• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Buy Or Sell @ Deadline? You name it.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers will be sellers and should probably get rid of Hammels and Lucroy.

If they really wanna go all out on a selling spree, they should get decent returns for Beltre and Darvish too.

Given how depleted their farm system is and how bad their big league team is, I don't see any way they could be buyers.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue why anyone would trade for Hamels at this point.

He would get something in return. Not nearly what the Rangers traded away to get him, but he'd get something.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would get something in return. Not nearly what the Rangers traded away to get him, but he'd get something.

Gotta think we'd have to eat a chunk of salary to make it happen.

On another note, Gomez, Lucroy, Cashner, and whatever relievers JD wants to put on the block should be available. If Darvish can't be re-signed then you gotta put him on the block too. I'd ask Beltre if he wants to stay a ranger or if he has any interest in playing for a contender. If he wants to stay you keep him, but if he has interest then he should bring something nice in return.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta think we'd have to eat a chunk of salary to make it happen.

On another note, Gomez, Lucroy, Cashner, and whatever relievers JD wants to put on the block should be available. If Darvish can't be re-signed then you gotta put him on the block too. I'd ask Beltre if he wants to stay a ranger or if he has any interest in playing for a contender. If he wants to stay you keep him, but if he has interest then he should bring something nice in return.

I'd think the only people they won't part with are Elvis, Odor, Mazara, and Gallo. Everyone else is on the block if another team is interested. I do think they'll give Beltre special attention and only move him if he wants to move.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if they found interest in Hamels they should make the move. The same with Odor. Right now there could be some teams that would still like to get a player like Hamels or Odor. That may not be the case a year from now.

To me Hamels and Choo are in the same boat in that I would be willing to offer to pay a portion of their salary. With Choo it would be half of his salary or close to that probably.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do you guys think we will see the first trade if we are sellers? I will guess the 17th. I think we struggle against both the Angels and the Royals and then JD decides to sell.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do you guys think we will see the first trade if we are sellers? I will guess the 17th. I think we struggle against both the Angels and the Royals and then JD decides to sell.

Not sure JD doesn't hold out until some team becomes more anxious for a missing piece and then he may can get more value possibly

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure JD doesn't hold out until some team becomes more anxious for a missing piece and then he may can get more value possibly
The upside of trading as early as possible is that more teams are in contention thus increasing demand. Also, less trades have been made so more teams still have needs. Also, trading 2 weeks before the deadline makes the player being traded even more valuable as the team gets him for an extra 2 weeks. Hard to say exactly what JD is thinking though.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most trades would happen closer to the deadline, if I were guessing.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darvish is not being traded as indicated by JD, what does that mean?
1, Are we in to win
2. Does Darvish walk at season's end
3.Has Darvish made a commitment to resign
4.If we do not win a WC spot, do we sell and who
5.If we improve the second half, will we buy
6. Seems that Darvish is holding the key to all the questions.
7. Do you see both both buying and selling
8. Just food for thought. Weigh in and let's see if we can solve the puzzle.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Are we in to win

Tough spot to be in. The players, I'm sure, think they have what it takes. Beltre, for instance, has gone on record saying that selling would be the wrong move. But you look at the AL, and the cream of the crop is so far above the Rangers right now. Standings be damned. Personally, I don't think the Rangers have what it takes to do anything in October, and there's no moves that will get them there.

So to answer your question, yes, if they don't trade Darvish, I believe it's because they think they have a run in them. A run that I just can't visualize myself, even at my most optimistic.

It's possible. I saw on Twitter yesterday that Adam Morris thinks the market for Darvish starts at $35m/year for at least 5 years. I don't see that happening and I certainly don't want the Rangers making that commitment, despite being a huge fan of Darvish. I expect the Rangers to make an offer anywhere from $25-28m/year for 5 or 6 years. If that happens (or if they offer more), and he doesn't take it, I don't fault either side. If the Rangers offer less, or don't offer anything, then I would be pretty bothered.

3. Has Darvish made a commitment to resign

I don't know and I don't want to know. JD is on record saying Darvish prefers to handle things privately and they want to honor that preference. We don't need to know the inner-workings of this or any contract.

4. If we do not win a WC spot, do we sell and who

Selling in the off-season is harder. We have people coming off the books. I can't think of anyone really that we would "sell" in the off-season.

5. If we improve the second half, will we buy

JD might pick up a piece or two, but let's not forget - this team was already built to contend now, and things haven't worked out due to player performance regression (pretty much the entire bullpen, Perez, several in the lineup).

He's the biggest question, but there are several more.

Yes, but only in minor instances for buying.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Darvish is not being traded as indicated by JD, what does that mean?
1, Are we in to win
3.Has Darvish made a commitment to resign
4.If we do not win a WC spot, do we sell and who
5.If we improve the second half, will we buy
8. Just food for thought. Weigh in and let's see if we can solve the puzzle.
Yes, JD is in it to win and we cannot get far enough out by the deadline to change his mind barring a 12 game losing streak or something like that.

Yes, I believe Darvish walks at the end of the season. We probably lost our chance to sign him when we didn't sign him this past offseason.

No, I don't believe Darvish has any such commitment.

No, if we don't win a WC we do not become sellers. That is too late to sell.

The buying and selling is generally done before the deadline and not later on.

I think JD holds the key.

We could trade Lucroy for a reliever who might do well the rest of the season or he may not. I think JD is a buyer this year and he will be just about every year unless the season is like 2014. I suspect we will see some more prospects traded this month.

I really don't like the puzzle that JD has been constructing for the last 5 years and continues to construct. We are spinning our wheels and chasing playoff appearances instead of championships.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, JD is in it to win and we cannot get far enough out by the deadline to change his mind barring a 12 game losing streak or something like that.

Yes, I believe Darvish walks at the end of the season. We probably lost our chance to sign him when we didn't sign him this past offseason.

No, I don't believe Darvish has any such commitment.

No, if we don't win a WC we do not become sellers. That is too late to sell.

The buying and selling is generally done before the deadline and not later on.

I think JD holds the key.

We could trade Lucroy for a reliever who might do well the rest of the season or he may not. I think JD is a buyer this year and he will be just about every year unless the season is like 2014. I suspect we will see some more prospects traded this month.

I really don't like the puzzle that JD has been constructing for the last 5 years and continues to construct. We are spinning our wheels and chasing playoff appearances instead of championships.

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet......

Maybe JD thinks that he has to try and keep this team as competitive as possible until the new stadium opens because he doesn't want the team to suck when they open the new ball park. I know it's a long way off, but it might be something he's taking into consideration.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe JD thinks that he has to try and keep this team as competitive as possible until the new stadium opens because he doesn't want the team to suck when they open the new ball park. I know it's a long way off, but it might be something he's taking into consideration.
Don't think it works like that

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is exactly where this team is headed if they don't quit chasing playoff appearances and decide to take a step back so they can eventually take several steps forward.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly where this team is headed if they don't quit chasing playoff appearances and decide to take a step back so they can eventually take several steps forward.

And I agree. I was just telling you what he might be thinking. I would be selling as much as possible because of the expiring contracts and the chances of Darvish staying probably being 50-50 at best.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't pull a Mark Cuban and think he can pull off some kind of miracles in negotiations or FA and then end up left with nothing to show for it and no depth in the organization

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't pull a Mark Cuban and think he can pull off some kind of miracles in negotiations or FA and then end up left with nothing to show for it and no depth in the organization
That's funny, I just saw where Cuban was going to try and help the city of Dallas convince people to move here and I told my wife that he can't even get a free agent to play for his team so they might want to get someone else to help.