• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 talking with Cincy

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO, you are saying that if a great coach such as Holgorsen can't beat IAST and Kansas, NOONE can?:pound::pound::pound:

There you go DAD… I like seeing you throw Dana some love!

Not sure I'm saying that NOONE can beat ISU or KU… but, I am saying if Marshall played this year in the Big 12… that by the time they got to ISU and KU at season's end… I think the toll on their team would be significant enough that they wouldn't be favored to win either of those games.

I watched Marshall play the CUSA game, and was not impressed by anything I saw.

If Marshall was in the Pac 12, SEC, Big 12 or B1G this year, they would have finished near the bottom. Like I said, they probably finish middle of the pack in the ACC simply because the ACC sucks so bad…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in a place I could not type yesterday...

My point by showing the scores that I did was to illustrate the difference between Marshall and another team Boise St that was brought up. Boise St had a nice little run there for a while, they scheduled a "5" team early beat them and then was having success beating another one during bowl season. Marshall could not even do that...most years they did not beat or even compete very well with what are now the power "5" schools. They could not get their roster ready for this type of competition. Even in the glory years 98-99 they had top notch front line talent....they beat a 1-10 South Carolina team 24-21 and a 6-6 Clemson team 13-10...there is no doubt in my mind Marshall would never be a team worth adding....If you want to throw out a blanket statement and say "the could compete" sure any team that steps on the field can compete, but in my opinion there is no evidence Marshall right now could step into a power 5 conf and add anything. Still wondering why we are talking Marshall this sh$t is never going to happen.

Whats the word.....................

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is about speculation, about thoughts on conference expansion. Several media outlets have mentioned Cincy, Memphis, UCF, BYU and Marshall as possible teams to include. DC, the real problem facing the B12 right now is not only does Marshall not add to the league, no other easily obtainable team does either. BYU is the only one of the group mentioned that has any sort of following outside of their region, but comes with their Sunday ban on sports. Tell me what else there is to talk about right now, we are in a holding pattern leading up to the bowl games, and until the B12 gets off their ass, there will be speculation about expansion. WVU needs the league to expand EAST, and Marshall is a legitimate team to talk about, with the plane crash and movie based on it, they have a more national footprint than most other teams mentioned.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, why not? TCU came from a mid major league and won the league in the third year. Cinci has been mentioned, and I like the idea of Marshall at least as well as them.
The B12 made a couple of screw ups when us and TCU came on board: 1) should have took UL at the same time, 2) should have gone HARD after free shoes and Clemson, those two moves would have put a HUGE crimp into the ACC, maybe a deathblow as a big league football conference.

Because your missing the "BIG" picture when it comes to a conference.......all your worried about is whether the conference figure out teams to add to get a friggin football championship...but believe it or not DAD its bigger than just making the math work in FOOTBALL......

So let's take Marshall as an example...What your suggesting is for the conference to say " Hey Marshall, your athletic program currently brings in about 8 to 10 million a year...how about this deal you help us get the math right so we can have a conference championship game and we in return will set your athletic department up with a budget of 85 million per year!" how's that deal?!?! ....and what else does your school add?? An enrollment of 13k students vs an average enrollment of the other schools of 24k?..hey no problem!!..TCU only has 10K..but the fact that the education you get at TCU is one of the best in the country vs your non-ranking is no big deal!..don't worry about it!...and hey your endowment is only 92 million don't worry the other members are all over a billion so I'm sure they will let you slide. Hey and you have no future plans to grow the University...again..no worries!..as long as we have our championship football game the rest doesn't matter!!"...

Insert UCF, CINNCY and another team..except for BYU in this scenario!.....

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all missing the "big picture" Slaton, because very little of it makes ANY sense, does Rutgers belong in the B11, no, does Nebraska? no, does WVU belong in the B12, no. it is all based on tv sets and potential money gained. As I said, the B12 is in a hard spot, they did nothing but the minimum when us and TCU came in, the league is apparently preparing now for a knee jerk reaction. Marshall has a 17,000 enrollment and a $102M endowment, by the way, and if you think academics, enrollment, or even athletic prowess come into play in these moves you are sadly mistaken. This thread is pure speculation, no need to get your panties all wadded up.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am against Cincy....I want UCF and BYU if we add

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the problem right now, DC, there is no slam dunk no brainer to get, the teams on the table all have baggage. just the name of UCF says bush league to some people, once you put a directional name on a school, the perception is weak. BYU with their Sunday ban, it would be hard to schedule Olympic sports. The B12 fucked up by not going hard after free shoes and Clemson (but they may not have taken us if they had???????) and UL to go straight to 12 and not miss a beat.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are all missing the "big picture" Slaton, because very little of it makes ANY sense, does Rutgers belong in the B11, no, does Nebraska? no, does WVU belong in the B12, no. it is all based on tv sets and potential money gained. As I said, the B12 is in a hard spot, they did nothing but the minimum when us and TCU came in, the league is apparently preparing now for a knee jerk reaction. Marshall has a 17,000 enrollment and a $102M endowment, by the way, and if you think academics, enrollment, or even athletic prowess come into play in these moves you are sadly mistaken. This thread is pure speculation, no need to get your panties all wadded up.

Just so we are not splitting hairs....

Endowment, $92.5 million ... Marshall University is a coeducational public research university in Huntington, West Virginia, United States founded in 1837,

Students 13,718
Undergraduates 9,889
Postgraduates 3,430

Rutgers and Nebraska met the AAU requirement of the Big10 so yes academics is a big deal, if not Wv would have been asked to join...

