• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 talking with Cincy

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DAD brings up some very solid points.

The Bowden reference is spot on… he went on the road and challenged the blue bloods… and beat them. He earned respect… so much so that the SEC was willing to invite them to join. Bowden took the easier path to the NC by going to the ACC… sign of things to come.

DAD brings up another good reference with TCU. Here is a great example of letting all of college football understand there is a huge difference between playing in the mid-major and the Power 5. Look at how his team struggled its first two years. They mirrored WVU. They have a great coach. He earned his 10th conference COY award in 14 years this week.

You don't have to look any further than TCU, and see right now… today… Marshall would not finish as a middle of the pack or better competing in a Power 5 conference. TCU came from a much stronger conference in which they played and won BCS bowls… and they couldn't do it.

Once again, it is a joke to think Marshall could compete in a Power 5… well… maybe the ACC. That conference sucks… middle of the pack wouldn't be a major hurdle against the likes of Pitt, WF, and VT…

GP is a fine fine coach but TCU had more in common with WVU than coming from an easier conference. They lost several players (I don't remember the number ) to a drug investigation about the time they entered the Big12 depleting their numbers, similar to our own depth issues. Give Marshall the right coach ( FTR I think Doc would hold is own on the recruiting trail with anyone from any cinference), Big12 money , and I believe they would do just fine.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GP is a fine fine coach but TCU had more in common with WVU than coming from an easier conference. They lost several players (I don't remember the number ) to a drug investigation about the time they entered the Big12 depleting their numbers, similar to our own depth issues. Give Marshall the right coach ( FTR I think Doc would hold is own on the recruiting trail with anyone from any cinference), Big12 money , and I believe they would do just fine.

I don't disagree that a good HC... Big 12 money.... Combined with recruiting depth wouldn't allow Marshall to compete. However, that wasn't DAD's point. He said Marshall could compete today. They didn't need to increase the number of scholarship players to compete in a P5 conference right now.

Let's not get too far off track...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU has one major advantage that WVU does not have that makes them completely different IMO now they are in the same power conf.....they sit in some of the best recruiting grounds in the country. Marshall as far as recruiting is WVU with even less....

Why are we even having this discussion...MARSHALL is never going to be in our conference, if they are it is when we join conference USA.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree that a good HC... Big 12 money.... Combined with recruiting depth wouldn't allow Marshall to compete. However, that wasn't DAD's point. He said Marshall could compete today. They didn't need to increase the number of scholarship players to compete in a P5 conference right now.

Let's not get too far off track...

Every Div 1A team has the same number of schollys available, so I do not get the reference to increasing numbers. You are comparing Marshalls record against teams that were at the top of their respective BSC leagues at the time, again, neglecting that they would also be playing the dregs as well. I give Marshall hats off for scheduling strong OOC opponents, they had a "power 5" team on the schedule this year, but were bought out of it. You put great stock in the polls, and the committee, and they seem to think Marshall is a team above more than half of the "power 5" teams............

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU has one major advantage that WVU does not have that makes them completely different IMO now they are in the same power conf.....they sit in some of the best recruiting grounds in the country. Marshall as far as recruiting is WVU with even less....

Why are we even having this discussion...MARSHALL is never going to be in our conference, if they are it is when we join conference USA.

Cinci is being discussed as a serious candidate for inclusion in the B12 as well, If they are worthy, then Marshall is more than worthy, better program from top to bottom, better facilities, better tradition, the ONLY thing UC has over Marshall is TV market size.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every Div 1A team has the same number of schollys available, so I do not get the reference to increasing numbers. You are comparing Marshalls record against teams that were at the top of their respective BSC leagues at the time, again, neglecting that they would also be playing the dregs as well. I give Marshall hats off for scheduling strong OOC opponents, they had a "power 5" team on the schedule this year, but were bought out of it. You put great stock in the polls, and the committee, and they seem to think Marshall is a team above more than half of the "power 5" teams............

:wtf2:

I used your example… TCU. I have no idea what you're referring to with my comparison of Marshall to other top BCS leagues.

Where was TCU ranked when playing in the MWC the year before they joined the Big 12?

You think Dana can't coach because he had the same record in the Big 12 as TCU's HC.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:

I used your example… TCU. I have no idea what you're referring to with my comparison of Marshall to other top BCS leagues.

Where was TCU ranked when playing in the MWC the year before they joined the Big 12?

You think Dana can't coach because he had the same record in the Big 12 as TCU's HC.

Same record????????? REALLY???? TCU was 8-1 and won the league, WVU was 5-4 and tied for 4th place.............:wtf2:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same record????????? REALLY???? TCU was 8-1 and won the league, WVU was 5-4 and tied for 4th place…..........:wtf2:

Nice job DAD. Obviously you have no response to support your BS.

You knew exactly what I meant… and, it wasn't this year's record. :lame:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this BS about Marshall being able to play with the Big Boys… here is their all-time record against the majors…

College Football Trivia

Since 2000, they've won 3 games against the majors.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this BS about Marshall being able to play with the Big Boys… here is their all-time record against the majors…

College Football Trivia

Since 2000, they've won 3 games against the majors.

WOW you are sure to piss off the SMU peeps with this post!

