• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl Games thread (2023-24)

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas St wins the Pop Tarts Bowl, nice 9 win season for KST, Chris Klieman is a good coach and has them rolling along nicely, and their freshman QB Avery Johnson looked promising in this game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 9- December 29th)
Rutgers beats the Canes! “The U” can suck on that! Another mediocre 7-6 finish for the Canes, after a promising start. Cristobal is a shit coach.
...Yeah. That was how my day went yesterday, as "The U" let me down... again. Part of a 1-3 day for me.

But we are entering the "New Year's Six" window of bowl games, so there's no time to mope! Let's keep it going and look at today's games (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN unless noted):

Taxslayer Gator Bowl: Clemson vs. Kentucky [12:00] (So here we have a Kentucky team that is delighted that Mark Stoops is staying as their head coach, taking on a Clemson team that is trying to end another tough season with a bowl win. And Clemson does have a powerful running game, but their defense will be missing some key players. Not to mention that Kentucky's QB Devin Leary is playing in his very first bowl game EVER today... and that Ray Davis will also be playing for the 'Cats.)
My prediction: KENTUCKY 27-24

Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl: Notre Dame vs. Oregon State [2:30, CBS] (So many players have opted out of this game... Shame. For the Irish they're missing Sam Hartman, RB Audric Estime, All-American tackle Joe Alt, and tackle Blake Fisher. For the Beavers they are without their leading tackler, their top 2 QB's [who transferred], and their kicker. But at least this Sun Bowl will have the one thing that makes any football game worth watching: Unpredictability.
And at least the Irish has THEIR head coach; Oregon State lost theirs.)
My prediction: NOTRE DAME 20-17

AutoZone Liberty Bowl: Iowa State vs. Memphis [3:30] (Ah, yes. The classic battle of a high-scoring team taking on a powerful defense. And there aren't any notable player defections from either team, so this should be a good game. And I'm sure that Memphis wants to get another 10-win season, but I gotta go with the Cyclones and their defense. Mainly because on the off chance that their defense fails, Iowa State can also do the shoot-em-up game.)
My prediction: IOWA STATE 30-24

Goodyear Cotton Bowl: Ohio State vs. Missouri [8:00]
(The first "New Year's Six" bowl game is here! And Missouri is super-stoked to be here, ready to cap off their best season in a decade by beating the mighty Buckeyes. And the Tigers have a strong defense that can compete with Ohio State's tough D. AND Missouri don't have any messy player drama to deal with; starting QB Kyle McCord bolted for Syracuse, and nobody knows if Marvin Harrison Jr. will play or not.
However, Ohio State may have an ace-in-the-hole: New QB Devin Brown. From recent reports, he was neck-and-neck with McCord in the QB race last spring. And if he comes through for the Buckeyes, they should find a way to win this.)
My prediction: Ohio State 27-20
More bowl picks to come...

foster4prez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s kind of a bad loss for SMU IMO, they had 11 wins and won their conference yet they got handled by a 6 win BC team. I wonder if they were let down about not going to a New Years Six Bowl (Liberty got in from the Group of 5 instead of them) and they just didn’t show up.

I hope Rutgers beats “The U” there’s something about the Canes that rubs me the wrong way, maybe because of their history of cockiness, maybe because my alma mater is their crosstown rival Florida International, and maybe because I’m sick of hearing about how “the U is back” only for them to disappoint every season - they haven’t been a title contender in 20 years really. I live in Florida and there are some people who get all excited about “the U” and they disappoint every year. Cristobal will never get them back to glory, he’s a terrible coach - just look at how he caused them to lose to GA Tech by himself in one of the most embarrassing coaching failures ever.
Between SMU getting bodied by BC and Tulane getting bodied by VT and what Oregon is about to do to Liberty, it has not been a good year for the Group of 5.

I think I saw they're like 1-10 vs the P5 this bowl season with the P5 covering in 9 of the 10 wins.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like using the name of a bowl game or any other game as a cheap advertising slogan.

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Cotton Bowl Classic isnt what it used to be, unless it involves a team from the old Southwest Conference.

