• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bought a new gun

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Define "run it hard," please.
Aluminum frame and round count. I'm a high volume shooter. Sometimes thousands of rounds a month. Most people shoot a few hundred a year. Depends on what camp you fall into.

I know it's "aircraft grade" and what-not but it just isn't steel or even polymer for that matter as far as longevity. After about 4000 rounds through mine I was noticing wear that was to me, in excess of what I am used to. You'll hear the phrase "they are made to be carried a lot and shot a little" if you poke around enough. I agree with that sentiment. My only concern is that I train a lot and I like to shoot the gun I carry.

One solution with the 1911 design if you are a high volume shooter (or end up being one down the line) is the carry the smaller lighter one and buy a cheap-o steel 1911 for the range. Something like an RIA for about $350. They are functionally the same so you can long more practice time on the steel frame and have the commonality of the design with your carry gun. I did something similar carrying a SIG C3 (beautiful gun, 4" barrel, conceals the same as an Ultra Carry) and logging range time with an SW1911 steel frame. For a while.