• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos vs Chargers: A Suddenly Huge Rematch

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Broncos host the San Diego Chargers this Sunday in an AFC matchup that a couple weeks ago didn't look all that compelling but now is actually a pretty big game. With a win the Chargers would even out their record at 4-4 after a 1-4 start. Their resurgence already includes a win over the Broncos so a win in this one would drop the Broncos to 5-3 with the Chargers owning tie breakers due to the sweep.

To add to it, the league built a couple interesting nuances into this series this season. Some favor the Broncos, but the more compelling ones favor the Chargers. The Chargers have the benefit of playing the Broncos on a short week in both match ups this year. In the first game, both teams were on a short week, but on TNF the home team is at a huge advantage. In this one the Broncos are coming off an appearance on MNF, so while the Chargers travel this time, the Broncos are again facing the Chargers on a short week. With that said, when teams play twice in such a short turnaround, history has shown us it is very hard for one team to sweep. Especially when the first winning team won at home.

The Broncos have an opportunity even out their AFC West record, and that's pretty darn important in a division where the last place team would probably be the winner of the AFC South if it moved. While I don't consider this a "must win" I definitely think they hurt their viability down the stretch if they let the Chargers sweep them.

More as the week progresses.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to SD it doesn't really matter what the records are between these two teams, it usually comes down to the end. You could prob go back 20 years and the final score is prob pretty close. SD has been a bigger pain in Denver's butt than probably any of the other two in that span as far as close games. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, where the stars are aligned, etc, just figure to be stressed out till game ends. That's all the " insider " knowledge you need. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to SD it doesn't really matter what the records are between these two teams, it usually comes down to the end. You could prob go back 20 years and the final score is prob pretty close. SD has been a bigger pain in Denver's butt than probably any of the other two in that span as far as close games. Doesn't matter what the circumstances are, where the stars are aligned, etc, just figure to be stressed out till game ends. That's all the " insider " knowledge you need. :)

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More of the same post to follow...:)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things I want to see this game...

1) Run the football early and often! Every single game this year we have come out throwing to start the game. I know you want to get the young QB into a rhythm early on but I think in almost every game this year we have started out losing. Time for that young QB to not need those early throws to get into a rhythm but allow the offense to keep a team guessing what is coming.

2) With the run game we saw some major changes to what the Broncos were doing. They finally ran that zone toss play that TD was so famous for. It gets a defense moving sideways instead of being able to attack and opens up a lot more holes for the RB to choose from.

3) Attack the middle of the field. I know this is why we brought in this new TE as it is an area that has been completely ignored. If you look at the passing chart of this last game there were only 2 true throws between the tackles. Both of them were within 10 yards of the LOS. Even if this new kid isn't ready to go in this game you have to get Virgil Green or one of the WR's over the middle going. Teams are keying towards the outside way too much.

Honestly I mostly trust our defense to keep the Chargers under control. It is a matter of can our offense actually contribute this game and not wait until the 4th quarter again to show up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things I want to see this game...

1) Run the football early and often! Every single game this year we have come out throwing to start the game. I know you want to get the young QB into a rhythm early on but I think in almost every game this year we have started out losing. Time for that young QB to not need those early throws to get into a rhythm but allow the offense to keep a team guessing what is coming.

2) With the run game we saw some major changes to what the Broncos were doing. They finally ran that zone toss play that TD was so famous for. It gets a defense moving sideways instead of being able to attack and opens up a lot more holes for the RB to choose from.

3) Attack the middle of the field. I know this is why we brought in this new TE as it is an area that has been completely ignored. If you look at the passing chart of this last game there were only 2 true throws between the tackles. Both of them were within 10 yards of the LOS. Even if this new kid isn't ready to go in this game you have to get Virgil Green or one of the WR's over the middle going. Teams are keying towards the outside way too much.

Honestly I mostly trust our defense to keep the Chargers under control. It is a matter of can our offense actually contribute this game and not wait until the 4th quarter again to show up.

SD's play of late has made this a very interesting game.

DEN has the pass rush to make it a tough day for Rivers, but the Chargers are playing with a little bit of confidence...they should've gotten plowed in ATL last week, but they kept plugging away and ATL got a tad conservative...Bosa is a legit edge threat.

I can't see DEN getting swept by SD, but this should be a good game to watch...with the Steelers on a bye...I expect to watch some of this one.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SD's play of late has made this a very interesting game.

DEN has the pass rush to make it a tough day for Rivers, but the Chargers are playing with a little bit of confidence...they should've gotten plowed in ATL last week, but they kept plugging away and ATL got a tad conservative...Bosa is a legit edge threat.

I can't see DEN getting swept by SD, but this should be a good game to watch...with the Steelers on a bye...I expect to watch some of this one.

