• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buy Or Sell @ Deadline? You name it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do we do? Lot of positions to fill. Do we have enough quality players to deal that will bring back what we need. That is my concern. What do you think we should do?

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do we do? Lot of positions to fill. Do we have enough quality players to deal that will bring back what we need. That is my concern. What do you think we should do?

Depends on what you mean by "what we need." Long-term or short-term?

No matter what, I cannot see JD being a buyer at the deadline. There's just way too much to be fixed right now. Even if we had the most fully stocked system in baseball, I don't think we'd have enough to fix the team at the top.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No matter what, I cannot see JD being a buyer at the deadline. There's just way too much to be fixed right now. Even if we had the most fully stocked system in baseball, I don't think we'd have enough to fix the team at the top.
I agree that we do not have enough to fix all the needs we have now. This year is off the table. Long or short term is what I want to hear from you guys. We may not all have the same opinions. lol

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we do not have enough to fix all the needs we have now. This year is off the table. Long or short term is what I want to hear from you guys. We may not all have the same opinions. lol

Well, if we're being practical, what the team should do for long-term success is restock the farm... and that means trading whoever we can, not signing any big name FA's, and suffering through some down years.

No one wants that, but it might be what the team needs. I don't think they're going to be competitive this year or the next. They've got some solid young pieces in place, but they'll need more.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only question for me is whether we deal or attempt to re-sign Darvish. Frankly, we need to push to get a deal done before the deadline. If no, then you gotta deal him.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you sell whatever you can if those players are not under control past next year. I would even trade Choo if I could get by with paying no more than two-thirds of his remaining salary. We need AA and AAA level talent in return although I would consider a High A player if he was one of the best prospects in all of baseball.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would listen to offers on Odor as well if there are clubs out there that still believe in him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would listen to offers on Odor as well if there are clubs out there that still believe in him.
Me also. I would send him down AAA and bring Profar up and find out what to do with him. Given an even chance, he will replace Odor imo. But jacking him around needs to stop. If Odor has any teams interested let them raise their hand.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My issue is I don't see much of anything in the minors. We don't have a stocked system, so it's hard to sell and have a quick rebound next year. Suppose we do trade Yu, who starts for him next year? Do we bring in Colby for the rest of this year?

Sell out this year and plan to rebuild this year and next, then what do you do with Cole? Is he content being on another shitty team for at least 2 years? Does that end any change of resigning him? So you could be looking at going into a new ballpark without any ideas for an Ace? Sure you have time to try to buy one, but when is the last big name free agent pitcher to come here? Nolan? Maybe the new place will help that but who knows at this time. I have zero hopes of developing an Ace from our farm system, Texas just can't do that for some reason. That said, here would be my plan (remember spoken like a nobody and not a real GM):

Yu - Make a lucrative offer to him and if he doesn't take it now then he won't this offseason so you trade him if anyone is offering anything of value. He isn't pitching like a top 10 pitcher but someone will offer him like one. I'm guessing at 30 he should be getting a 5 year deal but someone will offer 7 at around $30M per. I'd offer 5/$160M with 6th year team option for $30M. If he says no then trade him

Beltre - untouchable unless someone for some reason makes a silly offer, which they won't.
Elvis - His value will never be higher, but that contract with 6 years/$90M still remaining after this year. Not moveable IMO
Rougie - down year and new contract, but the contract isn't that bad. Not moveable IMO
Gallo - best we could hope for is a AA arm, no one would give up a bat. Keeping because of no market
Lucroy - unless he goes on a hot streak, who wants an aging catcher who can't defend or hit and is a rental? very little return but gets moved
Napoli - Injured. Maybe the injury is why he has sucked? unmoveable IMO
Gomez - probably not moveable after the HOU fiasco, headcase and injured
Rua - wouldn't get enough return on him to justify making the roster hole
Deshields - I think he is the most moveable part. Young, cheap, productive, but niche need so is it worth making the roster hole?
Profar - not producing much and his stock isn't very high, not much return but may be worth moving just to give him a path to play (unless Odor or Elvis gets serious interest)
Cashner or Griffin - I think one of them gets moved, but the return won't be much. Future BP arm at best
Claudio - I think if we made a deal with one of our rental or expensive guys (Yu, Lucroy, Elvis, Profar) that he could be dealt as a sweetener to increase the returns. He is the "throw in" that JD usually asks for when we are buyers.

Choo and Mazara - untouchable. One for contract reason the other for future production reason

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue is I don't see much of anything in the minors. We don't have a stocked system, so it's hard to sell and have a quick rebound next year. Suppose we do trade Yu, who starts for him next year? Do we bring in Colby for the rest of this year?

How could they be sellers AND rebound next year, regardless of the system's current stock?

Who starts for Yu, if he's not here, is probably the easiest solution the club has. There is no shortage of options there. And no, Colby is not an option for this year.

Sell out this year and plan to rebuild this year and next, then what do you do with Cole? Is he content being on another shitty team for at least 2 years? Does that end any change of resigning him? So you could be looking at going into a new ballpark without any ideas for an Ace? Sure you have time to try to buy one, but when is the last big name free agent pitcher to come here? Nolan? Maybe the new place will help that but who knows at this time. I have zero hopes of developing an Ace from our farm system, Texas just can't do that for some reason.