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't look like a happy year for the SEC in bowl games. But all I really care about is just ONE win. :D

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dull game this Cotton Bowl is. Lifeless offenses.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a dull game this Cotton Bowl is. Lifeless offenses.

Well, one lifeless offense. To be fair, OSU's defense was really good this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 10- December 30th)

I'm... I'm just not gonna worry about my prediction records anymore. Let me just take a good look at today's games (All times are Eastern):

Transperfect Music City Bowl: Auburn vs. Maryland [2:00, ABC] (So we have a coaching matchup between Mike Locksley and Hugh Freeze. And from what I've heard, Auburn's secondary is filled with freshmen. So even with Taulia Tagovailoa opting out, Maryland's offense should still score on Auburn... or at least, that's what the fans are hoping. But give me the team who still has their experienced QB.)
My prediction: AUBURN 37-30

Barstool Arizona Bowl: Toledo vs. Wyoming [4:30, CW Network] (There are quite a few mixed signals in this game. ESPN has Toledo as the favorite, but the Vegas sharks has Wyoming. The Cowboys hasn't faced an offense like Toledo's this season, but their defense looks pretty good. And Toledo looks confident, even though QB Dequan Finn is now in the transfer portal. Oh dear...)
My prediction: WYOMING 28-24

Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: Penn State vs. Ole Miss [12:00, ESPN]
(In this, the second "New Year's Six" bowl of the season, we have a coaching matchup for the ages: James Franklin vs. Lane Kiffin! And not only will we get the usual sort of drama [players opting out, Ole Miss not sure of their RB's future], but there is also drama with the Penn State coaching staff [quite a few new coordinators over here]! Lane himself has said "We don't know WHAT Penn State will do".
So which team will win the battle of strong defense vs. a high-flying offense?)
My prediction: Penn State 30-24 (Screw it. Give me the strong defense.)

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. Georgia [4:00, ESPN]
(Here we go! This is the bowl game that we've been waiting for since the "New Year's Six" bowls were unveiled. The battle of two jilted teams; Georgia missed their chance at a three-peat, and we all know what happened to Florida State. FSU might be a little deflated, but I'll bet that Mike Norvell will have them ready to play. I mean, this is Florida State's ultimate chance to stick it to that damn CFP committee!
...But it's gonna be REALLY hard for the Seminoles to win, with them having a LOT more opt-outs and injuries than Georgia has.)
My prediction: Georgia 32-24
And in 2 days, it'll be time for the playoff to begin...

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 10- December 30th)

I'm... I'm just not gonna worry about my prediction records anymore. Let me just take a good look at today's games (All times are Eastern):

Transperfect Music City Bowl: Auburn vs. Maryland [2:00, ABC] (So we have a coaching matchup between Mike Locksley and Hugh Freeze. And from what I've heard, Auburn's secondary is filled with freshmen. So even with Taulia Tagovailoa opting out, Maryland's offense should still score on Auburn... or at least, that's what the fans are hoping. But give me the team who still has their experienced QB.)
My prediction: AUBURN 37-30

Barstool Arizona Bowl: Toledo vs. Wyoming [4:30, CW Network] (There are quite a few mixed signals in this game. ESPN has Toledo as the favorite, but the Vegas sharks has Wyoming. The Cowboys hasn't faced an offense like Toledo's this season, but their defense looks pretty good. And Toledo looks confident, even though QB Dequan Finn is now in the transfer portal. Oh dear...)
My prediction: WYOMING 28-24

Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl: Penn State vs. Ole Miss [12:00, ESPN]
(In this, the second "New Year's Six" bowl of the season, we have a coaching matchup for the ages: James Franklin vs. Lane Kiffin! And not only will we get the usual sort of drama [players opting out, Ole Miss not sure of their RB's future], but there is also drama with the Penn State coaching staff [quite a few new coordinators over here]! Lane himself has said "We don't know WHAT Penn State will do".
So which team will win the battle of strong defense vs. a high-flying offense?)
My prediction: Penn State 30-24 (Screw it. Give me the strong defense.)

