• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big12 talking with Cincy

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as all the teams have the same amount of scholarships, it doesn't matter if you play one game or 100, and players are just as likely to get hurt in a game against Towson as they are playing Alabama. I am tiring of this crap that a team is great due to the league they play in, right now, today, Marshall is better, bigger, and stronger than half or more of the teams from the "power 5", yet people try to say that playing IAST is harder.........

that's a great point too. doesn't seem to kill ND ect...

agree on Marshall and some of the others but that's the classifications that have been put in place, we (WVU/B12)cant change that at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh at anyone who puts Marshall up against schools from the Power 5. Marshall couldn't even skate through a conference as weak as CUSA, and someone wants to tell us they're better than half of the Power 5?

Marshall has some talent, but they don't have depth to their talent.

You would think WVU fans would see the difference between playing a grind… compared to playing one or two tough teams a year.

Especially makes me laugh to see DAD talk about the danger of injury being no different between Towson and Bama… when he was one of the outspoken about his concerns of injury loss this year due to starting the season against them.

Unbelievable…

I think they are comparable head to head for sure and prob would have comparable results if thrown into the B12 (speaking of Marshall). I can absolutely see them pulling an upset or maybe two then looking good in some loses and then suffering from lack of depth ect. and finishing with 2-3 wins after ooc . Same thing as ISU did this year :noidea:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? How did ND fare this year?

suffered some injuries and got punished on the field as a result but there has been other years when they went to the NC game too. No question it would catch up to you sometimes but...that's football

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? How did ND fare this year?

How'd they fare last year? They play one of the toughest schedules year in and out and are top 5 in wins and percentage all time. The more you post the more it shows just how much you are blinded by homerism.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is also laughable that some people want to act like playing in the SEC, you play ,Bama every week, in the B12 Oklahoma every week, in the B11, OSU each week, there are also the IAST, Indiana's, Vandys that are well below the upper mid majors.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
suffered some injuries and got punished on the field as a result but there has been other years when they went to the NC game too. No question it would catch up to you sometimes but...that's football

Not disagreeing with you about injuries and football. But, there should be no argument that playing a difficult schedule puts a strain on your team. The wear and tear take its toll.

There is a reason WVU could successfully navigate the BE with 9-4 records playing 40 players in a game and not having a full compliment of scholarship players.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd they fare last year? They play one of the toughest schedules year in and out and are top 5 in wins and percentage all time. The more you post the more it shows just how much you are blinded by homerism.

Homerism?

ND did not always have a great academic reputation? Were you aware of this? How has ND fared since the scholarship limit went into affect and their academic standards were increased?

Man... you are so hell bent on trying to prove me wrong all the time that you make yourself look foolish.

Do you have the list of Stewart's DL recruits for me yet?

Pathetic...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is hell bent on proving who wrong? I hear about blanket statements from you and your three amigos all the time, and you say Marshall couldn't compete with ANY "power 5" team. Pretty weak.......

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are REALLY saying that Marshall can't play with Indiana, Purdue, IAST, Kansas, vandy, wake, etc, fucking laughable. :lol::lol:

Indiana and Purdue do not represent 1/2 or more of the Big 10, nor do the other you list. Marshall is having a good season this year but as usual, you are hinging your stupid blanket just on this season. Keep cooking the spaghetti. As I said, I was with you about your choice of teams that would be ideal for the Big 12, didn't agree with your trade idea (didn't make as much of huff as you did in your reply) and feel that the Marshall claim is wrong. No need to get your panties in a bunch, Sunshine.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is hell bent on proving who wrong? I hear about blanket statements from you and your three amigos all the time, and you say Marshall couldn't compete with ANY "power 5" team. Pretty weak.......

Not even close to what I said...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a lil more thought I might want to walk back my stance on Marshall and some of the other non P5's. I don't know about the others but I know the Big12 has academic standards that prevent WVU from getting certain players that Marshall can right now, they have a kid on their roster right now that didn't have the grades to get into WVU but could make it into Marshall, we nearly lost another to them just this last class but he changed his mind last minute and went JC and still plans to be a Mountaineer in the future.
Point is, all things equal we havnt seen what Marshall (and again some of the others too, not picking on Marshall) can do on a level playing field. My gut says they would prob be similar to some of the stinkers at the P5 level ... but I admit its just my gut reaction, I believe that if a program gets the right hire at HC and has the commitment from the school that they will be successful, maybe not to the point of one of the "blue bloods" in CFB but at least to the level of most CFB programs of having a nice run here and there then falling off for awhile.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After a lil more thought I might want to walk back my stance on Marshall and some of the other non P5's. I don't know about the others but I know the Big12 has academic standards that prevent WVU from getting certain players that Marshall can right now, they have a kid on their roster right now that didn't have the grades to get into WVU but could make it into Marshall, we nearly lost another to them just this last class but he changed his mind last minute and went JC and still plans to be a Mountaineer in the future.
Point is, all things equal we havnt seen what Marshall (and again some of the others too, not picking on Marshall) can do on a level playing field. My gut says they would prob be similar to some of the stinkers at the P5 level ... but I admit its just my gut reaction, I believe that if a program gets the right hire at HC and has the commitment from the school that they will be successful, maybe not to the point of one of the "blue bloods" in CFB but at least to the level of most CFB programs of having a nice run here and there then falling off for awhile.