Cole sticks around, because I don't think he has much trade value. He was probably always destined to get bought out after 2018 anyway. He'll be content because he's making $25m or so a year. I'm not worried about whether he's content or not.

I don't think moving into the new stadium is relevant to having a true "ace."

Yu - Make a lucrative offer to him and if he doesn't take it now then he won't this offseason so you trade him if anyone is offering anything of value. He isn't pitching like a top 10 pitcher but someone will offer him like one. I'm guessing at 30 he should be getting a 5 year deal but someone will offer 7 at around $30M per. I'd offer 5/$160M with 6th year team option for $30M. If he says no then trade him

I love Darvish and it'll kill me if he plays for another team, but I don't want the Rangers paying him $32m a year for 5 years. That's too much.

Beltre - untouchable unless someone for some reason makes a silly offer, which they won't.

It's possible Beltre asks to be traded.

Elvis - His value will never be higher, but that contract with 6 years/$90M still remaining after this year. Not moveable IMO

He's only 28 and the Rangers could cover some of the contract. Far worse contracts have been traded.

Rougie - down year and new contract, but the contract isn't that bad. Not moveable IMO
Gallo - best we could hope for is a AA arm, no one would give up a bat. Keeping because of no market
Lucroy - unless he goes on a hot streak, who wants an aging catcher who can't defend or hit and is a rental? very little return but gets moved
Napoli - Injured. Maybe the injury is why he has sucked? unmoveable IMO
Gomez - probably not moveable after the HOU fiasco, headcase and injured
Rua - wouldn't get enough return on him to justify making the roster hole
Deshields - I think he is the most moveable part. Young, cheap, productive, but niche need so is it worth making the roster hole?
Profar - not producing much and his stock isn't very high, not much return but may be worth moving just to give him a path to play (unless Odor or Elvis gets serious interest)
Cashner or Griffin - I think one of them gets moved, but the return won't be much. Future BP arm at best
Claudio - I think if we made a deal with one of our rental or expensive guys (Yu, Lucroy, Elvis, Profar) that he could be dealt as a sweetener to increase the returns. He is the "throw in" that JD usually asks for when we are buyers.

It's highly unlikely they trade Odor. He's very young. No market for Gallo? Totally disagree. Lucroy could (and should) get traded because rentals tend to get traded for (that's why they're called rentals). Of course there's no market for Napoli. Gomez might have a little value. Rua and DeShields have zero trade value on their own, but possibly as throw-in pieces. Profar probably has some name recognition, but not much else.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Elvis is an interesting option. If we cover some of his contract he could bring back something really nice, and this would open up a spot for Profar to have his shot.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Elvis is an interesting option. If we cover some of his contract he could bring back something really nice, and this would open up a spot for Profar to have his shot.
I like that idea. Profar needs resolution before he mentally falls apart. He must have value but we will never know till he gets that shot and I would be happy also in trading Odor so as to open another spot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I think actually happens is we trade Gomez, Lucroy, Ross, and Cashner. Possibly Darvish as well. I think that all depends on if they really want to sign Darvish for 5 or 6 more years and if they think we can't do that if we trade him. If they don't want him at all after this season or if they think they can get him even if they trade him then he is gone as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for responding to the thread guys. Lots of worthy thoughts and ideas. I like other ideas from you. Been around baseball a long time and still learning mostly from board members. So we have a night off and this is a good time for discussion so keep it coming.

In the late 1960's. Kansas City offered me an invitation to try out with them. Needless to say that went nowhere. A friend ask me why I did not make it. I told him I thought I was a good player until I played with some that were. It was an education for me so when I get on my high horse and gripe about a player making an error...... instantly I remember just how good the guys really are.

Didn't mean to bore ya. Slow so thought you might appreciate a little humor.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I selfishly want to keep Elvis. He was here for the good years. Would be nice to retire his number someday. We don't have many guys who have been given that honor.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only question for me is whether we deal or attempt to re-sign Darvish. Frankly, we need to push to get a deal done before the deadline. If no, then you gotta deal him.

My suspicion is we'll trade him for some much needed and valuable assets. And honestly, I don't see us making a 100% good faith attempt in resigning him UNLESS we feel he can help us with other players.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've always felt "anyone and everyone is on the block". It's all dependent on what's coming back.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always felt "anyone and everyone is on the block". It's all dependent on what's coming back.
No one is above the dollar in big business

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one is above the dollar in big business

Too true.

I'd hate to see us move Darvish, especially to the Astros. But if they make by far the best offer for helping us long term, ya gotta do it.

I don't wanna move AB either. But I'd hope we'd put the ball, at least partially, in his court. Meaning, "Adrian, you want a WS ring? If so, let's see how we can help you do so, and help us in the process too". I don't see us being in position to challenge for a ring in AB's time left. Do you?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too true.

I'd hate to see us move Darvish, especially to the Astros. But if they make by far the best offer for helping us long term, ya gotta do it.

I don't wanna move AB either. But I'd hope we'd put the ball, at least partially, in his court. Meaning, "Adrian, you want a WS ring? If so, let's see how we can help you do so, and help us in the process too". I don't see us being in position to challenge for a ring in AB's time left. Do you?

That may largely depend on what we get in return for our pieces. Look what they did at the deadline last year and now are the best team in the AL East.