• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bills sign Dareus to $108 million extension

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing for the Bills. One of the top-3 or so DT's in all of the league. Throw in because this is an extension it pretty much is a 7-year deal making his per year average looking very manageable. I'm actually hoping the Broncos try to get something done similar to this with Von Miller as I think his price tag will only go up after this upcoming season where he looks to break out.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing for the Bills. One of the top-3 or so DT's in all of the league. Throw in because this is an extension it pretty much is a 7-year deal making his per year average looking very manageable. I'm actually hoping the Broncos try to get something done similar to this with Von Miller as I think his price tag will only go up after this upcoming season where he looks to break out.

Von Miller to breakout? Is this 2012? Miller has already arrived, 49 sacks in his first 4 years is elite production - and would have been more if he had his head screwed on straight in 2013. Miller is the premiere pass rusher in football, with Justin Houston just a shade behind.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I forgot about JJ Watt. Miller is the second best pass rusher in football.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Von Miller to breakout? Is this 2012? Miller has already arrived, 49 sacks in his first 4 years is elite production - and would have been more if he had his head screwed on straight in 2013. Miller is the premiere pass rusher in football, with Justin Houston just a shade behind.

Ok I might have worded that wrong. Von Miller spent the entire off season getting into the best shape of his life and so far has been unblockable in practice and in preseason. I think this is the year that Miller can give Watt a run for his money as top defensive player in the league. While yes Miller has arrived he hasn't been as big of an impact as that of Watt but hey nobody has. So again that is what I meant by arrived in establishing himself not only as the best pass rusher in the league but as the best defensive player in the league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good player, as you say...probably top 3 interior DL...as we're seeing with Suh, McCoy, etc...these interior DL are getting paid...avg. $16 mil a yr though?

Harvin is a 1 yr guy, couple him with Watkins, Woods, Clay, and Shady BUF seems like they are truly a QB away from being a legit playoff team. If Taylor can play like RW...it might be this year but they will have to play with a low budget QB for a while I think.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dareus is bad ass. Wish the Broncos would have drafted him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good player, as you say...probably top 3 interior DL...as we're seeing with Suh, McCoy, etc...these interior DL are getting paid...avg. $16 mil a yr though?

Harvin is a 1 yr guy, couple him with Watkins, Woods, Clay, and Shady BUF seems like they are truly a QB away from being a legit playoff team. If Taylor can play like RW...it might be this year but they will have to play with a low budget QB for a while I think.

Well unless something drastic happened pretty sure that will be the case for the next few years where they won't be paying a premium QB. I can't see Tyrod costing a ton even if he has a decent year. You are right though if they had a legit QB this would be a top-5 team in the league right now in my opinion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Operation Lazy Haynesworth engaged

I hope the Bills can get out of that in two years when he gets fat and stoned and happy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well unless something drastic happened pretty sure that will be the case for the next few years where they won't be paying a premium QB. I can't see Tyrod costing a ton even if he has a decent year. You are right though if they had a legit QB this would be a top-5 team in the league right now in my opinion.

Rex is used to not having a big time arm @ QB so this is nothing new to him...if they don't win at least 9 games...don't you have to at least call TN and see what the price is for Mettenberger?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex is used to not having a big time arm @ QB so this is nothing new to him...if they don't win at least 9 games...don't you have to at least call TN and see what the price is for Mettenberger?

I'm surprised no one did or at least that nobody got a trade done as Mettenberger definitely looks like he belongs as an at least average starter and there are a few teams like the Bills that with an average QB are a playoff caliber team. I would say them, the Jets, and Texans are all teams that should have looked into that if they didn't. All have playoff caliber type defenses, decent OL's, and the Bills have a great RB while the other two could have decent run games. You put a competent QB onto those teams and I think they could give about any team a run for their money.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised no one did or at least that nobody got a trade done as Mettenberger definitely looks like he belongs as an at least average starter and there are a few teams like the Bills that with an average QB are a playoff caliber team. I would say them, the Jets, and Texans are all teams that should have looked into that if they didn't. All have playoff caliber type defenses, decent OL's, and the Bills have a great RB while the other two could have decent run games. You put a competent QB onto those teams and I think they could give about any team a run for their money.

Agreed...he's better than anybody NYJ, BUF or HOU have on their roster currently and the teams are probably too good overall to be in the running for the top QB next yr.

I think Mett is average right now and has better than average potential...NYJ really seems ideal because they have a solid OL which Mett is going to need.

Maybe the value was not there in trade, but at some point if you're one of these 3 teams...it might make sense overpay a tad with a 2nd rd pick.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...he's better than anybody NYJ, BUF or HOU have on their roster currently and the teams are probably too good overall to be in the running for the top QB next yr.

I think Mett is average right now and has better than average potential...NYJ really seems ideal because they have a solid OL which Mett is going to need.

