• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics Off-Season - the Quest for AD

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming no trades here's who I'm liking for the Celtics to draft:

#14 Overall
Romeo Langford, SG, Indiana
Brandon Clarke, PF, Gonzaga
Bol Bol, C, Oregon

Langford is one of the longest guards. His shooting was off this year, but he also played with a thumb injury on his shooting hand. I think there's untapped upside here.

Clarke is a pogo stick in almost every sense of the word. But he's not long at all. An analytic darling anyway for being absurdly efficient on shots at the time, rim protection and rebounding. He doesn't even have a great NBA comp.

Bol is another analytics big. Blocks shots and shoots 3. His injury is a concern. But the upside is worth it.

The truth is I hate this spot in the draft and would love to trade the pick.

#20 & 22 Overall
Talen Horton-Tucker, SG Iowa St
Chuma Okeke, PF Auburn
Carsen Edwards, PG Purdue
Luka Samanic, PF International
Jontay Porter, C, Missouri
Nic Claxton, C, Georgia
Bruno Fernando, C, Maryland

I really would like the first 2 guys. Analytics darlings. Long, athletic. Lots of talent and potential there. Okeke in partular. I think he fits the PJ Tucker mold.

THT is 6-4 in shoes but a 7-1 wingspan. Youngest guy in the draft. Shot needs a little work. Neither ofthese guys are stars, but both can be impact role players.

Edwards would be a good guy to get at a position of need.

Samanic is rising up the draft boards. He's got some talent for sure. Plus the celts might wanna stash a rookie rather than have 3 rookies on the roster.

The 3 Centers are all interesting guys with some solid projection metrics for the next level, although none score as high as Big Swat Bob did coming out. Less of a need.

#51 overall
DaQuan Jeffries, SG Tulsa
Jeremiah Martin, G, Memphis
Cody Martin, G, nevada

All have intriguing analytics or skills that historically translated to NBA success. Frankly a trade down from 14 to scoop up an extra future 1st and another 2nd wound't hurt. And then buy a pick. I want all these guys. Especially with Q favorite Charles Bassey heading back to school.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good analysis, @The Q... thanks for sharing.

The C's should be at or near win now mode, though... tough to think in terms of long term... this is a franchise at the decision point, and most likely a lot of sh!t is gonna go down in the short term before we get to any long term.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good analysis, @The Q... thanks for sharing.

The C's should be at or near win now mode, though... tough to think in terms of long term... this is a franchise at the decision point, and most likely a lot of sh!t is gonna go down in the short term before we get to any long term.

I have no idea what they’re gonna do if kyrie is gone. Cause short term thinking makes no sense at that point. If kyrie leaves they either need to trade GH and a first for Conley, and then get brow.

Which still isn’t enough. They need one more analytics friendly piece.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Kyrie walks... and Boston doesn't get AD.

Anyone have the Celtics seriously competing for a title in that set of events?

Bueller?

They'll be a nice team... but not able to beat the Giannis', Kawhi's, and Golden States of the world in a 7 game series.

And then what? That's it?

Imo, it depends on what last years playoff run was all about.

Without Kyrie and Hayward, they pushed the Cavs to game 7 of the ECF. This year, with Kyrie and Hayward, they got embarrassed in the 2nd round.

If that run to the ECF was because that's how they play without Kyrie, then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to compete for a title. A healthy Hayward should fit well because he's not ball dominant like Kyrie. Plus, without Kyrie, Tatum should be able to get back on track.

But, if that run was just the product of a team that got hot at the right time and they were never really that good...then they could be in a bit of trouble when it comes to trying to compete for a title.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Without Kyrie and Hayward, they pushed the Cavs to game 7 of the ECF. This year, with Kyrie and Hayward, they got embarrassed in the 2nd round.

If that run to the ECF was because that's how they play without Kyrie, then I don't see why they wouldn't be able to compete for a title. A healthy Hayward should fit well because he's not ball dominant like Kyrie. Plus, without Kyrie, Tatum should be able to get back on track.

But, if that run was just the product of a team that got hot at the right time and they were never really that good...then they could be in a bit of trouble when it comes to trying to compete for a title.

a big part of answering that question is who is the real Terry Rozier.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Kyrie walks... and Boston doesn't get AD.

Anyone have the Celtics seriously competing for a title in that set of events?

Bueller?

