• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caponomics of McCoy's Contract and Why This Hopefully Is A Sign Philly May Trade With Us For Mariota

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't still get the economics underlying Shady's departure. It's true his cap number this year is very large; indeed, it's just about $12M. But his contract is a very cap-friendly deal for Philly. That's because most of his cap number this year is non-guaranteed base salary ($9.75M). If the Eagles were smart, they could, as an example, convert $7.75M of that salary into a signing bonus. Because his contract is up in 2017, the annualized salary cap amortization for that bonus is about $2.5M per year.

Under this scenario, McCoy's cap number drops to around $7M, and the Eagles clear about $5M in cap space this year. In 2016 and 2017, McCoy's base salary numbers actually drop to $6.9M and $7.6M, which makes his cap number this year a sort of balloon cap number right in the middle of his contract.

Let's, however, focus in on next year: his non-guaranteed money is $7.15M (which is the sum of his base salary a $250K roster bonus). If he gets cut or traded then, his prior signing bonus pro-rate is $1.7M -- and it's important to note that he's got no pro-rate for 2017. Adding the accelerated $5M unamortized bonus money for the hypothetical $7.75M restructuring I'm posing here, that's $6.7M due at the time he's cut or traded. However, because his $7.15M base salary / roster bonus comes off the books, the Eagles can actually clear about $400K if they decide to part ways with McCoy in 2016.

Note once again that McCoy has no prior bonus pro-rate for 2017. Because his base salary is $7.6M that year, the hypothetical restructure above would only involve an unamortized amount of $2.5M. In view of this, if the Eagles really wanted to, they could restructure some of Shady's 2016 base salary into cash. Let's say they convert all of it to bonus money. That would result in a two-year pro-ration of $3.45M over 2016 and 2017 and his cap number in 2016 would be $7.6M, which is actually lower than what his 2016 cap number currently stands at $8.85M.

In 2017, if the Eagles wanted to cut or trade him then, McCoy would have $7.85M in base salary / roster bonus money and a $3.45M pro-rated bonus. In that case, cutting or trading him then would save $4.4M off their cap.

Who knows why they're getting rid of him. They did clear about $7.5M in cap space by trading him to the Bills. But is that really worth the cap space in doing so? To be sure, Kiko Alonso looked like a rising young LB. But he's an unproven commodity whereas McCoy is both young and an established run - pass threat. And, of course, Alonso has that ACL tear. Go figure what his status is now given that injury.

Maybe Chip Kelly somehow has a mad genius plan that will work out here. But I just can't see it -- at least at this time. The Eagles could've easily created enough cap space to keep McCoy around. Under the example above, the difference between that and trading him would be a relatively small $2.5M in cap space savings (i.e., restructuring $7.75M would clear $5M in space, whereas trading him frees up $7.75M).

With Kelly in a mood to make sweeping changes, let's hope he does that with giving us the picks we want to trade up to #5 overall this April.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Philly trade with us? Wouldn't the Jags or Raiders take the deal? The deal would be exactly on what we gave up for RG3. Why would Philly give a division rival the draft picks?

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the jump between picks in the top five selections is enormous. For instance, there's a 900 point difference between the pick held by Tennessee and ours. The only one that makes sense is the one between ours and the fourth overall, which would be 100 points. But dropping back as far as you possibly can without getting screwed is the balancing act you need to pull off when trading in the draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Raiders are going to turn down three 1st rounds picks and a 2nd? lol. I don't think so. Most people are mocking a WR to the Raiders. So it White or Cooper worth three first round picks and a 2nd? I don't think so.

Even if you are JAX you take that deal. If I am Tampa and the Eagles throw in Foles I would take that deal.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd normally be inclined to agree with you on the Raiders pick. The reason I don't think they'll trade out of that pick because of Amari Cooper. For other teams, they'd be fools to settle for what we gave up to get RGIII. They'd need to throw in another first or a player like Fletcher Cox. And for Tennessee I'm not sure what could realistically pass off as a fair trade for a move from 20-to-2.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK first let me say, I think Dean would reject any situation that did not have the Redskins picking Shelton. I dare say he seems so infatuated with this kid that if it cost us an extra pick to get him, he might convince himself it was worth it.

Secondly, no team in their right mind will ever again do what we did to get Griffin, especially for a QB. So while Philly might try and trade up, they are in a bad spot to get that high. I think logic and reality rule and if anything they try and trade up to the Jets spot or if they cant and Mariota is gone, they stay smart and make a logical move with pick what ever that may be come draft time.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My, my ... that Shark is a smart guy. :). I think the realistic trade options with Philly stop with us. If Mariota is available at six, the Jets are taking him. There's a slight chance Bowles might go defense in which case the Rams at 10 would be the absolute end of the road for him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My, my ... that Shark is a smart guy. :). I think the realistic trade options with Philly stop with us. If Mariota is available at six, the Jets are taking him. There's a slight chance Bowles might go defense in which case the Rams at 10 would be the absolute end of the road for him.

