• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Braves vs Phillies

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah - hitting in between Turner and Harper has to be one of, if not the best place to hit in all of major league baseball. Castellano has looked great. Could be Philly's year - there really isnt a dominant team

Dodgers and Braves obviously had great years but neither had playoff dominating starting pitching. Right now MLB is pretty wide open if you ask me.

Dodgers need to make serious moves in the rotation this offseason since Urias is a question mark, and Buehler is coming off TJ surgery and Kershaw is at the end- even if he comes back he isnt a guy that can go 7 innings anymore except on the rarest of occasions. Houston is definitely no where near the height of their power anymore. Red Sox and Yanks have tons of issues.

honestly- I think MLB is as wide open - and should be going forward unless the O's really get some serious SP and their young guys take another step. Other than that I dont really see even many candidates for a dominant team - even if the Dodgers get Ohtani they still need SP.

And that's without mentioning May and Gonsolin. Dodgers have done a great job over the years building pitching depth, but that's really being tested with all these injuries.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's without mentioning May and Gonsolin. Dodgers have done a great job over the years building pitching depth, but that's really being tested with all these injuries.
totally - they have been great at developing- combine that with a gigantic wallet and its easy to see why they have won so many regular season games the last few years.

But the thing is- more often then not- as long as I have watched baseball- dominant gas throwing pitchers that can go deep into games dominant the playoffs. I do not know if the Dodgers even have one of those guys.

Maybe Buehler gets healthy AND takes a step up? Maybe May gets more length and takes a step up AND stays healthy? Gonsolin is mostly a 5 and fly guy with solid stuff.

but no true ace- there really arent that many true aces in baseball anymore and out of the remaining handful- some are at the end of the rope (Sherzer, Verlander), some are already over the edge like Kershaw, and some just consantly get hurt like DeGrom.

How many "true" aces are in baseball right now that you would feel awesome about handing the ball in Game 1 and saying- yah- we have a GREAT chance to win?

First Tier:
-Cole
-Wheeler
-Castillo (even though he obviously didnt pitch great)
-Strider
-Verlander (I guess?)
-Burnes
-Gallen (?)

that is a weak as fuck list.

2nd Tier Guys that are Def not "true aces"
-Glasnow
-Lopez
-Bieber (if healthy)
- Sherzer- I dont think I can put him in Tier 1 anymore.
-DeGrom- (maybe tier 1 if healthy)
-Gausman
-Gray
-Valdez
-Snell
-Webb

I am sure I am missing a guy or two- because I will tell ya- that first list of ace starter is as weak as I can remember.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
totally - they have been great at developing- combine that with a gigantic wallet and its easy to see why they have won so many regular season games the last few years.

But the thing is- more often then not- as long as I have watched baseball- dominant gas throwing pitchers that can go deep into games dominant the playoffs. I do not know if the Dodgers even have one of those guys.

Maybe Buehler gets healthy AND takes a step up? Maybe May gets more length and takes a step up AND stays healthy? Gonsolin is mostly a 5 and fly guy with solid stuff.

but no true ace- there really arent that many true aces in baseball anymore and out of the remaining handful- some are at the end of the rope (Sherzer, Verlander), some are already over the edge like Kershaw, and some just consantly get hurt like DeGrom.

How many "true" aces are in baseball right now that you would feel awesome about handing the ball in Game 1 and saying- yah- we have a GREAT chance to win?

First Tier:
-Cole
-Wheeler
-Castillo (even though he obviously didnt pitch great)
-Strider
-Verlander (I guess?)
-Burnes
-Gallen (?)

that is a weak as fuck list.

2nd Tier Guys that are Def not "true aces"
-Glasnow
-Lopez
-Bieber (if healthy)
- Sherzer- I dont think I can put him in Tier 1 anymore.
-DeGrom- (maybe tier 1 if healthy)
-Gausman
-Gray
-Valdez
-Snell
-Webb

I am sure I am missing a guy or two- because I will tell ya- that first list of ace starter is as weak as I can remember.
I don't think Nola goes in tier 2, but it's probably closer than I realize.
Especially the innings he gives you.

That being said, he was on a very team friendly deal (4/45) after his arbitration years, so he might be looking to get paid.
I think he gets paid, so the Phils might be out, especially if he keeps pitching like an ace.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We broke him.

We broke this guy.
They were just talking about this on sports radio.
Might just sum up the difference between the two teams.

When Bohm got frustrated last season, he muttered those words that the TV caught and what did he do?
He owned it. I'm certain that clubhouse leadership guided him on what to say when he apologized. And the fans responded.

When Turner struggled, the fans responded.

Strider says he doesn't like to play with fans in the stands.
Where was the clubhouse leadership?
Where was the apology to the Atlanta fans?

Arcia and the Harper quote. Where was the clubhouse leadership?
Instead of owning it, they doubled down on it!
They even questioned if he even said it at all.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were just talking about this on sports radio.
Might just sum up the difference between the two teams.

When Bohm got frustrated last season, he muttered those words that the TV caught and what did he do?
He owned it. I'm certain that clubhouse leadership guided him on what to say when he apologized. And the fans responded.

When Turner struggled, the fans responded.

Strider says he doesn't like to play with fans in the stands.
Where was the clubhouse leadership?
Where was the apology to the Atlanta fans?

Arcia and the Harper quote. Where was the clubhouse leadership?
Instead of owning it, they doubled down on it!
They even questioned if he even said it at all.
There could be something to that, but I don't know about the thing with Strider. I think any Rational person would assume he was joking when he said the thing about not wanting fans. (Although I'll admit there do seem to be a lot of irrational people, most of whom love going on social media)

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There could be something to that, but I don't know about the thing with Strider. I think any Rational person would assume he was joking when he said the thing about not wanting fans. (Although I'll admit there do seem to be a lot of irrational people, most of whom love going on social media)
The Braves seem to excel at giving other teams bulletin board material.
Not that teams in the playoffs need it, but I still remember their celebration when they clinched the division on our home field.
I'm sure the Phillies took notice of it too.