• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

bought a new gun

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shot a .40 Shield at the range today did not like the recoil and did not do well with it either. Borrowed a full size .45 M&P with Aped trigger installed and it was smooth as silk. Think that will be my next purchase.
I want one of those at some point too. :suds: Haven't owned a .45 since I sold my Kimber. Shot one of the M&P .45s at a friends and have wanted one since.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've shot it in both 9mm and .40 and didn't feel much difference in the recoil. Both were very moderate to minimal in my opinion. I have a large frame and hands though. :noidea:

I haven't shot the .40 but, like you said, the 9mm isn't bad at all. It actually feels more like a full size pistol as far as the recoil and accuracy goes imo. Especially compared to my PF9 which is only slightly smaller than my Shield.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see the new LC9? Looks pretty good -- they changed (fixed) the trigger and made it a striker fire instead of a hammer. Looks like they actually made a pretty decent gun finally.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone see the new LC9? Looks pretty good -- they changed (fixed) the trigger and made it a striker fire instead of a hammer. Looks like they actually made a pretty decent gun finally.
As far as little guns go, I like the LC9. Not sure it's a huge improvement over the PF9 though. It does seem more refined than the PF9 at least. I try to stick with at least a 4" barrel but this would be a consideration for me if I decided to get a pocket gun. The smallest gun I personally recommend is the SR9c though, which is what my wife carries. It's a little smaller than I like but fits her well and shoots like a larger gun.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Ruger pistols. They have a rep for being inaccurate outside of 15 yards (although most engagements would happen inside of 15 yards). The LC9 is a nice design though, a buddy of mine has one and really likes it.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't shot the .40 but, like you said, the 9mm isn't bad at all. It actually feels more like a full size pistol as far as the recoil and accuracy goes imo. Especially compared to my PF9 which is only slightly smaller than my Shield.
I think I'm going to get mine in 9mm (w/thumb safety). I love my little Glock 26 (accurate, easy function, durable, simple), but its so thick in comparison to the Shield.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any gun the size of the LC9 is going to be practically accurate outside of 10-15 yards.

I know the Ruger P-series guns were known to be tanks that would run forever and hit "nothing" but I've seen some moderately impressive accuracy from the SR9 series. I mean, I would put it in the same league as Glock based on my experience. I don't think you will ever see the accuracy of an SR9/40/45 eclipse that of a higher-end production 1911, SIG, or CZ but as far as a $400 plastic gun goes I think they hold their own now.

My question for the SR-series has more to do with long term durability. They don't have a place at the LEO/Military table so you don't get to see many with high round counts.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any gun the size of the LC9 is going to be practically accurate outside of 10-15 yards.

I know the Ruger P-series guns were known to be tanks that would run forever and hit "nothing" but I've seen some moderately impressive accuracy from the SR9 series. I mean, I would put it in the same league as Glock based on my experience. I don't think you will ever see the accuracy of an SR9/40/45 eclipse that of a higher-end production 1911, SIG, or CZ but as far as a $400 plastic gun goes I think they hold their own now.

My question for the SR-series has more to do with long term durability. They don't have a place at the LEO/Military table so you don't get to see many with high round counts.
I'm pretty dead on with my Glock 26 out to 35+ yards. Ruger's I've shot really just don't compete at that range, but they aren't really meant to. They are designed to be close quarters, self defense weapons.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The G26 is designed for CQB as well. It has the mechanical accuracy to do more than that in the right hands though.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The G26 is designed for CQB as well. It has the mechanical accuracy to do more than that in the right hands though.
Oh for sure. I think it was originally intended to be a back up gun for LEOs. (I may be wrong on that, but am pretty sure I read that in a trade magazine.) But it is accurate for quite a distance. Every Glock I've fired has been.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I believe the G26 pre-dated the uptick in concealed carry and was intended for off-duty/back-up gun status. Glock is just a fantastic and stable platform. They are a hell of a lot more accurate than most people give them credit for.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm going to get mine in 9mm (w/thumb safety). I love my little Glock 26 (accurate, easy function, durable, simple), but its so thick in comparison to the Shield.

That's the one I went with too. I was pretty surprised at the accuracy of the Shield to be as small as it is. Stopped by my mothers the day I bought it and was able to hit a 12 oz Mtn. Dew bottle (all I had in my truck lol) from a good 20-25 yds. with not much trouble. It's way more accurate than my PF9, especially on follow up shots. I've probably got 600-800 rds through the Shield now and feel as comfortable with it as any full size pistol I've owned. I have fairly small hands so that may have something to do with, it just feels right.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I believe the G26 pre-dated the uptick in concealed carry and was intended for off-duty/back-up gun status. Glock is just a fantastic and stable platform. They are a hell of a lot more accurate than most people give them credit for.
I'm a fan. But they are a little thick for concealed carry. Although the Glock 42 (?) is supposed to be nice and slim. A coworker bought one but I haven't been able to go shoot with him yet.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the one I went with too. I was pretty surprised at the accuracy of the Shield to be as small as it is. Stopped by my mothers the day I bought it and was able to hit a 12 oz Mtn. Dew bottle (all I had in my truck lol) from a good 20-25 yds. with not much trouble. It's way more accurate than my PF9, especially on follow up shots. I've probably got 600-800 rds through the Shield now and feel as comfortable with it as any full size pistol I've owned. I have fairly small hands so that may have something to do with, it just feels right.
I only got to put about 20 rounds through one, but felt as good about it as my Glock 26. Does the shield have the interchangeable back straps like the other M&Ps?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a fan. But they are a little thick for concealed carry. Although the Glock 42 (?) is supposed to be nice and slim. A coworker bought one but I haven't been able to go shoot with him yet.

I've always viewed the Glock's in 9/40/357 as slim myself. They hover at about an inch and a quarter wide. I guess that makes them about average. They are slimmer than the 92FS/CZ75 and thicker than a 1911. My current carry is a CZ P-07 which is thicker than the Glock but I haven't really noticed. From what I can tell it carries the same as the G19 I carried for years.

I really don't have a lot of experience with the small guns which is where the sub-1" width guns come into play. I've got a few hundred rounds through a Shield, LCP, CW9, PM9, PF9... but nothing extensive like the 50,000+ I have through the Glock/1911 platforms.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to give up the springfield xd acp .45... I could not pull the slide back to chamber a round!
gaah.gif
gaah.gif
facepalm.gif
because I have shoulder issues.. so I opted for the .40 still a slight bit difficult with the slide but I can at least chamber a round.

What size barrel? I have the same gun with a 4", the .40 cal is not much different than the .45 cal. Some people can tell, other's say it's close, some say it's not.

But my .40 will put a big hole somewhere. :)

Bad ass gun!

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always viewed the Glock's in 9/40/357 as slim myself. They hover at about an inch and a quarter wide. I guess that makes them about average. They are slimmer than the 92FS/CZ75 and thicker than a 1911. My current carry is a CZ P-07 which is thicker than the Glock but I haven't really noticed. From what I can tell it carries the same as the G19 I carried for years.

I really don't have a lot of experience with the small guns which is where the sub-1" width guns come into play. I've got a few hundred rounds through a Shield, LCP, CW9, PM9, PF9... but nothing extensive like the 50,000+ I have through the Glock/1911 platforms.
Me neither, but I like the concept for concealed carry. And very much liked how the two Shields I fired handled.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got to put about 20 rounds through one, but felt as good about it as my Glock 26. Does the shield have the interchangeable back straps like the other M&Ps?

Yeah the Shields have the back straps in 3 sizes small, medium and large.