• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Biggest draft busts

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones... I do recall the transfer but didn't remember the health condition. Also recall you being fond of Ogletree that year.

Burns... It was painfully obvious that they drafted a square peg to fill a round hole. We discussed it at length many times over that they drafted a raw, press-cover kid to play zone. He was touted as smart, had a good story and was an easy kid to root for. But it was a terrible fit and a pure gamble.
Jones was spinal stenosis iirc.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers = Jamaine Stephens (OT) and Limas Sweed (WR)
If looking at 2nd round picks I would argue Ricardo Colclough was a bigger bust.

Going on the 2004 draft it did have some big busts: JP Losman, Robert Gallery and Ahmed Carroll.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time for this list, can I post picks that worked to save time?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't really think of any, honestly.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Junkin, Courtney Brown, Tim Couch, Trent Richardson, Gerald Warren, Johnny Manziel, William Green, Justin Gilbert, Barkevious Mingo

There has been so many lol
I'd have to say Junkin, Gilbert and Manziel can separate from the rest. Others at least had some success (some still in league).

Not sure of your age, but can go way back and add a guy named Fair Hooker. Also some between Junkin and the others - Vardell, Langham and Powell.

Ugh.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the infamous Bo/Boz play. Boz still stopped him, Bo only got 2-3 yards... just happened to be a TD. Bo would've ran over most linebackers in the league on that play. Lynch would've run over any LBer 1/1 5 years ago.

If Bo had blown through him, knocked him to the ground, and gone in standing on his feet, then sure...

One of the most overrated Bo Jackson highlights.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never understood the infamous Bo/Boz play. Boz still stopped him, Bo only got 2-3 yards... just happened to be a TD. Bo would've ran over most linebackers in the league on that play. Lynch would've run over any LBer 1/1 5 years ago.

If Bo had blown through him, knocked him to the ground, and gone in standing on his feet, then sure...

i think it stood out because Boz was such an over-the-top shit talker, and people loved seeing him getting scored on like that.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it stood out because Boz was such an over-the-top shit talker, and people loved seeing him getting scored on like that.

Eh that's a good point.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this was made so popular not because of Bo but because so many wanted to see Boz fail.

But you are spot on. Not like it happened at the 5 and he ran over him and scored.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to say Junkin, Gilbert and Manziel can separate from the rest. Others at least had some success (some still in league).

Not sure of your age, but can go way back and add a guy named Fair Hooker. Also some between Junkin and the others - Vardell, Langham and Powell.

Ugh.

I didn't go too far back to the guys I never saw play. Like Ernie Davis, RB from Cuse. Most of these guys are more recent and there are plenty to pick from lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Junkin, Courtney Brown, Tim Couch, Trent Richardson, Gerald Warren, Johnny Manziel, William Green, Justin Gilbert, Barkevious Mingo

There has been so many lol

I think every team has a bushel full...lol

Of this list...Tim Couch was probably the biggest bust...I remember the big armed kid from KY.

Manziel was a bust, but I'm guessing he was typecast as a bust predraft by probably 40% of NFL fans. I know I questioned whether he should even go in the 1st round.

I liked Mingo going out of LSU...last longer than your typical bust, his problem was he was never a pass rusher, but was not comfortable playing off the ball.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of this list...Tim Couch was probably the biggest bust...I remember the big armed kid from KY.

Manziel was a bust, but I'm guessing he was typecast as a bust predraft by probably 40% of NFL fans. I know I questioned whether he should even go in the 1st round.

I liked Mingo going out of LSU...last longer than your typical bust, his problem was he was never a pass rusher, but was not comfortable playing off the ball.
I'd actually make an argument Couch was at least OK. His issue was he was beat up physically, which is not on him. Had a solid 2002 season and led them to playoffs with a number of close wins against solid teams.

manziel no doubt a bust...what is funny is many mocks had him going top 5.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd actually make an argument Couch was at least OK. His issue was he was beat up physically, which is not on him. Had a solid 2002 season and led them to playoffs with a number of close wins against solid teams.

manziel no doubt a bust...what is funny is many mocks had him going top 5.

Agree to "ok"...but we hold #1 overall QBs to a higher standard than ok. If you're a one contract player with the team that drafted you...maybe not the biggest, but that normally spells big bust.

JM...I think early on it was more media driven...as the draft drew nearer the football people started putting him lower and lower. Aside from DAL, and Jerrah's son talked him off the Manziel ledge...considering OAK was the next team to take a QB in that draft...makes you wonder if CLE had not taken him if he would've gone in the 1st round at all.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah Manziel was just on the list bc he such a popular name, most think of him less as a bust and more as just a fuck up that was drafted too high.
Mingo never had a true position for most of his career, basically like he just didn't have the right fit but lasted longer than most. Warren was another guy that lasted a long time in the league but his peak was just not very good.

Couch the biggest bust on this list.

Gilbert was an awful pick.

Trent Richardson had that great rookie year but than drastically just fell apart. Body broke down so not a typical "bust" pick but he just had so many expectations after the Heisman and that rookie year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to "ok"...but we hold #1 overall QBs to a higher standard than ok. If you're a one contract player with the team that drafted you...maybe not the biggest, but that normally spells big bust.

JM...I think early on it was more media driven...as the draft drew nearer the football people started putting him lower and lower. Aside from DAL, and Jerrah's son talked him off the Manziel ledge...considering OAK was the next team to take a QB in that draft...makes you wonder if CLE had not taken him if he would've gone in the 1st round at all.
OK was due to his circumstances. Put him on a team that protected him and had some talent I think he could have been a solid QB. Not elite, but solid. If that makes him a bust so be it