• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics Off-Season - the Quest for AD

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problem there, he will sign an extention and stay next to Zion where he has a (secure) future

Usually "indications" mean nothing... The reporters always want to create "subjects" they can sell to the public, the important thing is that the (all new) F.O. of the Pelicans is clear... They are not trading him!

If they insist that they won't trade AD, why you insist that they will? If they see no problem if they loose Davis in free agency, why do you insist they have a problem?

No problem there either... the only contracts under cap space they have are Hill's and Moore's who are both expiring and they have bought a ton of picks to sweeten them up and move them... They'll get extra exceptions out of extending Randle, they get an amount under MLE for any important addition they may do out of free agency and they have a trade exception after they moved Mirotic...

Best thing IMO, is if they go after CP3 for the PG they need to add next to Holiday, Zion, Randle and Davis and dump the (expiring) contracts of Hill and Moore to Houston... They'll get the exceptions that come with CP3 and will have tons of cap space to make a super max offer to AD without ever paying a penny in lux tax...

Re-signing Randle uses up their current cap space. You expect them to dump two contracts by dumping picks with them. Now they don't have those picks to build with. They would potentially have what, maybe $12M at most to work with (after accounting for 9 empty spot cap holds)? Mirotic's trade exception is only $3.1M, not exactly going to draw a difference maker. The mini-MLE isn't all that much either. Plus, by re-signing Randle, you just made either Randle or Zion a rotation player. They're not going to start all 3 (AD, Randle, Zion). I'm not seeing enough of an improvement to change AD's mind. His mind may be already decided, regardless of improvements anyway.

If you honestly believe that the Pels will risk losing AD for nothing, you are the biggest fool on the SportsHoopla. Congrats. If he sticks to his guns to the trade deadline, he will be dealt (and the Pels will get less than they would get now).

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re-signing Randle uses up their current cap space. You expect them to dump two contracts by dumping picks with them. Now they don't have those picks to build with. They would potentially have what, maybe $12M at most to work with (after accounting for 9 empty spot cap holds)? Mirotic's trade exception is only $3.1M, not exactly going to draw a difference maker. The mini-MLE isn't all that much either. Plus, by re-signing Randle, you just made either Randle or Zion a rotation player. They're not going to start all 3 (AD, Randle, Zion). I'm not seeing enough of an improvement to change AD's mind. His mind may be already decided, regardless of improvements anyway.

If you honestly believe that the Pels will risk losing AD for nothing, you are the biggest fool on the SportsHoopla. Congrats. If he sticks to his guns to the trade deadline, he will be dealt (and the Pels will get less than they would get now).

Look I talk nice to people and expect them to do the same when they quote me... Therefore I'll start with this... "If you think that they won't play all Zion, Randle and AD on the floor, you are the biggest fool not only in SportsHoopla, but also in the universe!" (am I not nice?)

The Pels will play Zion at SF, Randle at PF and AD at CF next season and will use Wood coming from bench as to rotate at both PF and CF as well as internally rotate Zion at SF and PF when their back up SF (possibly Snell from the Bucks? - who carries his bird rights with his contract) comes from bench... Other than this, they'll play Jrue at SG and will look to add a good PG to the starting roster and an 1/2 combo guard coming from bench as well as keep Payton.

They don't have 9 empty spots... Wood for instance is on a 2-year contract but next season not guaranteed (it's a mistake that he appears to be on an 1-year deal on different sites)...

As I said before, CP3 looks to be ideal for them and of course there won't be much competition (if any) if they ask to buy his contract from Houston for (both expiring) Hill and Moore and that would save all their cap space problems and even allow them to offer Davis a super max next season, without ever paying a single penny in lux tax.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I talk nice to people and expect them to do the same when they quote me... Therefore I'll start with this... "If you think that they won't play all Zion, Randle and AD on the floor, you are the biggest fool not only in SportsHoopla, but also in the universe!" (am I not nice?)

