only PG13 decided to stay (after which Westbrook seemingly starting leaking oil; wonder how George feels about that decision these days) and then you have Blake, who was barely healthy enough to participate in the playoffs. Not huge votes of confidence in "brave trades" necessarily, lol.
Not really the point we were making but still good points by you.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Kyrie is gone, so the AD trade is too risky. They should focus on either Rozier (if they like him that much) or getting another PG, and potentially moving Hayward. They have enough picks and young players to build around that youth movement pretty quickly, plus they have Horford for at least one more year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Shams is reporting that the Pels are open for business on AD.