• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2015 Game by Game Predictions

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has been a busy week with much prognosticating on the heels of the Clady injury. When I read about the injury my reaction was to lament the loss of the best LT in the game, but after a review of some of the stats and some reminders of Clady's weaknesses in some areas of play throughout 2014, I have to admit I was far from right on that claim. With that said, it's still a major blow. Clady likely would have thrived in Kubiak's system. Remember, it was Shanahan who drafted him into the ZBS in the first place. But thinking about what could have been is not going to bring him back. I'm willing to consider what can still be.

It's a fair critique to say this offensive line will be the team's greatest weakness in 2015. At least from where we sit now it is. Then there's the coaching changes, system changes, loss of players, additions of new faces to replace them, etc. All told, the Broncos do not look to be a media favorite for the Super Bowl this year. That's fine with me. I believe the Broncos will actually be fourth or fifth down the list even within the AFC (Patriots and Colts will be the favorites, with the Steelers and Ravens being trendy picks in greater numbers than the Broncos in 2015) and THIS is fine with me. Because despite all the changes, I believe this Broncos team is as strong a team as they've assembled. Couple with a new DC who actually believes in aggressive defense and an HC whose departure from our OC position after the 2005 season spelled the beginning of the end for the Shanahan era and I believe this is a Broncos squat that will once again run rough shod over the AFC West. And once they reach the playoffs there is no telling what will happen. Suffice to say the current regime will not likely allow this team to look as passive and disinterested as their predecessors.

So how will it all go down? Let's have a look, shall we?

Week 1: Vs Ravens: The Broncos get a gut check right out of the gate. Both Wade Phillips new look defense and the Broncos new-look O-line are going to get tested in this one. The Ravens have proven themselves to be a very resilient and capable team. But this new-look Broncos team is going to be eager to get out the gate fast and start with a home win. Broncos gut it out early and pull away late as their offense adjust and the defense is relentless. Broncos 28, Ravens 17. Broncos 1-0.

Week 2: @ Chiefs (TNF): This is a tough out. Drawing the Chiefs for their home opener, combined with our first roadie, and on a short week...that's a tough spot to be in. The Broncos have owned the Chiefs in the Fox era, with a 7-1 record and 6-0 with Manning. But streaks are made to be broken, and this Chiefs team is capable of beating anyone any given week. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as I often do in KC. Chiefs 24, Broncos 21. Broncos 1-1. (Cue the echoes of Chiefs fans: "This is our year! Broncos are done!)

Week 3: @ Lions (SNF): The last couple times the Broncos have played the Lions it has ended in very lop-sided losses for the good guys. Try 44-7 in 2007 and 45-10 in 2010. But this Broncos team will be coming off a close loss and will have 10 days to prepare for this one. I don't see them dropping two consecutive prime time games, either. Broncos 31, Lions 17. Broncos 2-1.

Week 4: Vs Vikings: The Broncos are just better. By a long shot. Even if Adrian Peterson is playing for the Vikings, the Broncos are better. Broncos 31, Vikings 3. Broncos 3-1.

Week 5: @ Raiders: The Broncos meet up with an old friend in Jack Del Rio, who would be the second former Broncos DC the Raiders have hired for their HC (interim positions excluded). The Raiders showed some grit in an ugly season last year, and I expect that will continue, at least at this point in the season. But they are going to be woefully overmatched in this one. The Broncos take one on the road as the defense shines. Broncos 35, Raiders 10. Broncos 4-1.

Week 6: @ Browns: The Broncos are going to blank someone this year. They're due. And with this defense...it's going to happen to someone. Probably the Browns. Broncos 28, Browns 0. Broncos 5-1.

Week 7: Bye.

Week 8: Vs Packers (SNF): The Broncos and Packers alike are coming off a bye week, and this one is going to have the defense's hands full. The key will be this: get a lead and get it fast. Aaron Rodgers is a good QB, but he's not a great come from behind kind of QB. A home prime time game bodes well for this Broncos team that is rolling steady at this point. Broncos 35, Packers 27. Broncos 6-1.

Week 9: @ Colts: There is no amount of beating the Colts in the regular season that will make up for that uninspired home playoff loss last season. But a win here will go a long way toward excising some demons. Especially against a team that is likely going to be contending for a first round playoff bye. It's going to be a close one, but the Broncos edge the Colts. Broncos 24, Colts 23. Broncos 7-1.