Orange Bowl: Florida State vs. Georgia [4:00, ESPN]
(Here we go! This is the bowl game that we've been waiting for since the "New Year's Six" bowls were unveiled. The battle of two jilted teams; Georgia missed their chance at a three-peat, and we all know what happened to Florida State. FSU might be a little deflated, but I'll bet that Mike Norvell will have them ready to play. I mean, this is Florida State's ultimate chance to stick it to that damn CFP committee!
...But it's gonna be REALLY hard for the Seminoles to win, with them having a LOT more opt-outs and injuries than Georgia has.)
My prediction: Georgia 32-24
And in 2 days, it'll be time for the playoff to begin...

FSU...speaking of bring out your dead.

Who shows up, the FSU wanting to show the playoff committee they screwed up. Or the FSU that's having a temper tantrum and shows up in body only?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU...speaking of bring out your dead.

Who shows up, the FSU wanting to show the playoff committee they screwed up. Or the FSU that's having a temper tantrum and shows up in body only?
OOOOO... I think that will be the ultimate decider for the game.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, one lifeless offense. To be fair, OSU's defense was really good this year.

Yeah, as well as the D played, that could have been an easy win if OSU could have found a way to move the ball. But there was almost nothing left of the offense.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, as well as the D played, that could have been an easy win if OSU could have found a way to move the ball. But there was almost nothing left of the offense.

There was just not much to work with on that offense. No McCord, so you're going with a QB that had 19 pass attempts against the likes of WKU/Purdue/Youngstown State. No Harrison, Fleming, or Stover to throw to. Still had Egbuka, but they're also starting a receiver (Xavier Johnson) who had barely over 300 yards in two senior seasons and a true freshman receiver (Carnell Tate). For the record, I think Tate showed a lot of promise this year and I fully expect him to be the next All-Conference receiver at OSU... but it's hard to expect anything from receivers in their freshman years. Surprised they didn't throw to Henderson at all. And once Brown got hurt, OSU went to running the ball.. which worked until Mizzou loaded the box and were able to blitz. I can't fault Kienholz too much, he was in a tough spot.

The D did eventually break down a bit in the 2nd half, but even then they still held Schrader to 4.4 YPC. Burden was a non factor. I am not going to miss seeing Sawyer and JTT, they're studs.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was just not much to work with on that offense. No McCord, so you're going with a QB that had 19 pass attempts against the likes of WKU/Purdue/Youngstown State. No Harrison, Fleming, or Stover to throw to. Still had Egbuka, but they're also starting a receiver (Xavier Johnson) who had barely over 300 yards in two senior seasons and a true freshman receiver (Carnell Tate). For the record, I think Tate showed a lot of promise this year and I fully expect him to be the next All-Conference receiver at OSU... but it's hard to expect anything from receivers in their freshman years. Surprised they didn't throw to Henderson at all. And once Brown got hurt, OSU went to running the ball.. which worked until Mizzou loaded the box and were able to blitz. I can't fault Kienholz too much, he was in a tough spot.

The D did eventually break down a bit in the 2nd half, but even then they still held Schrader to 4.4 YPC. Burden was a non factor. I am not going to miss seeing Sawyer and JTT, they're studs.

Using the RB as an outlet seems to not be something Day likes to do. And I'm not sure you could have Henderson get any more involved than he was since he was the only RB on the roster last night. It's actually kind of sad what college football has turned into. These kids commit to a program, play an entire regular season, then bail out as soon as they fall short of the playoffs. I feel bad for anyone who made the trip to see this game.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the RB as an outlet seems to not be something Day likes to do. And I'm not sure you could have Henderson get any more involved than he was since he was the only RB on the roster last night. It's actually kind of sad what college football has turned into. These kids commit to a program, play an entire regular season, then bail out as soon as they fall short of the playoffs. I feel bad for anyone who made the trip to see this game.

The whole problem is the timing of the whole shit. The early signing period is nice to get the kids in to class and with the program but aside from that it's like starting the offseason in the NFL before the playoffs start. It should be as easy as kids who want to get rolling early can

The transfer portal 100 percent should not open until after bowl season. And with a 12 team playoff that really messes shit up with the early portal.

No NFL declarations....nothing until after the postseason is done.