• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks 2016-17 Season Thread

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Baun still in the system.

Yep, he's definitely got a shot to make the team. Although, after falling into Q's doghouse early, it also took him awhile to get his game going in Rockford, too.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hossa injury doesn't sound serious, but just read that Kruger also got hurt and could miss significant time.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the USA vs Canada third period, they were still hitting, this was just a warm up game.

Not worried as much about Krueger missing time again, plenty deep at center on the bottom lines and pretty sure Schmaltz will be here game 1. Its more interesting reading about people loving Kempny and Pokka after getting Soup to take that missing 4th spot.

Ultimately I think these moves are what make the Vesseys and Kevin Hayes of the world decide to try elsewhere. Lots of what if's on alot of european players they signed over the past year that think they will be on the nhl squad.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, terrible showing by team USA, will need to beat Canada on Tuesday to move on in this deal.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor from an unreliable source, but thought it was interesting for discussion purposes. If nothing else it indicates that Stan is definitely not happy enough with the prospects to go with what they have currently.

"I've been hearing the Chicago Blackhawks have interest in acquiring Mike Ribeiro from the Nashville Predators. It's not every day that those two teams make a trade, but so is life in the salary cap world."

Ribeiro is signed for one more year at a $3.5 mil cap hit, so Nashville would likely have to retain salary in a trade. Or take Kruger+ in return.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stan is never happy with the prospects. Most teams would be happy getting Schwantz and Motte, let alone Pokka and Kempny. Stan and Q always will choose the vet, but its going to start hurting. I know not too many were high on Dano, but Danault would be looking really nice as a third line guy right now. Alot also has to do with confidence after they play 2 games and get shot back down.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week, Panarin said its more than just the money. This week, his agent claims they will be requiring 6/36 for an extension. Hope they are building a bridge in that deal.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting first game, They had Motte playing center and put Schwantz on at left wing trying to find a guy to play on that top line with Toews. Big Swede was skating very well yesterday, big stick and a real nice big shot out of the penalty box. At least I got to see Pokka and Kempny skate.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 periods of hockey and no goals. Watch out rookies, Stans about to find a way to move you for some washed up betteran.

Tonight they get the blues at home in the preseason opening 3 games in 4 nights.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think are the most likely prospects to make the team this year? My guesses:

1) Schmaltz
2) Motte
3) Hartman

I think 2 of those guys make the team.

I'd reverse the order but keep the names the same, from what I've seen so far:

1) Hartman
2) Motte
3) Schmaltz

Hartman has looked good and plays in the dirty areas. Motte has played well offensively, still needs some work on his defensive game. Schmaltz has looked great at times, lost at others. McNeill and Hinostroza also still hanging around. Vinny has been invisible and McNeill just doesn't seem to play with enough passion. Fortin has looked good but I just can't see him making the team.

Forsling has looked good on D, and is a legit prospect. Pokka was exposed as being overhyped - his defensive play was terrible.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNeil is in his 5th year, so he will need to clear waivers to get back to Rockford right? Probably better for him to find a new team.

I was really hoping Schmaltz made the club, since hanging in Rockford seems like a death sentence to careers. I thought he played center at North Dakota, but Eddie said he was playing wing.

Fortin, really really excited to see this kid, but the way I understand it, he is old enough to play in the NHL, but too young to play in the AHL, so would end up being sent back to his college team?

Hartman and Vinnie just get at pucks, probably the closest to Shaw on the roster. Panik is hitting like shaw did though.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNeil is in his 5th year, so he will need to clear waivers to get back to Rockford right? Probably better for him to find a new team.

I was really hoping Schmaltz made the club, since hanging in Rockford seems like a death sentence to careers. I thought he played center at North Dakota, but Eddie said he was playing wing.

Fortin, really really excited to see this kid, but the way I understand it, he is old enough to play in the NHL, but too young to play in the AHL, so would end up being sent back to his college team?

Hartman and Vinnie just get at pucks, probably the closest to Shaw on the roster. Panik is hitting like shaw did though.

You're right on McNeill - he would have to clear waivers.

I hear you on Rockford, but I think that's more a Q thing - either he likes you in which case you spend no more than one season in Rockford - or he doesn't in which case by the end of year 2 you're pretty much done with the big team except for emergency call-ups.

Yes, Fortin either makes the big club or has to go back to juniors. He's not eligible for the AHL until next season.

Vinnie played well in Rockford last year, but I haven't seen anything to make me believe he can translate his game to the NHL. He's fast but that's about all I've seen him bring.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked how eddie compared Vinnie to Danny Briere. He always talks up the locals though. Interesting with Fortin going back to Juniors, I wonder if there is even the thought of keeping him on the roster just to practice with the team to keep him going here so he does not pick up any bad habits. Hawks usually only keep 21 or 22 with the team anyway.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked how eddie compared Vinnie to Danny Briere. He always talks up the locals though. Interesting with Fortin going back to Juniors, I wonder if there is even the thought of keeping him on the roster just to practice with the team to keep him going here so he does not pick up any bad habits. Hawks usually only keep 21 or 22 with the team anyway.

Yeah, all of the Hawk's prospects are future stars, right, ;-)

Definite possibility. They could give him up to a nine game trial and still be able to send him back to juniors.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Yak signed yet? I think it'd be great pickup for this Hawks team that is seriously going to be up against the Cap.