• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bowl Games thread (2023-24)

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for UTSA last night - their first ever bowl win.

I wish the Boca Bowl was tonight instead of tomorrow - tomorrow has an NFL game as well, the bowl should be tonight instead, now there’s no football tonight.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 4- December 21st and 22nd)

So now that college basketball had some time to shine yesterday, it's time to get back to bowl predictions. So here's what we got today and tomorrow (All times are Eastern, and both games on ESPN):

Today:
Boca Raton Bowl: South Florida vs. Syracuse [8:00]
(So who will walk away with a winning record in this battle of former Big East mates? Well, Syracuse might not have coach Dino Babers or QB Garrett Shrader, but the "Wildcat" attack the Orange uses has made them a slight favorite. On the other hand, USF might not have the best defense, but they DO have a 3,000-yard passer [Byrum Brown] and they're playing close to home. Hmm...)
My prediction: USF 24-21

Tomorrow:
Gasparilla Bowl: Georgia Tech vs. Central Florida [6:30]
(Hey! It's another instance of an ACC team facing a team from the state of Florida! So what will happen in the first bowl of the season featuring two "Power 5" teams? UCF has won 3 of their last 4 games to get here, they have a guy nearing 1,300 rushing yards [RJ Henry], and they get to play close to home [just like USF]. But Georgia Tech has a better defense than one may think, and they DID give the Georgia Bulldogs a good fight last November.)
My prediction: GEORGIA TECH 30-24 (Haynes King was the deciding factor for me)

So now I wait for Saturday, where- Oh god. Are there really SEVEN bowl games on this Saturday? What am I gonna do about this?!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (December 23rd- Part 1)

You know what, guys? I think I can do the job of picking 7 bowl games in one sitting! That's because ESPN and ABC are sharing the workload this Saturday. So it'll be easy to put the games together into 2 groups.
First, here are the bowls that we'll have on ESPN this Saturday (All times are Eastern):

Camellia Bowl: Arkansas State vs. Northern Illinois [12:00] (A battle of 2 "Group of Five" schools with a 6-6 record? How terribly uninteresting. Although Arkansas State has to be psyched about being in a bowl for the first time in a few years. Too bad that NIU's defense is pretty good, and they have RB Antario Brown at their disposal.)
My prediction: NORTHERN ILLINOIS 24-21

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl: Utah State vs. Georgia State [3:30] (Another meeting of 6-6 teams? Well anyway, neither Georgia State nor Utah State has a good defense. But Georgia State is limping into this bowl on a 5-game losing streak, and their supposedly good offense didn't look good in ANY of those games. As for Utah State, I can't think of anything, so...)
My prediction: UTAH STATE 31-28

68 Ventures Bowl: South Alabama vs. Eastern Michigan [7:00] (Don't get excited; 68 Ventures is just some investment firm over in the South. Anyway, Eastern Michigan has managed to find another bowl game thanks to some late season heroics. But the Eagles' offense is suffering right now, and the Jaguars are HUNGRY to get their 1st-ever bowl win in program history. And their defense should give it to them.)
My prediction: SOUTH ALABAMA 31-14

Easypost Hawaii Bowl: San Jose State vs. Coastal Carolina [10:30] (OK, so things weren't that exciting for CCU in Tim Beck's 1st year as head coach. At least they'll have a chance to send Grayson McCall out a winner here in Hawaii. Thing is, San Jose State is flying high with a 5-game winning streak and QB Cheven Cordeiro playing great. Not to mention that the Spartans' defense is better than you think.)
My prediction: SAN JOSE STATE 28-21

Well, that's the first 4 down. Give me about 30 minutes, and I'll be back with the other 3.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions [December 23rd- Part 2]

And now, here are the games that ABC will be broadcasting tomorrow (All times are Eastern):

76 Birmingham Bowl: Troy vs. Duke [12:00] (76 is just a chain of gas stations, so you guys can calm down. Anyway, this bowl game actually looks good! It's the Troy Trojans, champions of the Sun Belt who are looking to finish their 2nd straight season in the Top 25... even though they just lost their head coach [who's now at Tulane]. As for Duke, they had the best start to a season since 1994... only to have it go south. And now Riley Leonard is a QB over at Notre Dame.
Thing is, Duke has played without Riley Leonard already. And with- Wait, what was that? ...Oh, NOW I remember! Duke is without THEIR head coach, too [Mike Eiko is now at Texas A&M]! In that case, give me Troy and QB Gunner Watson!)
My prediction: TROY 35-27