Careful bro... many have thought I was batshit crazy since about 2012... some longer. LOL

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the crazy thing as a compliment. The real crazy is going on in the city with the cracked Liberty Bell.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that Chip is very concerned about his QB situation. I was not a Foles guy but it was hard to argue with the numbers he put up in 2013. I really don't see why Chip is so worried.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are missing the point. Why would the Eagles trade with us if they can trade with the Raiders. Yes its going to take an RG3 type deal to move from 20 to 4. IF we sign Dan Williams I do not want Shelton. No way the raiders give up all those picks just for Cooper. Shark, a QB is the only reason why you trade for all of those picks.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I agree with that. It's obviously a QB league, not sure why Shark would write "especially for a QB" when that is the only position that would warrant multiple high picks.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would write especially for a QB because right now its looking like we got raped on that deal. And any sane person would look at that type of deal in the future as a possible franchise killer. Chip Kelly would basically be saying he is going to sink or swim on this one guy.. .Now I hope he is that dumb. But I said before we made the trade it was stupid. I have thus far been proven out, it was stupid. You make that kind of deal the guy had better turn out to be hell of a lot more than a one year wonder that you HOPE can eventually pan out to be above average... which is where we are with RG3 at the moment.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are missing the point. Why would the Eagles trade with us if they can trade with the Raiders. Yes its going to take an RG3 type deal to move from 20 to 4. IF we sign Dan Williams I do not want Shelton. No way the raiders give up all those picks just for Cooper. Shark, a QB is the only reason why you trade for all of those picks.

A coach once traded an entire draft for a RB... how did that work out?? Anything more than a single extra pick for a guy irrespective of position is a BAD idea.. its twice as bad for a QB. As I said, its a franchise killer move. If the guy does not pan out to be elite, there is almost no way to justify what it will take for Philly to move up to our spot, much less the Raiders spot.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While the Raiders could be a possible trade partner for Chippy, they won't be trading out of that pick because they covet either Amari Cooper or Kevin White. If they trade up to 20, both of them will be long gone by then. Trading from 20 to three is simply no realistic. It's like asking a homeless guy what he's got in trade for your new Rolls Royce. Theoretically, it's possible; realistically, it's time to move on.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that Chip is very concerned about his QB situation. I was not a Foles guy but it was hard to argue with the numbers he put up in 2013. I really don't see why Chip is so worried.

Foles had a monster year two years ago because he got all the time in the world to throw behind that stalwart o-line. He sometimes had eight or nine seconds to throw. And he had a great supporting cast in Shady, Desean and Maclin (in addition to Celek and Ertz). Last year, his line started to get injured and its effectiveness dropped off. Because Foles is a statue and couldn't run too well, his production dramatically declined. And his inability to run doesn't fit Kelly's system.

If the Eagles don't re-sign Maclin, they're looking, right now, at skill positions featuring Jordan Matthews and Riley Cooper at WR, Chris Polk at RB, Ertz and Celek at TEs, and a very iffy Nick Foles at QB. They also are looking at an aging o-line that's now missing Todd Herremans and that could see further dropoff in production this year. That can obviously change with FA, especially with the monstrous cap space they have. But they have a lot of holes to fill.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the day Chip Kelly is probably hoping the Jets figure something out at QB before the draft, and the Rams come up with a plan as well. Because bottom line, the kind of trade being proposed is basically saying.. .This guy is worth 3,4 or 5 other players combined. Its faulty logic that in most cases flames out, its just the level of flamage that comes into question. For every Julio Jones, you got a Ricky Williams, RG3 or some other block buster draft deal that ended up hurting or in some cases crippling a franchise for years after the deal is done.

redskinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is faulty logic, and that's something Howie Roseman has pointed out either yesterday or the day before. Will Chippy listen to the guy he's now vanquished in their recent power struggle? Let's hope not.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is faulty logic, and that's something Howie Roseman has pointed out either yesterday or the day before. Will Chippy listen to the guy he's now vanquished in their recent power struggle? Let's hope not.

Dont get me wrong, there have occasionally been guys who I thought might be worth this kind of deal. But the last few players that have been considered in this kind of deal have had too many questions to make it anything other than questionable logic at best.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when we made the Rg3 trade i was against it because it gutted multiple drafts . so i agree with shark on that very much

shark and i got into things that side tracked the philosophy

dean is right on one thing . the only way to secure marriotta is to trade up with the titans . if they like williams then its the jags .

the jags have the chance to fleece the eagles and the eagle secure marriotta

if the jags pass , then the raiders will do it because wr is a deep position

the only way the skins get into this is if this deal is a draft night deal and the other teams have made their picks

no one however is offering us an Rg3 type deal to jump the jets