The Pels will play Zion at SF, Randle at PF and AD at CF next season and will use Wood coming from bench as to rotate at both PF and CF as well as internally rotate Zion at SF and PF when their back up SF (possibly Snell from the Bucks? - who carries his bird rights with his contract) comes from bench... Other than this, they'll play Jrue at SG and will look to add a good PG to the starting roster and an 1/2 combo guard coming from bench as well as keep Payton.

They don't have 9 empty spots... Wood for instance is on a 2-year contract but next season not guaranteed (it's a mistake that he appears to be on an 1-year deal on different sites)...

As I said before, CP3 looks to be ideal for them and of course there won't be much competition (if any) if they ask to buy his contract from Houston for (both expiring) Hill and Moore and that would save all their cap space problems and even allow them to offer Davis a super max next season, without ever paying a single penny in lux tax.
Wait a minute.....Bucks aren't in the AD sweepstakes with Snell in their arsenal?

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here you're... they've corrected it,

New Orleans Pelicans Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

They only have 3 empty spots for next season after they add Zion and their other pick and if they make a move for CP3 and dump the salaries of Hill and Moore, they'll end up with some 110M of salaries and three empty spots which they can cover up cheap for their deep roster after choosing out of the undrafted players... With the lux tax line at 144M for the 20/21 season, they can offer AD a super max and never pay lux tax for ages ahead.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics should let Kyrie walk... Addition by subtraction.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years go it looked like Boston was going to have a dominate team for the next half decade in the East with just tons of good young players and tons of picks

if Kyrie leaves they will hae squandered a huge part of their impressive rebuild and have very very little to show for it.

I hope Kyrie goes to Brooklyn.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years go it looked like Boston was going to have a dominate team for the next half decade in the East with just tons of good young players and tons of picks

if Kyrie leaves they will hae squandered a huge part of their impressive rebuild and have very very little to show for it.

I hope Kyrie goes to Brooklyn.

@Shaggy

we need a middle finger button to go with cake and chill....

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute.....Bucks aren't in the AD sweepstakes with Snell in their arsenal?
Nope... They would be if AD was for sale after Davis said that the Bucks are among his preferred destinations, but now that the Pelicans are not trading AD the Bucks are looking elsewhere.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking professionals here... they don't all have to eat holiday meals at the same table, but they should be able to work together.

IMO, Rozier has been unprofessional in this scenario... and to the extent that anyone else thinks or acts like Rozier... (I haven't seen any evidence of that, btw)... they would be just as much to blame as Kyrie.
theres stories of Kyrie not talking to his Cavs teammates and practice for weeks on end...not like 1 or 2 weeks. like almost 2 months. lol

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking professionals here... they don't all have to eat holiday meals at the same table, but they should be able to work together.

IMO, Rozier has been unprofessional in this scenario... and to the extent that anyone else thinks or acts like Rozier... (I haven't seen any evidence of that, btw)... they would be just as much to blame as Kyrie.

You want to put just as much blame on a bench player than their star player? lol that's not how it works. Part of the problem with Rozier IS Kyrie so really Kyrie is the cause of all this. Celtics fans now realize why Cavs fans were so upset with what Kyrie did in Cleveland. He not only most likely forced Lebron out eventually and a chance at possibly more titles runs or FA's coming to Cleveland but he acted childish while bad-mouthing the city of Cleveland. I hope he never wins another title and imo he has been the main problem in Boston, not some bench player.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to put just as much blame on a bench player than their star player? lol that's not how it works. Part of the problem with Rozier IS Kyrie so really Kyrie is the cause of all this. Celtics fans now realize why Cavs fans were so upset with what Kyrie did in Cleveland. He not only most likely forced Lebron out eventually and a chance at possibly more titles runs or FA's coming to Cleveland but he acted childish while bad-mouthing the city of Cleveland. I hope he never wins another title and imo he has been the main problem in Boston, not some bench player.

I think 2016 made it easy for Lebron to leave.

he did what he promised he'd do.

now he can worry about building his brand and self righteously (and ignorantly) virtue signaling rather than winning titles.

Kyrie was already traded when Bron left.

The Cavs were gonna trade the Sexton pick for Kemba.