Week 10: Vs Chiefs: The Chiefs come into this one off a bye. I guess the schedule makes decided they needed all the help they could get. It won't be enough. The Chiefs will have already booked a win over the Broncos in week 2, but this one won't be close. I do respect their defense, but I believe the Broncos defense will corral the Chiefs offense to the point of near-futility. Broncos 28, Chiefs 7. Broncos 8-1.

Week 11: @ Bears: Once again the Broncos will reunite with an old friend. I'm talking about Fox, not Cutler. There's no guarantee Cutler will even be playing by this point. He's had problems with injuries lately, and when he's not injured he's throwing picks all the way to being benched. Still Fox will likely pull out all the stops in this one. And he'll need to. And it won't be enough. Broncos 27, Bears 13. Broncos 9-1.

Week 12: Vs Patriots (SNF): Much will be made of "Manning vs Brady" again. That's a tiresome dialogue, especially when collectively these two teams have 104 other players and the only time Manning and Brady are on the field together is during the coin toss and post-game handshake. The Broncos are 1-3 vs the Patriots since Manning arrived. The single win? In the playoffs. And in Denver. Make of that what you will. Broncos 34, Patriots 30. Broncos 10-1.

Week 13: @ Chargers: The Chargers offense looks like it is going to be pretty good, but I still question how good their defense will be. I think their offense will be able to run, and Rivers can pass with anyone. But with the upgrades on the Broncos defense I think they'll be able to rattle Rivers early and often and force mistakes. And that Chargers offense just won't be able to contain the Broncos through the whole game. Broncos 31, Chargers 24. Broncos 11-1.

Week 14: Vs Raiders: The Broncos will likely have already clinched the AFC West by now, or will do so with a win over the Raiders. The Raiders will be en route to another losing season. Broncos 37, Raiders 13. Broncos 12-1.

Week 15: @ Steelers: The Steelers are a solid team the Broncos are due for a letdown. A late road game in Pittsburgh is a likely candidate for that letdown. Steelers 27, Broncos 17. Broncos 12-2.

Week 16: Vs Bengals (MNF): Another late MNF matchup between these teams. The Broncos let one get away from them last year, but coming off a loss to the Steelers they will rebound in this one. Playoff seeds are on the line and while the Broncos are likely going to be ahead of the pack at this point, they will have plenty of competition breathing down their necks. The Bengals are good enough to be some of that competition, but not good enough to beat the Broncos in Denver on MNF. Broncos 27, Bengals 10. Broncos 13-2.

Week 17: Vs Chargers: Whether the Broncos have locked in the #1 seed already or not is irrelevant. They win this one. Either they need the win to lock in the seed or they need the win to deny the Chargers a playoff spot. If the Broncos have already locked in the seed but resting starters means allowing the Chargers a shot at getting into the playoffs, I see them going full bore. The Chargers are a feisty team and it's in the Broncos best interests to keep them out of the playoffs. Broncos 31, Chargers 13. Broncos 14-2.

Yes, I said it: Broncos 14-2. But that doesn't mean I'm a Broncos homer. I see a schedule that favors this team, though. Last season the Broncos drew some of their tougher games (Patriots, Seahawks) on the road, while the Chiefs got those teams at home. This year the Broncos toughest road games are at Kansas City and Pittsburg, while their toughest games are home games. That helps.

Also, notice the point totals are down. Broncos PF: 465, PA: 258. While I am picking a finish of 14-2, I am not predicting the Broncos go out and bludgeon too many of their opponents the way I may have last year. This offense will likely be lower scoring, but the defense is where this team is most improved. Mark it: This is a better Broncos team than any of the 2012-2014 teams. Even if it isn't going to be as gaudy and flashy on offense.

I do think Manning breaks 4,000 yards again, throwing for 35 TDs and 10 picks, while C.J. Anderson breaks 1,200 rushing yards and adds 10 TDs. The other RBs will combine to put the Broncos over 2,000 rushing yards for the season which will take the pressure off of Manning. Working on offensive balance will be something the Broncos stress over the summer instead of trying to adjust halfway through the season.