Armed Forces Bowl: James Madison vs. Air Force [3:30] (Air Force is limping into this game with a 4-game losing streak... after starting the year 8-0. But by now, they SHOULD have their act together and be ready to ram the football down JMU's throat. As for the Dukes, they finally got their wish! They're in a bowl game! And with ample time to prepare for Air Force's attack [and the play of QB Jordan McCloud], JMU should be able to take it.)
My prediction: JAMES MADISON 30-20

Las Vegas Bowl: Utah vs. Northwestern [7:30] (And now, we save the hardest bowl game for last. Northwestern is DELIGHTED to be here in Las Vegas for a bowl game, while Utah had a somewhat-disappointing year. However, Utah is using some form of new technology in their helmets where they can just get the play call from inside the helmet and-
Wait. What the f--k am I talking about? The obvious question in this game is "Can the Wildcats defense handle the rugged Utes?". It's that freaking simple.)
My prediction: UTAH 28-24

...Hey, I did it! All 7 bowl games have been picked. Tune in on Saturday... and see how many of them I get wrong!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl recap (December 23rd)

Now, see, THIS is why I wasn't bragging about my hot start in bowl predictions. Because the gods of luck can turn on you in a minute. I mean, one day you're starting out 10-0 with your picks. But the next day, you go 2-5 while underestimating the willpower of teams like Northwestern, Air Force, and Duke.

As for the other 4, Northern Illinois and South Alabama did good, but San Jose State and Utah State fell apart. Oh well, I'll try to pick my mojo back up after Christmas...

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 6- December 26th)

Okay. So after some time to unwind (and gorge), I now get back to work as I predict today's 3 bowls (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Quick Lane Bowl: Bowling Green vs. Minnesota [2:00] (Here is one of the bowls that I'll be doing my best to ignore. I mean, Bowling Green's top 2 RB's are out [One is hurt, the other transferred], and Minnesota is starting a career backup at QB after Athan Kaliakmanis also transferred. Well, at least Minnesota will get to avenge a stunning loss to the Falcons from last year.)
My prediction: MINNESOTA 24-21

First Responder Bowl: Texas State vs. Rice [5:30] (This bowl doesn't look too big either, but hey! At least we got two Texas schools going at it. And it could be a high-scoring game. And I'm going with the Owls. Why? Because even though Rice's defense is average, it's still way WAY better than Texas State's.)
My prediction: RICE 35-30

Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Kansas vs. UNLV [9:00] (Now I miss this bowl game being called the "Cactus Bowl". Anyway, UNLV has to be stoked; this is their first bowl game since 2014! And they have a QB [Jayden Maiava] that can go toe-to-toe with Kansas' head man Jason Bean. Plus, both the Rebels and the Jayhawks can run the ball very well, too. So who will win this potential offensive explosion?)
My prediction: KANSAS 38-35

More bowl picks to come...

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m looking forward to the Kansas/UNLV game tonight - it’s nice to see both of those teams having success after years of struggling, and it’s a good matchup between 2 good offensive teams.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas/UNLV is one hell of a game - nice comeback by UNLV.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win for Kansas - they hadn’t won a bowl in 15 years. They have a strong offense and a lot of guys coming back next year. Impressive what Lance Leipold has done with them.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else watch this Kansas UNLV game? Was tye camera suprisingly out of focus on many shots for you guys? Like old 480i standard Def. Even the main camera seemed crappy, but they kept cutting to a sideline view and if looked like it was filmed on a camcorder recording to VHS. Even an iPhone would have shot better video.

Wondering if it's a setting on my TV or something? ESPN couldn't have put that bad of a feed on air right?

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 7- December 27th)

Texas State wins 45-21.

first bowl victory in program history
My dark side is laughing his head off at this, as I had forgotten that this was Texas State's 1st ever bowl game. Which could have REALLY helped my decision on the First Responder Bowl.

Oh well, time to keep it going with my next round of picks (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN unless noted):

Military Bowl: Tulane vs. Virginia Tech [2:00] (So Virginia Tech barely got into a bowl, they're facing an 11-2 team in Tulane, and the Hokies are 10.5-point favorites?! Well, Tulane's head coach is gone [Willie Fritz is now at Houston], their star QB Michael Pratt is hurt, and 6 other starters are also out for various reasons. Meanwhile, Va-Tech has had no major defections and has a defensive front to drool over.)
My prediction: VIRGINIA TECH 24-17 (That way, when Tulane shocks the Hokies, I can at least act surprised.)