They'll be a nice team... but not able to beat the Giannis', Kawhi's, and Golden States of the world in a 7 game series.

And then what? That's it?

Build around Tatum, I think it is their only option. I would at least pencil them into a 4-7 seed but what if Hayward comes back to form? I think they can't compete for a title but they can do a damn good job of competing and giving some of those top teams trouble if their young players progress like we expect.

I think if Hayward doesn't get back to form then you could think about trading him like in a scenario I discussed before or even this offseason. A very very tough task with that contract but I think the Cavs would explore that option possibly.

You hope to see Brown progress bc this is his last year until 20-21 when he has his qualifying offer. You gotta hope he forms into a clear #2. He is another guy that had his growth stunted in the mix.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are a fool if you believe they will ride out AD until the end of the season. Griffin is too smart for that, as are ALL NBA GMs. Griffin is ALSO too smart to invest in aging CP3 at $40M a season. AD reiterated at his recent meeting with Griffin that he still wants out. He WILL be traded, which changes the whole offseason into a rebuild.

Exactly. I don't think there is any doubt that Griffin will try to hard sell AD into staying. It's in the immediate and long term best interest for the Pels.

But he's also not stupid and is going to want to get as close to max value for AD as he can get.

So, if AD continues to insist that he wants out, Griffin is unlikely to try to keep him and risk getting less for him, or worse, getting nothing for him.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie posted this on his Instagram account yesterday. I think it clarifies everything:

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
My light Brothers and Sisters! The age of No More Secrets is upon us. World Peace will be achieved in our life time and we better Effin believe it! Let them have the fabricated bullsh!t. That genuine love and energy spreads all over the world. Eye see all.
I AM
"

:noidea:

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In fairness... the Milwaukee team the C's faced this season is better than any team the C's faced the prior year.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Build around Tatum, I think it is their only option. I would at least pencil them into a 4-7 seed but what if Hayward comes back to form? I think they can't compete for a title but they can do a damn good job of competing and giving some of those top teams trouble if their young players progress like we expect.

I think if Hayward doesn't get back to form then you could think about trading him like in a scenario I discussed before or even this offseason. A very very tough task with that contract but I think the Cavs would explore that option possibly.

You hope to see Brown progress bc this is his last year until 20-21 when he has his qualifying offer. You gotta hope he forms into a clear #2. He is another guy that had his growth stunted in the mix.
Point blank question:

Do either you or @trojanfan12 think the Celtics have much of a chance at a title with Jayson Tatum as their best player?

Let's say... within the next 3 years.

?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie posted this on his Instagram account yesterday. I think it clarifies everything:

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
My light Brothers and Sisters! The age of No More Secrets is upon us. World Peace will be achieved in our life time and we better Effin believe it! Let them have the fabricated bullsh!t. That genuine love and energy spreads all over the world. Eye see all.
I AM
"

What a smug self righteous prick.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point blank question:

Do either you or @trojanfan12 think the Celtics have much of a chance at a title with Jayson Tatum as their best player?

?

The answer is no.

Oh hellllllllll no

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Correct.

That's why I'm all in here... take a shot now, make it work.

Brow alternative is Blake griffin.

But don’t ask me how you make that deal work.

And then somehow deal for Conley too.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness... the Milwaukee team the C's faced this season is better than any team the C's faced the prior year.

Better hope no Cavs fans see this. :heh:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point blank question:

?

Yes, if he is the player we saw last season (especially in the playoffs) and he continues to develop.

As some folks have suggested, Kyrie likely stunted a few guys growth. But imo, it would be Tatum whose growth would be stunted most because he had become their best player and "go to".

Plus, as others pointed out, there really was very little, if any, drop off in his stats. He just didn't have "it" like he did last year.

If he is as good as I believe most of us think he is...the C's may already have the pieces. Especially if Hayward returns to form.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Hermetic Friends, Inc.
I AM
"

I see the message

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the message
giphy.gif

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, if he is the player we saw last season (especially in the playoffs) and he continues to develop.

As some folks have suggested, Kyrie likely stunted a few guys growth. But imo, it would be Tatum whose growth would be stunted most because he had become their best player and "go to".

Plus, as others pointed out, there really was very little, if any, drop off in his stats. He just didn't have "it" like he did last year.

If he is as good as I believe most of us think he is...the C's may already have the pieces. Especially if Hayward returns to form.
You're more optimistic on this front than I am, Mr Lakers fan. ;)