Finally, what does 14-2 get the Broncos? Here are my AFC West projections and playoff seeds:

Broncos: 14-2
Chiefs: 12-4
Chargers: 9-7
Raiders: 4-12

Playoff seeds:

1. Broncos: 14-2
2. Colts: 13-3
3. Patriots: 12-4
4. Steelers: 10-6
5. Chiefs: 12-4
6. Ravens: 10-6

Your thoughts?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up iknowftbll. I appreciate all the thoughts. This season honestly reminds me of 2012 in the sense of I have no clue what to expect. I remember most that season expected Manning to be a shell of his former self plus the Broncos supposedly having one of the toughest schedules heading in at least to the media meant doom for the Broncos. Obviously other than some ridiculous plays happening in the playoffs that team surprised quite a few people. I think the same will happen with this one. I like the idea of playing underdog. So much pressure last year and I think you could see it with the players in they just played so tight all year. They didn't look like they were enjoying it. From what I understand practices this year have been sped up, the coaching staff has a lot more fire, and the players at least from what I have heard are joking around a lot more than last year.

I know many criticize Elway for firing a coach that had won so many games with Fox but for us Bronco fans I think it was pretty obvious that it had to happen. We had become very predictable as a team and there just was no fire. Fox was great for getting us back to relevant but he just isn't the type of coach that gets you to the Super Bowl victory. Now whether Kubiak is that type of coach we shall see. He definitely has his most talented team he has ever had and has a great coaching staff around him.

Anyway I just cannot wait for actual Training Camp to start and these guys to put on the pads. The new offense is one that I am actually looking very much forward to. They are working on Manning under Center and this definitely opens up a whole new playbook for this offense to keep defenses guessing. This should help an OL that could be very young and inexperienced.

As for my thoughts on record. I honestly want to see a bit of training camp and maybe a preseason game or two before I start getting too excited. I do think this team has the potential though to reach that 14-2 mark you are talking about. The talent is definitely there. It is just a matter of did we find the right coaching staff to harness that talent?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly it surprises me that I went with 14-2. I was initially thinking 12-4 but when I really thought hard about if the Broncos will win week to week I think they are 1) the stronger team any given week and 2) draw their two hardest games at home. NOTE: All this is based on where we sit now, of course. A lot will change as the season draws closer, begins, progresses, etc.

I should also note I always make these predictions based on what I consider best case scenario. So in other words, I'm saying this team is as good as 14-2. I'd put a worst case at 11-5. Maybe even 10-6 if the offense doesn't adjust well. Then again, I think this defense is going to be so dominant that it will carry the team through the rough patches.

Finally, I'll reiterate: While 14-2 may seem like a generous pick: Notice my point totals are down. I think my prediction does reflect the changes the team has made and accounts for that. But they are still better than many of the opponents on their schedule.

We'll see. Thanks for your comments.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the issue is so many in the media can't see past Peyton Manning to the rest of the roster. They see that if Manning has a down year compared to the last few then that must mean doom for the Broncos. Even with an incompetent DC our defense still finished what top-5? Wade Phillips and everything I keep hearing of what they are doing at practice makes me think we might see one of the best defenses the Broncos have ever had. The talent is for sure there. Now just a matter of maximizing it. That was Del Rio's issue in he kept trying to make square pegs fit into round holes. Such as playing Talib in off-man or off zone on a speed receiver. It takes away his best skill in being able to throw off timing and routes with his press-man skills. Or having Von drop back into coverage on 3rd down and long. While he is ok in coverage obviously his best skill set is getting after the quarterback.

I agree the biggest thing will be that this defense will dominate. The offense will be able to play a bit more ball control which like you said could mean less actual points on the board but could mean a better overall offense as teams will have to respect both the run and pass game. To me points per game is not the best stat to see how an offense is doing. I would say points per drive is a much better indicator.

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man ikf, that is a rosy picture. I wish I had your positive outlook. I just see too many question marks to see us going 14-2.

I think the Broncos could be one of the better teams by the time the playoffs start, but I think it will be a tough first half of the season because of all the changes, especially with the O-line. And no one really knows how good or bad they will be in the new zbs. They could end up being great or they could end up being below average. There is just so little continuity now from 2014. We shall see. Fingers crossed. Plus, we will have to see how Manning does from under center behind this line. That is another adjustment.

As for the defense, I completely agree with you. They will likely carry this team. They will also have to adjust to a new system and a new staff, which could result in some early growing pains, but those will be positive changes. They could end up being the best defense in 2015, and I think they will be at least Top 5. Wade Philips is going to have a field day with this talent. I can't wait to see them play.