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is REALLY laughable is some people are so tied up in their new found conference homeruns that they have forgotten that TEAMS play ball, not leagues. No Marshall could not beat the Ohio state's of the world routinely, but I sat in the shoe and watch them come within 3 points, and they absolutely would beat the bottom of any of the "power 5" and to say otherwise shows bias like you claim is shown toward the SEC. Your the one unbelievable, many kids get hurt in practice, in games against 1AA teams, and against SEC teams. Injury is more from poor conditioning and bad luck than the opponent, but yes Alabama has stronger kids THAT HAVE BEEN CONDITIONED WELL.

Well you know me I always like to add some actual data tothese arguments. Marshall hanging in theP5 is kind of laughable, but to me more laughable since you are basing it on aseason where they did not play one P5 school. So let’s go back and look how they did against the P5 schools over aperiod of time.

WVU 2008 L

Wisky 2008 L

WVU 2009 L

VaTech 2009 L

WVU 2010 L

OhioSt 2010 L

LVille 2011 W

VaTech 2011 L

WVU 2011 L

Purdue 2012 L

WVU 2012 L

UMD 2013 W

VaTech 2013 L

Points Scored

Marshall 229

Opponents 462

Avg Margin of Victory 7 (2Wins)

Avg Margin of Defeat 23 (11 Lost)

I don't always agree with DAD but I "THINK" I understand some of his logic. Correct me if I'm wrong DAD. He's saying that Marshall could compete with the programs who perennially finish in the middle of pack or lower in the P5 conferences. The information that you provided above only really includes one of "those" type of teams in Purdue. The rest of the programs usually finish in the top of their conferences.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice job DAD. Obviously you have no response to support your BS.

You knew exactly what I meant… and, it wasn't this year's record. :lame:

Sooooooooooo, I'm supposed to read your mind????????? No BS at all, you seem to equate "power 5" to mean the league winners, Marshall can compete TODAY for the middle of the pack in most leagues, most years. YOU said TCU and WVU had the same record in the B12, THAT is BS.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they lost to Purdue so they can't even compete with them

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh at anyone who puts Marshall up against schools from the Power 5. Marshall couldn't even skate through a conference as weak as CUSA, and someone wants to tell us they're better than half of the Power 5?

Marshall has some talent, but they don't have depth to their talent.

You would think WVU fans would see the difference between playing a grind… compared to playing one or two tough teams a year.

Especially makes me laugh to see DAD talk about the danger of injury being no different between Towson and Bama… when he was one of the outspoken about his concerns of injury loss this year due to starting the season against them.

Unbelievable…

Sooooooooooo, I'm supposed to read your mind????????? No BS at all, you seem to equate "power 5" to mean the league winners, Marshall can compete TODAY for the middle of the pack in most leagues, most years. YOU said TCU and WVU had the same record in the B12, THAT is BS.

OK DAD…. you always want to give us English lessons with your posts… insinuating we fail to understand their true intent. So, I ask you to look at my original response to you regarding Marshall, and tell me how one is to infer I equate Power 5 to mean just the league winners?

You are correct DAD… me saying WVU and TCU have the same record is BS. I did not type out my response well. What I said was BS. I wanted to say you called out our coach for two years when he had an identical record to Patterson. This year, you came around and fell in love with Dana… we all understood this. Now that we've established you're a Dana Lover… let's move back to the point of discussion…

WVU and TCU… winners of conferences that were deeper and rated higher than CUSA currently finds itself… struggled to finish in the middle of the pack in the Big 12 their first year. Last year, both finished near the bottom of the pack.

But, you believe Marshall could finish in the middle of the pack this year… most years… when they couldn't even win a conference as weak as CUSA until this year. Their SOS was ranked near the bottom of FBS, that is why they couldn't earn a rank from the CFP Committee, and why a Boise St. team with two losses was ranked ahead of them the one week they were in the top 25.

Yep… I see your logic…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SO, you are saying that if a great coach such as Holgorsen can't beat IAST and Kansas, NOONE can?:pound::pound::pound:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BUT, last year I heard how that 20 point losses meant you were competitive??????

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me make sure I understand the gist of this diatribe by DAD...he wants to add Marshall as a full Member into the Big12?????:L

:what::what::what:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me make sure I understand the gist of this diatribe by DAD...he wants to add Marshall as a full Member into the Big12?????:L

:what::what::what:

Hell, why not? TCU came from a mid major league and won the league in the third year. Cinci has been mentioned, and I like the idea of Marshall at least as well as them.
The B12 made a couple of screw ups when us and TCU came on board: 1) should have took UL at the same time, 2) should have gone HARD after free shoes and Clemson, those two moves would have put a HUGE crimp into the ACC, maybe a deathblow as a big league football conference.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't always agree with DAD but I "THINK" I understand some of his logic. Correct me if I'm wrong DAD. He's saying that Marshall could compete with the programs who perennially finish in the middle of pack or lower in the P5 conferences. The information that you provided above only really includes one of "those" type of teams in Purdue. The rest of the programs usually finish in the top of their conferences.

indeed, man, no one is trying to say Marshall would beat the elite programs, but they can damn sure compete with the middle and bottom of any league. Some on here try and act as if every team who plays in a big league is Alabama. There are good teams and shitty teams in EVERY league. As I said, I sat in the shoe a few years ago and watched Marshall play OSU to a virtual tie, OSU needed a last second FG to win.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you want to hang your argument on one game, Michigan lost to APPY ST, VPI lost to JMU, Alabama lost to Utah, Oklahoma lost to Boise, so using your logic, Michigan couldn't compete in the Southern conference, VPI couldn't compete in 1AA, get real.