Nebraska Endowment 1.1 Billion

Rutgers Endowment: 783 Million

Enrollment:

Nebraska 24K
Rutgers: 65K

So yes, I do think these things play a huge part in adding members....there is no way the University of Texas or OU would allow a new member acceptance if they don't bring more to the table than a football team....DAD at the end of the day Athletic Programs around the country either are barely breaking even or losing money...the institutions need to be able to provide enhanced value to the collective....its the only reason Wv was added...it brought more than just a football team to the Big12

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marshall University | Best College | US News
Marshall University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do not know how schools count enrollment, but I've seen Marshall anywhere from 13,000-19,000

AND, Nebraska was NOT AAU when they joined the B11. They were given AAU status AFTER they were in the league. The B12 was falling apart, and the B11 grabbed up Nebraska to get to 12 teams, they then took UMD and Rutgers to grow the B11 network. The SEC grabbed Mizzou and TAM to get TVs.

WVU was added to the B12 because we were the best option to a desperate league, the B12 HAD to have ten schools or their media deals would have been voided. They took us because we had the best athletic namebrand available at the time.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not know how schools count enrollment, but I've seen Marshall anywhere from 13,000-19,000

AND, Nebraska was NOT AAU when they joined the B11. They were given AAU status AFTER they were in the league. The B12 was falling apart, and the B11 grabbed up Nebraska to get to 12 teams, they then took UMD and Rutgers to grow the B11 network. The SEC grabbed Mizzou and TAM to get TVs.

WVU was added to the B12 because we were the best option to a desperate league, the B12 HAD to have ten schools or their media deals would have been voided. They took us because we had the best athletic namebrand available at the time.

Dad I think you have that backwards Nebraska was AAU when they joined lost AAU after they joined.

Removed from the AAU.[7] Chancellor Harvey Perlman claimed that the lack of an on-campus medical school (the Medical Center is a separate campus of the University of Nebraska system) and the AAU's disregarding of USDA-funded agricultural research in its metrics hurt the university's performance in the association's internal ranking system.[6] In 2010 Perlman stated that had Nebraska not been part of the AAU, the Big Ten would likely not have invited it to become the athletic conference's 12th member,[2] although a lack of support for Nebraska's AAU membership by some Big Ten members "call into question the pretext on which Nebraska was invited to join [the Big Ten]."[11]Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They could have taken Louisville, Cincy, BYU, Houston if they were that desperate.....

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Nebraska lost its AAU status in 2011 (1909-2011)...so they had it when they were asked to join lost it after joining.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Nebraska lost its AAU status in 2011 (1909-2011)...so they had it when they were asked to join lost it after joining.

My bad, I thought they were given AAU when they joined, but I remember now that they were AAU and lost it about the time they joined the B11, Sorry.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have taken Louisville, Cincy, BYU, Houston if they were that desperate.....

AS I SAID, WVU was the best name at the time that was attainable..............

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad I think you have that backwards Nebraska was AAU when they joined lost AAU after they joined.

Removed from the AAU.[7] Chancellor Harvey Perlman claimed that the lack of an on-campus medical school (the Medical Center is a separate campus of the University of Nebraska system) and the AAU's disregarding of USDA-funded agricultural research in its metrics hurt the university's performance in the association's internal ranking system.[6] In 2010 Perlman stated that had Nebraska not been part of the AAU, the Big Ten would likely not have invited it to become the athletic conference's 12th member,[2] although a lack of support for Nebraska's AAU membership by some Big Ten members "call into question the pretext on which Nebraska was invited to join [the Big Ten]."[11]Association of American Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did not even see your post:10:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, I thought they were given AAU when they joined, but I remember now that they were AAU and lost it about the time they joined the B11, Sorry.

Wow… DAD admitted he was wrong! This is a first!!

Was it hard for you to do so?

Well done… :clap:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing as 99% of what is discussed on this board is opinion, and people give "facts" from websites that in reality are just someone else's opinion, there is not much to be wrong about, BUT I was wrong on the Nebraska AAU status, and freely admit it, no big deal.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Big12 is just waiting til the ACC implodes when it comes time to start paying the players and will pick up some programs from them.
Those programs that don't support their teams in the ACC don't make enough money to keep up and something will have to give.
FSU and Clemson ( and prob a few more ACC schools) are still in the crosshairs of the Big12, it's just a matter of time.
It's the only thing that makes sense, if it were as simple as just picking up a team or two it would have already happened.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JMO, but I understand why FSU and Clemson remained a part of the ACC. For altruistic reasons… the ACC is a much more prestigious conference from an academic standpoint. The reality of this is easy to understand, there is a ton more money coming into universities from research and grants each year than anything football revenues may bring. As long as the ACC can remain competitive with TV contracts, schools like FSU and Clemson would be foolish to leave for the Big 12 solely for football money.

The ACC currently provides the easiest path to the NC. Just as the BE once offered this to its members, the torch has been passed. Why would any ACC school want to move to a tougher conference and decrease its chance to make the playoffs?

The Big 12 presents one of the most difficult paths for its teams due to the round robin. No unbalanced schedules… no opportunity for one or more of its members to miss playing the best from the other division. No Big 12 team has been able to go through the conference undefeated since round robin play began.

I am not sure if a current P5 school will choose to disapprove funding of student athletes or not. I read all the internet chatter about what schools might choose not to do so, but I personally have trouble believing that would be the choice.