• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks 2016-17 Season Thread

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get this started right.

Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times: (mailbag) Still think it’s possible the Blackhawks will try to bring the 36-year old Brian Campbell back if he wants another run at the Cup. He could get $3 to $4 million on the open market, but the Blackhawks may only want to pay a $1 million.

Don’t see the Blackhawks having any interest in Brad Richards.

Andrew Ladd won’t be back. Dale Weise and Tomas Fleischmann likely won’t get contracts. Would be a shock if Richard Panik isn’t re-signed.

The Blackhawks have been trying to trade Bryan Bickell for over a year and a half, but nobody wants his contract. They could package Teuvo Teravainen with Bickell to move his contract, but that would be a mistake. Best option may be to buy him out a $1 million cap hit next year and $1.5 million in 2017-18.

Nothing new to report on an Andrew Shaw contract.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know my tune, Hawks are stacked in the system, have Panarins bonus money that goes against next years cap, gotta get him signed. Teuvo showed he started to play both ends last year. He deserves a shot to be a full time center. But if Teuvo has another good year, will the hawks be able to afford him?

Will this be the year that Bowmans are forced to push Q to play the kids by giving him no veteran options?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad Teuvo will get the chance to play.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How likely is it we bring back Brian Campbell? I'm not sure how thrilled I am about that. The guy is 37 years old.

However, he did play in all 82 games last season, and led all defensemen in +/- at +31

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate the idea. This team did not turn it around until he left. You gotta think someone is gonna pay him 3-4 million, I've heard the hawks want him for one. There has been too much delay filling these back end guys, figuring this would push TVR back to third pair. There are plenty of new guys they signed from Europe that are cheaper and smarter options right now, not to mention Ville Pokka who should be in that final pair this year.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bickell/Teravainen trade just goes to show the damage that bad contracts can do...

Regarding Campbell, I think the angle the Hawks are playing is the same one they played with Brad Richards - offer a guy who's already made a ton of money one last shot at a Cup, if he's willing to take a huge discount.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hate the idea. This team did not turn it around until he left. You gotta think someone is gonna pay him 3-4 million, I've heard the hawks want him for one. There has been too much delay filling these back end guys, figuring this would push TVR back to third pair. There are plenty of new guys they signed from Europe that are cheaper and smarter options right now, not to mention Ville Pokka who should be in that final pair this year.

It just all depends on how much time the Hawks front office thinks they have left. Seems to me, they're trying to squeeze another Cup or two out of this run, rather than continuing to look into the future. Doing that is why Campbell is targeted.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just all depends on how much time the Hawks front office thinks they have left. Seems to me, they're trying to squeeze another Cup or two out of this run, rather than continuing to look into the future. Doing that is why Campbell is targeted.

I get that, but in the long run, it takes the next run of guys out of the picture because they end up gone. Seems there is not the kind of experience Q wants his players to have in Rockford since no D man seems good enough. Pokka and the two european guys should be ready to play, and more importantly, learn from their mistakes. Even Keith and Seabs give up some bad turnovers away at times.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but in the long run, it takes the next run of guys out of the picture because they end up gone. Seems there is not the kind of experience Q wants his players to have in Rockford since no D man seems good enough. Pokka and the two european guys should be ready to play, and more importantly, learn from their mistakes. Even Keith and Seabs give up some bad turnovers away at times.

We've moved a ton of young talent the last couple of years, which really irritates the hell out of me. Guys like Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Brandon Saad, Stephen Johns, and now Teuvo. I understand that we can't afford to keep all of these guys, but damn is it irritating to basically cut ties with your future.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've moved a ton of young talent the last couple of years, which really irritates the hell out of me. Guys like Nick Leddy, Jimmy Hayes, Brandon Saad, Stephen Johns, and now Teuvo. I understand that we can't afford to keep all of these guys, but damn is it irritating to basically cut ties with your future.

I agree. I know Bowman was chasing anisimov for a long time, but the key to the saad trade was supposed to have been Dano. When he and Danault were traded for a betteran shot at the cup, it was already too far. Danault was having a solid season. Leddy and Saad actually got to play. Hayes and Johns were never given a real shot, Teuvo was bounced all over. Eventually Saad and Teuvo were going to be too expensive, but Danault, Dano, Johns, Hayes, never were the expensive choice, they were all replaced by veterans making more money.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I know Bowman was chasing anisimov for a long time, but the key to the saad trade was supposed to have been Dano. When he and Danault were traded for a betteran shot at the cup, it was already too far. Danault was having a solid season. Leddy and Saad actually got to play. Hayes and Johns were never given a real shot, Teuvo was bounced all over. Eventually Saad and Teuvo were going to be too expensive, but Danault, Dano, Johns, Hayes, never were the expensive choice, they were all replaced by veterans making more money.

I'm really not a fan of Bowman, much of his success is on the back of a team built by Dale Tallon

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to argue with success, but eventually not having guys like Pirri, Hayes, Danault, Dano, Ben Smith, Stephen Johns, Ryan Stanton, Adam Clendening filling these holes is going to bite him. We still have Dahlstrom and Forsling who played together in sweeden who are barely on the radar anymore. I dont think the league is gonna be kind to the teams that want to keep buying their players, its time to fill the roster thru the system.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Smith, always remember that OT winner to force game 7 vs Vancouver.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks still officially 3.07 over the cap, with bonus money due Panarin 2+ million, Rosival 100k and Teuvo 212K and still need to carry Scuderi's 1.5 million this season for their bad Trevor Daley decision.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to argue with success, but eventually not having guys like Pirri, Hayes, Danault, Dano, Ben Smith, Stephen Johns, Ryan Stanton, Adam Clendening filling these holes is going to bite him. We still have Dahlstrom and Forsling who played together in sweeden who are barely on the radar anymore. I dont think the league is gonna be kind to the teams that want to keep buying their players, its time to fill the roster thru the system.
Don't worry about Adam Clendenning, he wasn't as great as I made him out to be.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks are shopping Crawford.

What would you want in return? Would D-man prospect Stuart Percy (#25 overall in 2011 - currently in AHL, projects as a possible 3-4) and Toronto's 31st overall pick in 2016 get it done for you?

I can't see getting more value than that with his contract and teams knowing the Hawks are still in a cap crunch. Buffalo has also expressed interest.