• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

BREAKING: Paul Allen reported to be done negotiating with Kam

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much dead money do we get hit with if he's traded next off season assuming his contract year rolls over this season?

NM, looked it up. We'd still get hit with 2m dead money if he's cleared before june first.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players know the business side better than we do. He's one year in on a four year deal. They all know the bind he's putting the team in. Every last one of them. If he had two years left he'd have a lot more player support and if there was one year left probably nearly every player. But 3? They get it. The team really can't give him what he wants and they know why. IF there is resentment it will be because they understand it so well. I think a few will support him, and many will not. It's divisive. And that's not going to help things when he does return to that locker room.

The fans are mad at him. But I don't think his teammates really have much sympathy for the team and their cap agenda.

FWIW, here's an excerpt from an mmqb article on the subject.

• No, Kam Chancellor is not “letting down his teammates.” It may look like that on the field, especially when his backup gives up a touchdown that ties a game against a division rival and sends it to overtime. But most NFL players I’ve spoken to and all of the Seahawks I chatted with Sunday afternoon in the visitors locker room are both publicly and privately behind Chancellor. This is especially true of teammates who also come from poverty. “Can’t say it enough—this is a business,” one player told me. “The team doesn’t honor the contract when you get hurt, so why should you play for less than you’re worth?”

In Defense of Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor's contract holdout | The MMQB with Peter King

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is what are his teammates going to be thinking after week 3, and 4, and 5.... and 9. I don't care what King is saying today, Kam will get the blame for this. The team didn't drive him into making this move. He's on a great contract. One he gladly signed. The team has a strong history of taking care of it's players. This isn't a tightwad team. This demand is outrageous and sooner or later most of those same players are going to have to come to that conclusion.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I disagree with you, wiz. But if that happens and his teammates feel like him not being there is what cost them a deep playoff run, don't you think they might resent the team for not bringing him back more than they would him? I mean, if they never recover (which I am 100% convinced they will), doesn't that just kind of prove his point about his importance to the teams and maybe he should have some longer term security. I could defenitely see his teammates seeing it that way if this causes the wheels to come off (which it won't).

Why would they resent the Seahawks? This is first and foremost a business and as long as these guys are getting their paychecks, I don't think they resent anything. I also stated this before, the players knows about the cap situation the Seahawks are in but if they truly care about anything, I dare them to take a paycut and allocate some of the freed up money to Kam Chancellor. I mean... they do have his back right?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players want to offer Kam their support, because he's been nothing but awesome. However they totally understand the situation, doubt there is anyone (players) that will feel the Seahawks did Kam wrong.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players want to offer Kam their support, because he's been nothing but awesome. However they totally understand the situation, doubt there is anyone (players) that will feel the Seahawks did Kam wrong.

Totally agree. They don't think the Hawks are being dirty. I just don't think that if this cost them the season, they would resent Kam any more than the team.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they resent the Seahawks? This is first and foremost a business and as long as these guys are getting their paychecks, I don't think they resent anything. I also stated this before, the players knows about the cap situation the Seahawks are in but if they truly care about anything, I dare them to take a paycut and allocate some of the freed up money to Kam Chancellor. I mean... they do have his back right?

Yeah. I don't either. They'll blame themselves if they fail, as they should.

But you're assigning fan logic to players regarding the hypothetical scenario that wiz and I were discussing. I have heard teammates criticize teams for contract disputes, I have not once heard one criticize another teammate in a contract dispute, only support.

As far as them understanding the cap situation. You're right, they should. But that also means that they should know that the Hawks have the least long term commitments in the league, and that includes Kams contract. Trust me, they all know that there is money on the backend for all of them. Which is why I think that Kam won't be the only Seahawks to pull this. I don't disagree with the Seahawks cap approach. I like it because front loading contracts is how you can resign so many good players. But you are fooling yourselves if you think that these players won't want security going in to the final years of their deals. The Hawks had to have seen situations like this coming.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bout his teammates restructure their deal to get Kam in... Let's see what kind of stance they would have then...

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw him. Lets have a jersey burning downtown. Trade him to a team in the afc that will never make the playoffs. Which is very likely the outcome of all of this.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw him. Lets have a jersey burning downtown. Trade him to a team in the afc that will never make the playoffs. Which is very likely the outcome of all of this.

Lets get the local media involved so he will see it.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kam hurt? Could he be hiding an injury, and that is why he wants guaranteed money?

I just get the sneaky terrible feeling Kam comes back injured and gets re-injured.
Is this why he is willing to forfeit 267K each game? Because he comes back, plays hard, gets re-injured (which he knew he would), and COLLECTS his new found guaranteed money.

Hate to think this way, but maybe........

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Kam hurt? Could he be hiding an injury, and that is why he wants guaranteed money?

I just get the sneaky terrible feeling Kam comes back injured and gets re-injured.
Is this why he is willing to forfeit 267K each game? Because he comes back, plays hard, gets re-injured (which he knew he would), and COLLECTS his new found guaranteed money.

Mmmm says he felt great, but has a torn MCI I think. Think he's ready to rock, but the potential for disaster is high IMO. Seahawks need to hold firm, then see what kind of offers they can get for him next off season.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think so. If he was hurt, he could have shown up on time and be put on the PUP or even IR'd and still collect his check.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man the media is really blaming that whole shitty defensive performance solely on the absence of Kam. Yes the last TD was on his replacement but there was so much else that went wrong last Sunday. I definitely think the Hawks win that game with Kam but even with him it still comes down to the wire.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the Packer game comes down to cleaning up the mistakes. The piss poor tackling and the blown assignments on pass plays on defense. Guess I should add a better job by the OL, but I expect that to happen.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense can't help but get better. They don't have much lower they can go.

The defense is what had me concerned. I'm not sure KR has that unit dialed up, but Pete needs to support him and get him going because they can't win without a solid defense. It's the foundation of their program.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty depressing heading into Green bay without Kam....

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty depressing heading into Green bay without Kam....

To me it's more about cleaning things up. Feel like the small changes the new DC made along with new starters have led to some confusion. Feel the Seahawks have enough studs to make up for Kam if they can just play in sync.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See that's what I'm wondering as well. Maybe he's feeling the affects of concussions or something and is planning to retire after next season. I don't think it was guaranteed that he'd be on the field even if he did show up at the start of camp. Maybe he didn't want team doctors to look at him. Who knows?