• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caponomics of McCoy's Contract and Why This Hopefully Is A Sign Philly May Trade With Us For Mariota

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont get me wrong, there have occasionally been guys who I thought might be worth this kind of deal. But the last few players that have been considered in this kind of deal have had too many questions to make it anything other than questionable logic at best.

I completely agree with you on this post & all of the other ones from you in this thread. Your analogy to the RB trade is a good one. Just because Ditka traded the farm for Ricky Williams doesn't make that the starting pt. for similar trades (especially since RB value has declined over time). Ditto for using the RG3 trade as a starting pt.

That trade is not a good comparison since 1. QBs like that are viewed skeptically at this time regardless of college success (applies to Mariota) 2. not every team is the 2012 Redskins (not even the 2015 Redskins) & 3. the Eagles are not that desperate (unlike Redskins in 2012).

As for your statement above - sure if we were talking about Andrew Luck this might be a different discussion but that is not the case.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when we made the Rg3 trade i was against it because it gutted multiple drafts . so i agree with shark on that very much

shark and i got into things that side tracked the philosophy

dean is right on one thing . the only way to secure marriotta is to trade up with the titans . if they like williams then its the jags .

the jags have the chance to fleece the eagles and the eagle secure marriotta

if the jags pass , then the raiders will do it because wr is a deep position

the only way the skins get into this is if this deal is a draft night deal and the other teams have made their picks

no one however is offering us an Rg3 type deal to jump the jets

There's simply no reasonable deal the Eagles could offer the Titans to move up to second overall. In order to do that, you'd have to give up first rounders to 2018 and players like Fletcher Cox. As for an RGIII deal, that's the market now. Some may deal lower than that, of course, and they'd be fools to do so if you've got circumstances similar to those we had with the Rams.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry i dont see the Rg3 deal as a standard . i see it as a foolish saints play when they trade a hole draft for ricky williams . that didnt become a standard

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry i dont see the Rg3 deal as a standard . i see it as a foolish saints play when they trade a hole draft for ricky williams . that didnt become a standard

The entire Saints draft would be less than the bounty we gave up. After the third round, those picks are really hit and miss.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they also gave up a 1st in the next draft and another pick

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The entire Saints draft would be less than the bounty we gave up. After the third round, those picks are really hit and miss.

the point you are missing is that wasnt a standard and niether will the Rg3 trade

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we'll just to have disagree on this one. I'd submit that the trade of all picks in one year and the two the next is the substantial equivalent of the RGIII deal, which involved one more first rounder. And that trade is still being used as the standard by which jumps into the top five picks are being judged.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THe thread starter explains cap economics really well and I see your point but some of your numbers are off. You stated the Eagles opened up 7.5 million in cap space this year in trading McCoy but what I read was it was over 10 million that opened up, not 7.5 million.

Very good post though. Chip is either gonna look like a genius or a fool. Time will tell.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the example above, the difference between that and trading him would be a relatively small $2.5M in cap space savings (i.e., restructuring $7.75M would clear $5M in space, whereas trading him frees up $7.75M).

Many thanks for the props, ncmalko. I believe you're correct and the excerpt from my thread starter is above. I did note that there'd be a $2.5M cap savings between the restructuring hypothetical I posed ($7.75M) and the cap number the Eagles ultimately cleared. Obviously, that number isn't $7.75M but $7.75M + $2.5M which would be around $10M.

Thanks for catching that. Unfortunately, I can't edit it out now. :)