I won't dismiss the 14-2 prediction outright, but to me 11-5 seems more likely, and I would be completely happy with that. Hell, I would be happy with 9-7 and a 6th seed, because come playoff time this will be a completely different team from last year. Just gotta get into the playoffs...and hope that our O-line has coalesced into a solid unit.

Now, no more major injuries. Cross all your fingers and toes. :hope:

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Keep in mind every opponent on the Broncos schedule has question marks as well. Especially in the early part of the schedule. I gave the Chiefs the benefit of the doubt for the reasons I laid out, but they certainly have their questions as well. For example, the consensus is that by adding Maclin they have greatly upgraded their WR corps. That may be true, but Maclin is best as a down field threat, and the Chiefs don't pass deep often enough to really utilize Maclin where he is most advantageous. Even if they dial up a deep ball, Smith won't pull the trigger on it unless he feels he has a 95% or greater chance for the play to succeed. Not to mention their O-line still has dozens of question marks. And that's a team I consider the greatest threat in the AFC West.

Even with the questions around the O-line the Broncos are better than the other teams on the early slate. By the time they get through the bye they should have some offensive rhythm going and be ready to gut out the remainder of the schedule. People are quick to point out how change can spell disaster in the NFL. It just as often creates a team that catches everyone off guard because opponents aren't sure what to expect. Even McD's Broncos with Kyle Orton at the helm got out to a 6-0 start. I think we can agree the Broncos of 2015 from coaches to water boys are better than the team from that season.

grim rpr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly appreciate all of that insight as it obviously took some great thought and time to write !! I agree with most everything you said and keeping my fingers crossed that you are correct !!

I do think CJ will run for at least 13 touchdowns this year as it will be more focused on the run than the past years and imo he is the perfect fit for this offense..

Manning will have a good year and I agree with your stats there

Again thanks for the insight.. I really hope I get to see Von, Ware and Ray out there together as I see hinted in recent news

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all of the Broncos question marks turn out in their favor, I could see them reaching 14-2. However, I find it more likely that they'll hit some struggles along the way.

My way too early prediction is they go 12-4, with losses at Detroit (I don't know why, but this game really scares me), Indy (they just seem to have our number), San Diego (the only AFC West team to beat us with Manning, and they have a knack for playing us tight), and Pittsburgh.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never predict anything this early. Too many unknown variables in June. Biggest unknown are injuries and who gets hurt.

I'm one of those guys who wants to see if Peyton Manning can rebound or if he's coming to the end of his career. He was not looking good at all at the end of 2014 and my guyt says that father time is catching up with him and playing in the NFL for 16 years takes a toll. I keep watching Tom Brady to see if anything indicates that he might start to slow down. He's taken a lot more heavy hits in his career than Manning but seems to hold up somehow.

The Broncos/Patriots has already been circled on my calendar. The Pats always have a difficult time playing at Denver and the last couple of times we haven't been at full strength. I'm not making excuses or downgrading the Bronco wins. Would like to see both teams with full rosters and playing great football in what could be the possible last meeting of the two greatest quarterbacks of our generation.

Some of us Patriots fans are trying to see if we can get a weekend deal lined up for the game where we can get to Denver, get a good hotel room and find a top notch Bar/Grill/Restaurant tyo watch the game and see if we can find some online Bronco fans to meet up with. Keep watching here and in the Pats board.........We'd like suggestions and ideas.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would never predict anything this early. Too many unknown variables in June. Biggest unknown are injuries and who gets hurt.

I'm one of those guys who wants to see if Peyton Manning can rebound or if he's coming to the end of his career. He was not looking good at all at the end of 2014 and my guyt says that father time is catching up with him and playing in the NFL for 16 years takes a toll. I keep watching Tom Brady to see if anything indicates that he might start to slow down. He's taken a lot more heavy hits in his career than Manning but seems to hold up somehow.

The Broncos/Patriots has already been circled on my calendar. The Pats always have a difficult time playing at Denver and the last couple of times we haven't been at full strength. I'm not making excuses or downgrading the Bronco wins. Would like to see both teams with full rosters and playing great football in what could be the possible last meeting of the two greatest quarterbacks of our generation.