It definitely looks like a much better game than 2 weeks ago. I and others on here have said that the Chargers have looked like the 2nd best team in the AFC West even before this winning streak. They have been impressive for all but the last 5 minutes of most games this year. Easily could be a 6-1 type team right now if not for some very unlucky breaks and just weird things happening to them. You factor in how many players are on IR already and the fact that they keep fighting like they are I am one that is impressed. So definitely don't view this as an easy win.

I will say I am predicting a double digit win in this one just because I do think home field, healthy QB, and this team feeling embarrassed after the last loss will have the Broncos highly focused in this one. They know they cannot lose this one with such a tight race in the AFC West and especially after being 0-1 in the division already.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
uh oh... CJ Anderson getting a second opinion on his knee. Could miss sometime. Injured it first quarter and managed to play rest of game on knee.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah heard about Anderson's possible knee issue. Stinks to see our run game really get going and now might have another set back. Seems to be the norm this year as our run game looked good early then a couple of injuries and moving players around really set it back then get it back on track and maybe lose our best RB. Thankfully Booker has looked incredible just a matter of might not have the 1-2 punch.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The really great news of the day is that DeMarcus Ware could potentially be playing this Sunday. He practiced today and Kubiak really liked what he saw.

They are thinking right now at least a few weeks of Anderson being out and the 2nd opinion is to make sure it isn't longer.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hoping the reports are true that it is a bone bruise to his knee. IF that is the case then it is more about pain management and maybe just a week or two of rest if it is really bad.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stat for the day...

People forget but 4 of our 7 games so far this year have been against top-5 scoring offenses in the NFL. The only team in the top-5 we haven't played is New Orleans and well we will be playing them soon enough. So while our points per game stat might not be looking much better than last year you just have to look at the quality of opponent we have faced.

In the 3 games going against teams outside the top-5 we have held them to 11 points per game. So we should see a very nice jump in the points per game given up stat as the season progresses since we go from playing top-5 teams to playing teams like Jacksonville and Tennessee.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bibbs made the team for a reason ..Next man up

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bibbs made the team for a reason ..Next man up

I actually have liked what I have seen in Bibbs on his limited carries. Averaging over 5 yards per carry and has greatly improved his pass blocking. So while there is definitely a drop off from Anderson to Bibbs I still like our RB group. Booker has a chance to really establish himself as a star. I love the spark he brings now just need to see him in that featured role be consistent throughout the game.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Denver Police have caught the 2 men who robbed DeMarcus Ware this weekend and have recovered the stolen merchandise. Good to hear.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it makes sense why CJ dissed Bibbs on the td. Bad knee. Anyway, absolutely going to miss CJ but very confident in the stable behind him especially with Booker getting more reps and getting the nice " eye candy " we needed for confidence. Now let's also remember that Houston D isn't exactly the same nowadays and although the O line played good, were going to need to see them prove they can open holes and pass protect vs stronger comp going forward as well. Houston game was expected IMO. Let's see how they help Booker and co. going forward. I hope the Houston game was good sign their starting to gel. SD should be could test.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now it makes sense why CJ dissed Bibbs on the td. Bad knee. Anyway, absolutely going to miss CJ but very confident in the stable behind him especially with Booker getting more reps and getting the nice " eye candy " we needed for confidence. Now let's also remember that Houston D isn't exactly the same nowadays and although the O line played good, were going to need to see them prove they can open holes and pass protect vs stronger comp going forward as well. Houston game was expected IMO. Let's see how they help Booker and co. going forward. I hope the Houston game was good sign their starting to gel. SD should be could test.

Thankfully for the Broncos they only play 2 more teams with top-10 rushing defenses in the Chargers and Titans. After that it really does look like a pretty favorable schedule for the running game until the playoffs. Even there though every AFC team in the Top-10 most likely will miss the playoffs so Broncos could really catch fire with the right mix of strong run game and good defense. Way too early to be talking like that but I do think that 11-day break for this team made a world of difference. I saw plays that we haven't see this year or hardly ran. I saw the coaches being much more creative on both sides of the ball mixing things in.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully for the Broncos they only play 2 more teams with top-10 rushing defenses in the Chargers and Titans. After that it really does look like a pretty favorable schedule for the running game until the playoffs. Even there though every AFC team in the Top-10 most likely will miss the playoffs so Broncos could really catch fire with the right mix of strong run game and good defense. Way too early to be talking like that but I do think that 11-day break for this team made a world of difference. I saw plays that we haven't see this year or hardly ran. I saw the coaches being much more creative on both sides of the ball mixing things in.

I saw, finally, a mostly cohesive offensive line. Pass game still needs to get continuity but if we can continue to block and run and not turn it over, with this defense, we are as good as any team.