• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cactus schedule

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we learned about Jumbo sharpening his game.

Diaz was designated for assignment by the Reds on Monday, Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.

The move was to clear a roster spot for Christian Walker, who was claimed off waivers by the Reds on Monday.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Jumbo was going to be around long. I think going to the WBC guaranteed his fate.

Sal Romano had another solid outing. Three IP, 1 run on a solo shot and 4 k's.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jumbo was the first man out anyway. He will get a contract with somebody.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nobody claims Jumbo, he may elect to accept assignment. He has the option to choose free agency as well.

I think going to the WBC makes him unattractive to teams that might have interest in claiming him. He's basically saying he's not available..... I'll get back with you when I'm not busy.

I think there's a good chance he ends up in Louisville.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amir Garrett takes the mound again today. Adleman on Thursday and Reed on Friday. There's split squad Saturday and a single game Sunday. I assume Feldman and Finnegan on two of those, maybe Robert Stephenson makes the third?

Haven't heard when Disco will make an appearance. The lame duck press is more interested in talking about Bronson Arroyo.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Jumbo was going to be around long. I think going to the WBC guaranteed his fate.

Sal Romano had another solid outing. Three IP, 1 run on a solo shot and 4 k's.

I listened to the game and watched the game tracker yesterday. It seemed that Romano took a page out of Adelman's playbook yesterday. He was throwing the ball over the plate for strikes and keeping it down in the zone. Great command of the strike zone yesterday!

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romano has a pretty good track record of throwing strikes since being drafted out of HS. Probably catching too much of the plate at times. He has good velocity with improving breaking stuff. He took a big step forward in 2016 AA Pensacola. I'd say his stock is rising.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard time deciphering spring training on a team with about 16 open spots. Too many double A auditions both hitting and pitching on both sides...veterans going through the motions or working on hobby techniques and rookies with options overperforming to no avail. I know it's old school, but I don't buy too much stock in non-descript player performance in the early spring or late summer. I do think last chances like Arroyo or gimpies like Desclafani should be under the microscope, but contracts usually dictate who gets opportunities over performance...Reds are almost expansion team like in some respects- they have a lot of cheap options, some of which are guarantees to give it a go ( Feldman, Storen) with plenty of reason for doubt.

Among the many/all weaknesses- they can't do worse in the PH department-they had zero PH HR last year...and it's going to be tough to have a worse bullpen. I'm hopeful about SB totals from Hamilton and Peraza, but unsure how frequently they will get on base, and if Votto and Duvall can react to moving runners and fat fastballs at the same time. Fans are going to have to rely on patience or sense of humor with the starting rotation, I fear. This rotation reminds me of the day when Jimmy Haines was the Reds #1 SP. He might still be a better opening day choice ;/

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree it's hard to decipher the quality of a guys performance during ST for a myriad of reasons.

Evaluation of a players ST performance is in the eye of the beholder and the people making the decisions haven't had a great track record in recent years.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To take 1507 point about a weak bench one step further. The Reds didn't have a DH hit a home run either and they slashed for .150/.190/.150 during interleague play.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Some " fans need to be entertained more than others. So MLB tightens the strike zone. The result will be more hits, more runs, and more HR's. And eventually more tainted broken records. I personally like to see well pitched, well played and well managed games. The MLB higher ups just can't quit screwing with the game. But I know.. They have to bring in more fans...

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More fans or more money?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't dismiss all ST performance as irrelevant for a couple of reasons. What a team is trying to do is acclimate itself to real game situations. Hamilton should be bunting. Suarez should be working on filling the hole in the 6-5 zone. Outfielders should all be hitting cutoffs. Even guys who are not going to make the team need to be doing this at the top level.

We all know hitting and pitching are practically unimportant in the desert. But learning how to read a slider is never a bad program.

We all know this stuff.

I agree that whatever is happening now is a matter of deciding whether a pitcher is assigned to the Bats camp or the Wahoos camp. Personally, I think Bronson should volunteer to pitch in Daytona until he proves he can go 40 pitches.

The bench? Yeah, it sucked for the last 2 years and should be better now with Raburn and Jennings. I don't know if Alcantara can make this team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IN case anybody cares, my avatar photo came from a blog that features stories about the Old Judge baseball cards. I looked up the data on these two standout Red Stockings players. Hugh Nicol was born a Brit so I'd assume he had some cricketing skills as well. Reilly truly was a local QC product.

1889 Cincinnati Red Stockings Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Hugh Nicol Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

John Reilly Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

4118.jpg

The blog itself is quite interesting and contains a great amount of stuff from the 19th century teams.

Guest Blog: Diamonds in the Rough – Ars Longa Art Cards

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Renda make this roster?
He is probably a better fielder than Alcantara and clearly healthier than Herrera.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing that works against Renda is he's a non-roster invitee that can be assigned to Louiville. Alcantara is on the 40 man with no assignment options. Herrera has one option remaining and his shoulder appears to be a chronic problem.

Renda has hit well early, but most people put more emphasis on performance as the quality of opposing pitchers improves. A lot of fastballs early in camp, let's see how they hit when pitchers start going deeper and mixing in more breaking/ off speed stuff. I still think the Reds would like to see Alcantara step up and take the UT job.

I'm not sure Alcantara can hit for a descent average if they put the ball on a tee.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some propaganda that Herrera was better on D and the plate than Peraza and would push Peraza to OF this year. I HOPE so, but still believe Cozarts salary ( half the MLB average) will be too "pricy" for him to stay, moving Peraza to SS, clearing a path for a 2b only player like Herrera by mid season, providing health, Herrera hitting, and willingness to start his FA clock.

Renda reminds me of Freel, less the goggles, wheels and bat. I know more about Trumps taxes than I do about Alcantara. He can play a few positions, a handy tool for a manager with thin options.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 36 pitchers in Reds camp, 25 of them were not with the Reds last year.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds used 32 pitchers during the 2016 campaign. Considering how poorly a large portion of them pitched, it's probably best that several weren't retained.

I'd guess about 2/3 of the guys in camp this season were in the Reds system somewhere by the end of last year. A couple free agents and several waiver claims comprise most the other new arms. I would expect a few less new faces by the time this club reaches it's 2018 ST.

There's a few guys that haven't seen action. Bronson, Desclafani, Travieso, and Louis Coleman have assorted injury/illnesses. The guy I haven't heard anything about is Vladimir Gutierrez. He's listed as a NRI.

I'm not sure why they invited him to MLB camp. He signed a minor league deal and has yet to pitch at any level for the Reds.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last couple starters were polverized.

Amir Garrett gave up 5 unearned runs after a self inflicted two base throwing error. The inning spun out of control after the error. You'd like to see a young pitcher limit the damage when faced with adversity, but he was unable to do it in that instance. It's part of the learning process and maturing as a pitcher.

Tim Adleman was uncharacteristically wild walking four before taking a line drive off his shoulder in the second inning. The liner shortened his appearance, but he wasn't getting anything accomplished other than compiling a pitch count. He'll probably come out next time and pound the zone.