Some of us Patriots fans are trying to see if we can get a weekend deal lined up for the game where we can get to Denver, get a good hotel room and find a top notch Bar/Grill/Restaurant tyo watch the game and see if we can find some online Bronco fans to meet up with. Keep watching here and in the Pats board.........We'd like suggestions and ideas.

You are right it is way too early but not much else to talk about right now. OTA's can make for some good conversation but they still haven't put on the pads so again not a ton to talk about. Lot's of players can look good in shorts and every team has lots of optimism heading into the year that this is their year.

As for Manning there is definitely some concern health wise. I will say his quad injury was a lot more serious than was let on during the season. Manning's game right now depends on his legs to generate his power and consistency. When he loses those he loses a big chunk of his game. He has healed up and spent the entire off season working with one of the top trainers in the country. I like his chances to rebound for one more good year.

More than that though Bronco fans are most excited about our defense. Many of us for years have been saying since we drafted Von Miller that the 3-4 defense was a much better fit for him and many of our other players like Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe. Throw in getting Wade Phillips that loves to play aggressively on defense and it has many of us Bronco fans being reminded of the "Orange Crush" days where defense is what won us games. No more of needing Manning to put up 35 a game for us to win.

As for places in Denver to go I will warn you if you show up in Patriot gear during the Bronco/Patriot game you will get ridiculed/mocked. Just going to be part of the experience especially if you are wanting to go to a bar where there is drinking. Now having said that there are some places I have heard good things about. Jackson's is one I have heard some talk about and the food has won a ton of awards. So if nothing else you will at least get a good meal out of it. Another is called Sports Column. It is right next to Coors field and has been voted as the #1 Sports Bar in Denver.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If all of the Broncos question marks turn out in their favor, I could see them reaching 14-2. However, I find it more likely that they'll hit some struggles along the way.

My way too early prediction is they go 12-4, with losses at Detroit (I don't know why, but this game really scares me), Indy (they just seem to have our number), San Diego (the only AFC West team to beat us with Manning, and they have a knack for playing us tight), and Pittsburgh.

Initially I had a record of 12-4 and had similar losses. @ Chiefs, @ Colts, @ Steelers, and vs Chargers. When really considering the Broncos vs any given opponent I not only considered the Broncos weaknesses but those of our opponents as well. Like I said above, EVERY team has its questions.

@ BigKen, I realize it's early. I do this every year around this time just to have something to talk about. I usually try to get it out right after the draft, but I've been slacking the last couple years.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Initially I had a record of 12-4 and had similar losses. @ Chiefs, @ Colts, @ Steelers, and vs Chargers. When really considering the Broncos vs any given opponent I not only considered the Broncos weaknesses but those of our opponents as well. Like I said above, EVERY team has its questions.

@ BigKen, I realize it's early. I do this every year around this time just to have something to talk about. I usually try to get it out right after the draft, but I've been slacking the last couple years.

Well even if it is early looking at your predictions for last year you were actually spot on record wise. You predicted 12-4 and got 2 of the 4 losses right in Seattle and New England. You also got 5 of the 6 playoff teams right with the Chargers being the only one in that you got wrong (you had the AFC North having 2 teams in between the 3 that actually made it in).

Also would just like to point out that my first post on that one I said that I didn't think the Chargers would go 11-5 like you did and they would be 9-7 and that we would lay a stinker against St. Louis. I did get wrong though that we would beat Seattle.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anybody would like to take a look back at last year's thread like this here you go...

The 2014 Broncos: Schedule and Predictions | SportsHoopla.com Sports Forums

I for some reason was very good at predicting what the Chargers would do. I said they would go 7-4 to start the season and 2-3 to close out the season. Both of those were true.

As for this year I haven't quite decided. I will maybe give my complete prediction for the division and playoffs later this week.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was on the fence between the Chargers and the Chiefs for a while, but between their lack of reliable defense and really not knowing how good their offense will be week to week I've concluded the Chiefs to be the better team. And obviously I think the Chiefs are going to be pretty darn good this year because I'm giving them 12-4. That's probably a bit generous because Reid will cost them a win or two with his coaching, but just like with the Broncos I'm predicting best case scenarios for the Chiefs too.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe all the faith in Chiefs having a 10 + win record. There still just a Charles first, yr older in the tooth D, Alex Smith same team as last yr. No significant help at wr unless you think Macklin addition and Bowe loss is huge upgrade. I'll go on record right now and say KC will be lucky to win 9 games and they have a 1-5 div record this yr and their offense beats out only Cleveland and Buffalo in total points scored on season. If Charles were to go down early in season, their odds for top 5 pk in draft would be a sure bet.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Like I said, I consider it best case scenario. They have a defense that can be great in 2015. They were pretty solid last year, despite some injuries that cost them against the run. Imagine if they stay healthy this go-around. They have a front 7 that honestly could be the best in the league. Top-5 without question. The secondary is pretty solid as well.