Duke's Mayo Bowl: North Carolina vs. West Virginia [5:30] (Here's another game featuring a proud member of the ACC! Although I am worried about how motivated the Tar Heels will be about playing this game, what with Drake Maye and a few other star players opting out. As for West Virginia, they've won 4 out of their last 5 games and has a proud defensive front of their own. Not to mention that coach Neal Brown doesn't have to worry about his job security anymore.)
My prediction: WEST VIRGINIA 30-27

Holiday Bowl: USC vs. Louisville [8:00, FOX] (Now we get to the always-interesting Holiday Bowl. And we have a surprising Louisville team taking on USC. Who, by the way, doesn't have QB Caleb Williams anymore... and who still has that REALLY crappy defense. But then again, Louisville won't have their top RB and WR for this game, either.)
My prediction: USC 44-41 (This is my big upset pick of the bowl season! Lincoln Riley will flex his coaching chops and get USC the big win... Right?!)

Texas Bowl: Oklahoma State vs. Texas A&M [9:00] (Here, we have Oklahoma State facing a former Big 12 teammate. And I thought this was gonna be a tough decision, what with all the close games that the Cowboys went through this season and the Aggies playing for their pride. But when I did my homework, I saw A&M still having some trouble with their QB's. And I haven't heard that Ollie Gordon II had withdrawn or anything like that. Combine that with OK State's stability at the QB spot, and...)
My prediction: OKLAHOMA STATE 31-28

More bowl picks still to come...

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VA Tech demolishing Tulane in the pouring rain in the Military Bowl.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowl predictions (Part 8- December 28th)

There'll be no boasting from me about yesterday. Just know that QB Miller Moss came through big-time for the Trojans. Let's hope I have a little bit of luck left over for today's games (All times are Eastern, and all games on ESPN):

Fenway Bowl: SMU vs. Boston College [11:00 A.M.] (Thanks to the hands of fate, SMU will get a preview of life in the ACC when they face Boston College... in basically a home game for the Eagles inside Fenway Park. There is a LOT to digest here; for example, SMU has backup QB Kevin Jennings ready to try to bring them their first bowl win since 2012... and get their first year-end ranking since 1984. As for BC, they have a RB named Kye Robichaux who is ready to take advantage of a rainy forecast.)
My prediction: SMU 21-20

Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs. Miami [2:15] (Oooo! So when Fenway Park is done with their bowl game, we'll then go over to Yankee Stadium for another bowl? Cool! Anyway, this is a tough spot for Rutgers; they're limping into this bowl on a 4-game skid, and they have never beaten Miami in their entire history [they're 0-11]. However, they do have RB Kyle Monangai [one of the best RB's in the Big 10]. And Miami doesn't have QB Tyler Van Dyke anymore [he's transferring to Wisconsin]!
Thing is, I have a feeling that Miami will be able to move the ball anyway. And when that happens, Mario Cristobal will take in a win over his coaching mentor Greg Schiano.)
My prediction: MIAMI 27-17

Pop-Tarts Bowl: NC State vs. Kansas State [5:45] (So, here we are. The most tragically-named bowl game of the 2023 season is upon us. And BOTH the Wolfpack and Wildcats will have to deal with player defections today... and a mascot for this game that is allegedly edible. So let me just look at the QB spot... Okay, Brennan Armstrong is back under center for NC State. And Kansas State doesn't have Will Howard anymore, but Avery Johnson looks capable as a starter. Now about the defense- OOOO! K-State looks really good on that front.)
My prediction: KANSAS STATE 28-24

Valero Alamo Bowl: Arizona vs. Oklahoma [9:15] (In terms of match-ups, this bowl game looks to be the best of the non "New Year's Six" bowls. We have red-hot Arizona [who's going to the Big 12 next year] taking on stalwart Oklahoma [who'll be leaving the Big 12 after this game]. For the Sooners, they've actually been expecting Dillon Gabriel to not play this game, so their planned 2024 starter Jackson Arnold will step in. But can he outshoot Arizona's QB Noah Fifita? And can the Sooners defense stop the Wildcats attack?)
My prediction: OKLAHOMA 41-34

Yet more bowl picks are coming up...

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buston College won 23-14

now at Yankee Stadium

Rutgers 7-0 Miami
1st 6m

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s kind of a bad loss for SMU IMO, they had 11 wins and won their conference yet they got handled by a 6 win BC team. I wonder if they were let down about not going to a New Years Six Bowl (Liberty got in from the Group of 5 instead of them) and they just didn’t show up.

I hope Rutgers beats “The U” there’s something about the Canes that rubs me the wrong way, maybe because of their history of cockiness, maybe because my alma mater is their crosstown rival Florida International, and maybe because I’m sick of hearing about how “the U is back” only for them to disappoint every season - they haven’t been a title contender in 20 years really. I live in Florida and there are some people who get all excited about “the U” and they disappoint every year. Cristobal will never get them back to glory, he’s a terrible coach - just look at how he caused them to lose to GA Tech by himself in one of the most embarrassing coaching failures ever.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers beats the Canes! “The U” can suck on that! Another mediocre 7-6 finish for the Canes, after a promising start. Cristobal is a shit coach.