You are correct in that Gold, the right HC is the key, Bowden took a joke of a program on the road to all the big boys he could schedule and turned it into an elite program. And yes, there are different standards that kids have to meet at different leagues and schools, look at Moss, ND wanted him, but he didn't make the cut, free shoes wanted him and he didn't make the cut, so Marshall snatched him up. BUT, does anyone remember Andy Katzenmoyer?? The big boys take plenty of kids who almost never go to class. I stand by my statement that Marshall could compete many years to be in the middle of the pack in most of the "power 5", AND a team like Indiana would struggle in ANY league, I also think that Boise could be at the same level in a "power 5" league as we are now. Look at TCU, they are a perfect example, great coach, won their "mid major" league and some of the big time games they played, joined a "power" conference, had a few growing pains, and won the league in year three, while our "fans" are still making excuses. To flippantly say that Marshall couldn't compete against teams purely based on which league they play in is ridiculous.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well you know me I always like to add some actual data tothese arguments. Marshall hanging in theP5 is kind of laughable, but to me more laughable since you are basing it on aseason where they did not play one P5 school. So let’s go back and look how they did against the P5 schools over aperiod of time.

WVU 2008 L

Wisky 2008 L

WVU 2009 L

VaTech 2009 L

WVU 2010 L

OhioSt 2010 L

LVille 2011 W

VaTech 2011 L

WVU 2011 L

Purdue 2012 L

WVU 2012 L

UMD 2013 W

VaTech 2013 L

Points Scored

Marshall 229

Opponents 462

Avg Margin of Victory 7 (2Wins)

Avg Margin of Defeat 23 (11 Lost)

So yes they could field a team in the P5 leagues, probablywear uniforms and everything, but in my humble opinion they would never add anyvalue to anyone’s league. They do notfield the athletes required to play in the big 5 and they also do not have anyof the other factors that it takes to play in this league facilities etcetc. Laugh all you want at thisstatement, but I would take our worse team this year in Iowa St and bet theycould beat Marshall. The one thing I havelearned with our transition is that the athletes are different…watching theMarshall teams this year and the Cyclones I have no doubt that the strength ofIowa St would beat down what Marshall fields for 4 quarters. Not stating this as fact just my opinion.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct in that Gold, the right HC is the key, Bowden took a joke of a program on the road to all the big boys he could schedule and turned it into an elite program. And yes, there are different standards that kids have to meet at different leagues and schools, look at Moss, ND wanted him, but he didn't make the cut, free shoes wanted him and he didn't make the cut, so Marshall snatched him up. BUT, does anyone remember Andy Katzenmoyer?? The big boys take plenty of kids who almost never go to class. I stand by my statement that Marshall could compete many years to be in the middle of the pack in most of the "power 5", AND a team like Indiana would struggle in ANY league, I also think that Boise could be at the same level in a "power 5" league as we are now. Look at TCU, they are a perfect example, great coach, won their "mid major" league and some of the big time games they played, joined a "power" conference, had a few growing pains, and won the league in year three, while our "fans" are still making excuses. To flippantly say that Marshall couldn't compete against teams purely based on which league they play in is ridiculous.

DAD brings up some very solid points.

The Bowden reference is spot on… he went on the road and challenged the blue bloods… and beat them. He earned respect… so much so that the SEC was willing to invite them to join. Bowden took the easier path to the NC by going to the ACC… sign of things to come.

DAD brings up another good reference with TCU. Here is a great example of letting all of college football understand there is a huge difference between playing in the mid-major and the Power 5. Look at how his team struggled its first two years. They mirrored WVU. They have a great coach. He earned his 10th conference COY award in 14 years this week.

You don't have to look any further than TCU, and see right now… today… Marshall would not finish as a middle of the pack or better competing in a Power 5 conference. TCU came from a much stronger conference in which they played and won BCS bowls… and they couldn't do it.

Once again, it is a joke to think Marshall could compete in a Power 5… well… maybe the ACC. That conference sucks… middle of the pack wouldn't be a major hurdle against the likes of Pitt, WF, and VT…

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His example of Moss not getting into Notre Dame and FSU is completely wrong....He lost is opportunity to go to Notre Dame when he got into trouble nothing to do with grades, he actually went to FSU for a year and practiced with their team before getting in trouble and ENDING up at Marshall.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imrs.php

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, obviously you have poor reading comprehension skills. Re read his post. Right DAD?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC, obviously you have poor reading comprehension skills. Re read his post. Right DAD?

I am slow today, what am I missing? :suds:

"Didn't make the cut"....I know he cannot be talking about his athletic prow less so I figured he was talking grades.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn't what he meant. He meant what he said. How can you not get that?