On offense nobody is going to accuse them of being the 2013 Broncos. But even in a year where the Chiefs failed to get a single TD pass to a WR, Alex Smith still had 18 TD passes. TEs Kelce and Fasano are legitimate threats in the passing game, and you can never forget about Jamaal Charles. He's got a few nicks and bruises, but he's still a very dangerous back and receiving threat when healthy. Combine with the additions at WR, and I think they will have a more complete offense than last year. Don't get me wrong: The addition of Maclin makes sense from a coaching perspective, but not a player perspective. Maclin is a deep threat, and Alex Smith won't throw deep unless he's absolutely certain he'll succeed on the play or at worst, throw an incompletion. It'll take a big shift in his mentality for Maclin to be a consistently major contributor. But like I keep saying: Best case scenario.

No outcome will surprise me. I could see the Broncos as low as 11-5 (which I would still consider a good season) and the Chiefs and Chargers at 8-8. What if the Raiders turn out to be further ahead than we thought? Could they break out this year? It's possible. But for right now, I think the Chiefs are good enough to reach 12-4, which is still behind the Broncos best case scenario from where I sit.

On another note, I gave them the benefit of the doubt last year in terms of splitting with the Bronocs and the Broncos went into Kansas City and turned in one of their more dominant defensive performances of the season. That game was a thing of beauty but it also pissed me off at JDR because that was the defense we thought we were getting all season. After seeing how effective it was against a good team in their house, he put it back on the shelf and we didn't see it again the rest of the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so my thoughts on division and AFC...

First off with our division. I honestly think the Chiefs take a step back this year. My biggest reason why is the OL. They have taken a huge step back with losing Hudson to the Raiders. Grubbs helps a little but at this point they might have the worst OL in football. One of the reporters at their OTA practice the other day made the comment "Eric Fisher was moved back to the LT spot...On an unrelated note Alex Smith was under constant pressure during practice today." Next for the Chiefs is while Maclin in actual skill set is better than Bowe he is about as bad a fit for this offensive scheme as there is. In fact with Reid as his coach he never was able to get over 1,000 yards in a season because Reid is just not big on pushing the ball down the field. He is a ball control coach. When you throw in the OL issues this team will not be able to take advantage of what Maclin is best at. Throw in then this also means Charles is once again going to have a tough time running behind this OL. While he went over a thousand yards this past year he had one of his worst years as a pro in terms of yards per carry.

If the Chiefs are to be good this year it will be because of the defense. It has to have some Chiefs fans worried though in Houston has threatened to hold out into the season if that is what it takes. If he is not on the field they go from top-5 possible defense to middle of the pack real quickly. Johnson being back should help but he is 32 and coming off an Achilles injury. Have to wonder how much longer he can be effective. I do like their Corner group but the safety group is pretty average. I would also say DL wise 2 of the 3 starters are pretty darn good but the depth is pretty weak. They definitely need some luck health wise as depth wise I am not impressed.

Right now I honestly have the Chiefs at 8-8

Now onto Oakland. I did like some of their moves and others just left me going "Thank you Lord they are still the Raiders!" The two best signings for them were Hudson and Dan Williams. Both are good players that will give them quality snaps. Beyond those two in FA though the rest are guys that are honestly a liability and yet they paid them like they were all-stars. Curtis Lofton and Nate Allen especially are the guys that are not going to be fun to watch if you are a Raider fan. As for the draft Cooper was a pretty easy choice (although I would have taken the kid from USC but that is just me). It gives Carr a weapon to grow with and just see if Carr is really the future. The rest of the draft was hit and miss in my opinion. I did like the selection of Ben Heeney as I think he is underrated (as most KU players are because of how bad the team is) and Max Valles was another. The rest we shall see. Walford and Edwards were pretty boom or bust types as Walford was said to have a terrible attitude in interviews and some teams took him completely off their board. Edwards has the label of being talented but very lazy and can't control his weight. The biggest question I am starting to have though about the Raiders is the health of Carr. From what I understand his finger injury is more serious than some thought and from what I understand some think this won't just go away. The fact that it is on his throwing hand just makes it that much worse. Throw in last season he went down in a few different games with injuries. So we shall see if he can continue to hold up to all that the NFL throws at him. Also his numbers his rookie year were pretty mediocre. He was like Alex Smith in never threw beyond 5 yards. His stats actually say he had a worst first year starting than that of JaMarcus Russell if you can believe it.