Lebron chose to go all on his own.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics fans now realize why Cavs fans were so upset with what Kyrie did in Cleveland. He not only most likely forced Lebron out eventually...
It's somewhat interesting that your main overall point is 'blame the bigger/better player'... and in the middle of that main point you blame Kyrie for the actions of LeBron... :scratch: ;)... what am I even supposed to make outta that?

Anyway... I don't necessarily agree with the maxim you've created here... nor do I see the need for a maxim whatsoever. I blame Rozier for the 2 things I highlighted that attach directly to him, without reference to any other human being.

Beyond that, it's not a zero sum game... both Kyrie can be blamed for what directly attaches to him and Rozier can be blamed for his part and it doesn't have to be an either/or.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2016 made it easy for Lebron to leave.

he did what he promised he'd do.

now he can worry about building his brand and self righteously (and ignorantly) virtue signaling rather than winning titles.

Kyrie was already traded when Bron left.

The Cavs were gonna trade the Sexton pick for Kemba.

Lebron chose to go all on his own.

If Kyrie stays and commits, Bron most likely stays...it also means they have a greater chance of getting another big player in a trade. The point is, it all fell apart when Kyrie demanded a trade. Also, after the Kyrie trade if Lebron would have committed (which I don't blame him for not) they could get Kemba or another player...possibly PG in the Kyrie trade.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics should let Kyrie walk... Addition by subtraction.
Let's say Kyrie walks... and Boston doesn't get AD.

Anyone have the Celtics seriously competing for a title in that set of events?

Bueller?

They'll be a nice team... but not able to beat the Giannis', Kawhi's, and Golden States of the world in a 7 game series.

And then what? That's it?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's somewhat interesting that your main overall point is 'blame the bigger/better player'... and in the middle of that main point you blame Kyrie for the actions of LeBron... :scratch: ;)... what am I even supposed to make outta that?

Anyway... I don't necessarily agree with the maxim you've created here... nor do I see the need for a maxim whatsoever. I blame Rozier for the 2 things I highlighted that attach directly to him, without reference to any other human being.

Beyond that, it's not a zero sum game... both Kyrie can be blamed for what directly attaches to him and Rozier can be blamed for his part and it doesn't have to be an either/or.

No. I am saying if Kyrie doesn't force his way out there is WAY GREATER chance Lebron stays. I think everyone can agree with that and there are plenty of reasons why.

You are trying to put equal blame for both players, Rozier and Kyrie...."they would be just as much to blame as Kyrie." Rozier being unhappy relates to Kyrie. Was Rozier unhappy when Kyrie was hurt or shutting his mouth? It isn't a coincidence Kyrie forces a trade from CLE as well as causes dysfunction inside the CLE locker room then gets traded to Boston and as soon as he steps on the floor the same dysfunction happens in Boston. You are fooling yourself if you don't think this is the root of the problem here. That's who Kyrie has become. Lets see if Rozier has a problem when Kyrie leaves or goes to a different team. It's a pattern.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Kyrie walks... and Boston doesn't get AD.

Anyone have the Celtics seriously competing for a title in that set of events?

Bueller?

They'll be a nice team... but not able to beat the Giannis', Kawhi's, and Golden States of the world in a 7 game series.

And then what? That's it?

Nope.

Dump al. Maybe even trade Tatum and brown for picks and load up on cap space for 2021.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

Dump al. Maybe even trade Tatum and brown for picks and load up on cap space for 2021.
So the alternative is gut job and full rebuild (more or less)?

Great.

This is why I propose going all-in in the opening post... there's no other alternative, really... (other than the reset button)... not if the goal is winning a championship.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the alternative is gut job and full rebuild (more or less)?

Great.

This is why I propose going all-in in the opening post... there's no other alternative, really... (other than the reset button)... not if the goal is winning a championship.

I mean the other option is dump Al and get brow and somehow convince kawhi to sign here.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the other option is dump Al and get brow and somehow convince kawhi to sign here.
Well... sh!t yeah!... if Kawhi will come to Boston I'll meet him at the airport... help him move... whatever else he wants. Anything. ;)

That's not on my realistic radar of possibility, though. That being said: f#ck yeah I'm down with that idea.. we can dream.