• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all though Buzz was a pretty likeable guy and did a lot of good things off the court. I am glad he came to Marquette and honestly felt he did a pretty solid job upgrading Tom Crean. It will be very interesting who is in the lot of coaches figuring for the job. Just like you stated Marquette certainly paid Buzz well. Good luck Buzz, even if you are in Va Tech now, go figure. One last thing, anyone thinking this was a step up for Buzz just doesn't follow basketball because it simply wasn't. Hockey keep up the good work, always enjoy your input.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really believe the Jamil stuff was basically all on Jamil. That guy just didn't have "IT" he didn't have the motor or killer instinct. That's why as a sophomore when Otule went down and Jamil played the 5 to save Jae to benefit Jae. He worked because he was a role guy, couldn't be the man. I put that on Jamil because guys of Jamils mold(inside/outside) strived under Buzz and Jamil was probably most talented.

The mind boggling thing about Todd is how long it took for him to trust Todd(I know some was off the court on Todd) but Todd like everyone on this team made a lot of mistakes. Difference is for so long it would be 1 mistake and back to the bench. Mayo is one of those guys who needs 5 minutes to get a feel for the game. If not, he will come in and force everything. If he knows hes going to play, he will be smart and that's why he exploded in so many second halfs, he got a feel.

Buzz was awful at drawing up plays out of TO's and was lost this year with a team that's strengths were forwards. He's much better working a guards game. I mean you can't ignore what the man did with Lazar and the midgets just making the tourney. So hopefully we find a good replacement. Because while hes replaceable, it ain't going to be easy.

1 silver lining. Is no matter who we hire. No way that coach plays Derrick Wilson and Juan Anderson. Duane and Deonte will be unleashed.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called the ACC and nat televised games against UNC, Duke, Cuse, ND, Pitt, Louisville etc...

Virginia Tech is one of the only athletic programs in the country that runs consistently in the black and has a fanbase that will go rabid if you produce. It isn't some Podunk college in a middling conference that is stagnating. Maybe he wanted a change of scenery, higher profile conference and a new challenge and the timing was right.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly my biggest concern is how he will react to being second fiddle. As long as Beamer (or Foster or Gray) are in Blacksburg it is a football school. The best we (as Hokies) can hope for is he taps the DC recruiting bed and the prep schools in VA (FUMA is already heavy Hokie) and we become a program like Wisconsin or MSU who is good at both sports but still run by one (football). I don't know much about Buzz's personality but can be handle being second at a school and having a ceiling as maybe MAYBE t1 because that is the situation in Blacksburg.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is something that isn't adding up. The recruiting violations and NCAA investigation rumor looks to be false but I think there is something to him being forced out.

I mean he was set to make 4 million at a pure basketball school that spends the second most money in the nation(behind Duke) he has a private jet for recruiting. Great talent coming in and great talent around him. And he bolts for a bottom feeder that has to compete with Cuse, UL, Duke and UNC? I think there may be a reason we let him leave right away.

Otherwise theres the other scenario where he straight up left after 1 bad year. We know he feeds off the everyone against us or against me thing. He loves to be loved but that would be low if after 1 year of angry MU fans because of his own doing he bails. "I'll be here as long s they have me" And he bolts after 1 down year? I'd like to believe Buzz wouldn't do that.

Some people run toward the fire, others hope the wind blows it the other way.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called the ACC and nat televised games against UNC, Duke, Cuse, ND, Pitt, Louisville etc...

Virginia Tech is one of the only athletic programs in the country that runs consistently in the black and has a fanbase that will go rabid if you produce. It isn't some Podunk college in a middling conference that is stagnating. Maybe he wanted a change of scenery, higher profile conference and a new challenge and the timing was right.

I never said that Va Tech was some Podunk college but here are the facts. Marquette I believe made it to like nine straight NCAA tournamets in a row up until this season. We've won a national title and had a Elite eight recently and a final four back when Dwayne Wade was with us. The basketball history when comparing Marquette and Va Tech isn't even close. I know the ACC is a real desirable new fangled conference but the move wasn't a move up. I do get the money part of it and nationally televised games but like Mr. Hockey said Buzz was getting paid and getting paid well. Nobody was calling your beloved Va Tech Podunk just saying Marquette has simply been the much better program. Like I stated before there are no hard feelings here what so ever.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly my biggest concern is how he will react to being second fiddle. As long as Beamer (or Foster or Gray) are in Blacksburg it is a football school. The best we (as Hokies) can hope for is he taps the DC recruiting bed and the prep schools in VA (FUMA is already heavy Hokie) and we become a program like Wisconsin or MSU who is good at both sports but still run by one (football). I don't know much about Buzz's personality but can be handle being second at a school and having a ceiling as maybe MAYBE t1 because that is the situation in Blacksburg.

Yeah I don't know how he will like that. As I said he loves the "everyone against us" thing but he also likes to be loved. If the attention is going to football. IDK. It doesn't make sense for him to leave a high paying basketball school.

I mean why didn't he just go to SMU or Texas Tech back to his home roots? Or all the other numerous schools that came calling over the years as early as last off season.

He will be bringing Malek Harris with him but that guy is a headcase. If Hill ends up following too then you're off to a good start.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jim Calhoun to BC is legit the ACC is going to be insane.

Jim Calhoun isn't going to get signed by BC and I don't think that would be a very good hire by BC.

He is 71, has had a history of health problems and there is a history of bad blood between Calhoun and BC.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no disrespect to Buzz... Schemp.. yuk.... yuk... yuk. Gotta love those Stooges, why I oughta....

lol they changed the picture finally.

It was Scott Monarch for a while.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone remember that great coaching hire.. Isiah Thompson. God, that has to be embarrassing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-b6fGmiiI]Sportscenter Intro - Berkman screws up Isiah Thomas' name - YouTube[/ame]

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck would want to live in Wisconsin anyways?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine most are more apt to want to live in Milwaukee then fucking Blacksburg.

LOL u mad brah?

buzz-williams-dance-west-virginia-country-roads.gif

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the fuck would want to live in Wisconsin anyways?

It's like this.. Here in Wisconsin we do have to deal with harsh winters. But..

Wisconsin's poverty ranking is 16th as compared with Alabama's 47th.
Wisconsin students rank 14th in math and science as compared with Alabama's 47th.
Wisconin has a significantly lower rate of uninsured individuals as compared with Alabama.
Even Obesity rankings Wisconsin ranks 22 as compared to Alabama's 4th highest ranking.

So I have to ask the Alabama resident is Wisconsin so bad or are you just so freaking stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like this.. Here in Wisconsin we do have to deal with harsh winters. But..

Wisconsin's poverty ranking is 16th as compared with Alabama's 47th.
Wisconsin students rank 14th in math and science as compared with Alabama's 47th.
Wisconin has a significantly lower rate of uninsured individuals as compared with Alabama.
Even Obesity rankings Wisconsin ranks 22 as compared to Alabama's 4th highest ranking.

So I have to ask the Alabama resident is Wisconsin so bad or are you just so freaking stupid?

Where did I say I liked the state of Alabama and what does Alabama have to do with Buzz Williams going to VT? :laugh3:

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location Ally Bama?

Maybe location Ally Bama means you're from Virginia?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Location Ally Bama?

Maybe Ally Bama means you're from Virginia?

The cheese fumes are starting to rot your brain. Get out now while you still have a chance. (like Buzz did :whistle:)

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not lying about where I live. Maybe you're ashamed? Or is AllyBama in Virginia? Are you speaking in tongues now?