6-10...I do think they have made some decent moves that have them going in the right direction but they still have a long ways to go and they still continue to overpay for mediocre talent. Plus Del Rio isn't a guy that I would get too excited about as HC.

Ok so that leaves San Diego. I know I am getting long-winded but hey nothing much else to talk about right now right? San Diego is the only team I think can really threaten the Broncos. They have the perfect scheme that can actually make life very difficult on Peyton Manning and that is the run the football over and over again shortening the game. I do think San Diego has the best OL in the AFC West and now with Gordon they have really committed to giving the run game every chance to be successful. This also should help to take some of the pressure off of the defense. Defensively they are a pretty average group but I think they can be one that can make plays when they need to. They have some very very good players on defense with guys like Liuget, Weddle, Flowers, and Verrett. At the same time they have some major weaknesses such as at NT in Lissemore and Reyes at DE. Just have to run away from Liuget. They also lack a consistent pass rush unless Attaochu all of a sudden has a huge leap this year. I think this defense will most likely be middle of the pack though which is why I think the Broncos have the big edge in they should be top-10 on both offense and defense once again.

10-6 for the Chargers. I do think they make the playoffs this year and will be one team nobody really wants to play as they are one that is more built for the playoffs than for early on in the season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the rest of the AFC...

AFC East--I see this being a two-horse race between Miami and New England. I still give New England the best shot as having BB still should help them at least stay afloat with Brady suspended. I think they go 11-5 this year. I don't think they are as strong though this year as that secondary looks very suspect and I think they will struggle against teams with better QB's.

11-5 New England
10-6 Miami

AFC South--Unless something crazy happens like Andrew Luck going down with injury this is maybe the easiest division in the league to pick the winner. Indy runs away with this one I think winning the division by 4 games. They go 12-4 and have the 2 seed in the playoffs behind the Broncos.

AFC North--Now as easy as the South was the North is about as tough to pick as any division. There are 3 legit teams here. Unfortunately for them I think they end up beating up on each other making it where only 1 team makes the playoffs from this division. I'm going to go with Baltimore as I see them the most balanced on both sides of the ball of any of the teams. I could see Pittsburgh though if they have even a mediocre defense being one of the toughest teams in football as I do think they will have the top offense in football this year.

Baltimore 10-6
Pittsburgh 9-7
Cincinnati 9-7

So the playoffs look...

Denver-13-3
Indy-12-4
New England 11-5
Baltimore 10-6
San Diego 10-6
Miami 10-6

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks pretty good CD but even without Bell for 4 gms I think Steelers win North div. I also think with the tough D`s NE is going to face in the East and a brutal schedule, they lose out to Miami. I`d flop those two or tie. With Denver.I`am going to shoot for 14-2 or 12-4 cause I hate 13-3 anymore:). I agree also SD will prob win 10 but will lose out to a North and East team for a PO spot. Either NE or Cincy. I think Dalton gets a PO win this yr. South is easy like you said and there won`t be any comp for Indy. They should finish at 12 wins or better if Gore and the running game materialize like I expect it will if that O-line is improved. AJ is going to be looking to show the world ( and Houston) he`s still a badass and along with Hilton....scary. I think we have a better D and coaching this yr to hand them some payback though. Going to be fun alright!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the rest of the AFC...

AFC East--I see this being a two-horse race between Miami and New England. I still give New England the best shot as having BB still should help them at least stay afloat with Brady suspended. I think they go 11-5 this year. I don't think they are as strong though this year as that secondary looks very suspect

I would not count out the NE secondary just yet.....
OTA observations: After a rough start, Tom Brady finishes strong - Sports - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI
"The defense had a field day, coming up with six interceptions, including picks by defensive backs Devin McCourty, Tavon Wilson, Jimmy Jean, Bradley Fletcher and Duron Harmon."