Maybe the value was not there in trade, but at some point if you're one of these 3 teams...it might make sense overpay a tad with a 2nd rd pick.

There is no 2nd round pick player next year that would be able to impact that team as immediately and as much as Mettenburger in my opinion. Teams hold onto draft picks too tightly these days. I'm not saying give them all away but Mett is a cheap player to add to the team that is controlled for the next 3 years with Cap Hits under $1 million. By that point some of your big signings will be coming off contracts so if he pans out then you can pay the man big money. To me it is a no brainer type situation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no 2nd round pick player next year that would be able to impact that team as immediately and as much as Mettenburger in my opinion. Teams hold onto draft picks too tightly these days. I'm not saying give them all away but Mett is a cheap player to add to the team that is controlled for the next 3 years with Cap Hits under $1 million. By that point some of your big signings will be coming off contracts so if he pans out then you can pay the man big money. To me it is a no brainer type situation.

I can't expand on that in bold...says it all.

We shouldn't take this as the gospel so to speak because I have nothing to back it up, but I really believe Whiz wanted to take the DT, and the FO wanted Mariota...to appease him (who many think is on the hotseat) I think they made a decision to keep Mett this year.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't expand on that in bold...says it all.

We shouldn't take this as the gospel so to speak because I have nothing to back it up, but I really believe Whiz wanted to take the DT, and the FO wanted Mariota...to appease him (who many think is on the hotseat) I think they made a decision to keep Mett this year.

This is where the best run organizations are the type that the FO and the Coaching staff can have honest conversations without worrying that they are going to be fired for wanting something else than what the FO wants. Too many of these coaches these days are ruled by an iron fist when it comes to the FO and honestly a lot of those are made up of non-football type but more the money/business type. For them they look at a guy like Mariota and they see dollar signs. That doesn't mean more wins it just means more money. The coach looks at it as we could have gotten either a huge draft haul in a trade or the best player in the draft by most people's accounts while still having a starting caliber QB. This is why at least for me I am so glad the Broncos have a football guy in John Elway running the team. He knows what it takes to get a winning team put together more so than just one that brings in money but winning is 2nd on the list.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, I like it more than Suh's contract. Nearly same cash but an extra year on the contract. Dareus will be 32 by the time that expires and Suh will be 34 so I think the Bills are getting better value and Dareus stays with the same team.

Both have concerns (Suh with dirty play and Dareus with a 1 game substance abuse suspension) so I see equal risks in both.

Dareus and Suh are top 3 at the position but I feel the Bucs get the best value out of all 3 DT deals in Gerald McCoy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where the best run organizations are the type that the FO and the Coaching staff can have honest conversations without worrying that they are going to be fired for wanting something else than what the FO wants. Too many of these coaches these days are ruled by an iron fist when it comes to the FO and honestly a lot of those are made up of non-football type but more the money/business type. For them they look at a guy like Mariota and they see dollar signs. That doesn't mean more wins it just means more money. The coach looks at it as we could have gotten either a huge draft haul in a trade or the best player in the draft by most people's accounts while still having a starting caliber QB. This is why at least for me I am so glad the Broncos have a football guy in John Elway running the team. He knows what it takes to get a winning team put together more so than just one that brings in money but winning is 2nd on the list.

idk where the dysfunction starts with the Titans, but Bud Adams' daughter is in part or whole owner of the team now I understand...Underwood is essentially the day to day CEO and Webster the GM (guy that hired Whisenhunt) just last year...granted they sucked big time LY but hotseat already tells me that maybe the GM is too and the decision came from higher than the GM...who knows.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmm, I like it more than Suh's contract. Nearly same cash but an extra year on the contract. Dareus will be 32 by the time that expires and Suh will be 34 so I think the Bills are getting better value and Dareus stays with the same team.

Both have concerns (Suh with dirty play and Dareus with a 1 game substance abuse suspension) so I see equal risks in both.

Dareus and Suh are top 3 at the position but I feel the Bucs get the best value out of all 3 DT deals in Gerald McCoy.

IMO...in terms value, this deal has the best potential to go south...not because Dareus can't play, but the sack #s are probably going to back come down under 10 (say 6 to 8) he's going to look very expensive after a season or 2 with that kind of production going 9-7.

Now if he's causing Mario to get 4 or 5 extra sacks and they are winning 10-11 games a year and making run in the playoffs...he's still going to be expensive, but it's worth it if you win.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: I'm an idiot, I forgot about JJ Watt. Miller is the second best pass rusher in football.

That is argumentative, Quinn has had more sacks, more sacks in a season, more forced fumbles, more pass deflections these last three years than Miller.

I'm also glad we don't have to pay Aaron Donald for a few years.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be an interesting discussion on what Dontari Poe's camp is going to want as a NT- provided there are no longterm complications from back surgery. The Chiefs have plenty of 2015-16 cap if it's anything remotely reasonable.