• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Ten Legends...who wins it?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gad, it's gotta be the Haze talking.
ok..let's talk Productivity so far in B1G play.

MICH has scored 148 pts against MINN, PSU and IND...while giving up 100 pts against those same teams.
MSU has scored 82 pts against IOWA, IND and PUR...while giving up 42 pts against those same teams.

142 - 100
vs
82 - 42

do the math and tell me which team has 'outplayed' it's opponents so far this year.

I don't mean to talk for Maize, but is your comparison between Michigan's defense and MSU's, or is it between MSU and the rest of the country (or B1G for that matter)?

Michigan is among the worst defense in the B1G (maybe the country so far), so MSU having a better defense than Michigan's D says little to nothing about the quality of MSU's defense overall IMO.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only things you have to say on this board are how bad Nebraska sucks, how overrated OSU (or as you trollingly put it "Ohio Taint") is, and how bad the B1G is. You start fights with arguments that don't exist, and you provide nothing of value whatsoever. What the fuck do you even come here for?

The rippin and the tearin

XekOv.gif

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? You need to quit complaining. The past 5 full seasons, Nebraska has gone 48-20. That means you are a 9.6 wins a season for 5 full years. You guys have DEFINITELY been a good team during that time period, and this season you are 5-1. Maybe not great, but NO doubt you've had some good teams during that stretch.

I think Nebraska fans live too much in the "dominate Nebraska teams" of the mid 90's. Nebraska has had some great success the past half a decade, and I think 90% of all NCAA teams would love to have won 48 games in a 5 years stretch....and would LOVE to be 5-1 right now.

They are a bit better than average. They stand a good chance of beating teams with 8 wins or less, but their record against teams with 9 or more wins is attrocious.

That may be good enough by Big 10 standards, but not Nebraska.

Nebraska hasn't had a quality win in a decade.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've racked up more yards than any of Missouri's SEC teams have had against them. Granted, Missouri's tough part of the schedule are the next few games, but Indiana has been pretty impressive offensively, while their defense has been....well really bad.

I'd have to look at the Box Score to see how many of their yards/points were late garbage. I remember watching that Missouri game and I remember them handling Indiana pretty easily from the onset.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a bit better than average. They stand a good chance of beating teams with 8 wins or less, but their record against teams with 9 or more wins is attrocious.

If you have been in a major conference (by major I'm saying B12, ACC, Pac12, SEC, B1G) and you average nearly 10 wins a season for 5 years, you have had a DARN good run. Saying you haven't been good is a "whiny fan" to me. You haven't been "great", but you are far from average. I can understand your frustration, but 90%+ of the teams in the NCAA would take 48 wins in a 5 year stretch. That is a FAR from average program, and I'm sure most football fans would agree. Even if you have few big game victories in that time period.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to talk for Maize, but is your comparison between Michigan's defense and MSU's, or is it between MSU and the rest of the country (or B1G for that matter)?

Michigan is among the worst defense in the B1G (maybe the country so far), so MSU having a better defense than Michigan's D says little to nothing about the quality of MSU's defense overall IMO.

I was comparing Productivity of the whole team's efforts against opponents' productivity.

MICH's Offense is ranked 46th in the country...its Defense ranks 28th.
MSU's Offense is ranked 95th in the country...its Defense ranks 1st.

Nobody (least of all me) is arguing that MSU's Offense has been (through the season) abominable...but, since the B1G season began, who's going to argue their Offense hasn't improved dramatically? IMO, they can only get better. MICH's played the same O and D squads all season long...I've seen nothing (especially after PSU) that says either their Offense OR their Defense has improved at all. Have you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only things you have to say on this board are how bad Nebraska sucks, how overrated OSU (or as you trollingly put it "Ohio Taint") is, and how bad the B1G is. You start fights with arguments that don't exist, and you provide nothing of value whatsoever. What the fuck do you even come here for?

:wtf:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was comparing Productivity of the whole team's efforts against opponents' productivity.

Nobody (least of all me) is arguing that MSU's Offense has been (through the season) abominable...but, since the B1G season began, who's going to argue their Offense hasn't improved dramatically? IMO, they can only get better. MICH's played the same O and D squads all season long...I've seen nothing (especially after PSU) that says either their Offense OR their Defense has improved at all. Do you?

No, but I don't think Maize was comparing Michigan to MSU in his statement. I never would have imagined that Michigan's defense ranked 28th though. Regardless, MSU has one team on their schedule that has been in the top 25...I don't think it is unfair to say they haven't quite proven that they are the best defense in the country yet, or that they are clearly the best in the B1G. I personally think they are the best in the B1G, but would question whether they are the best in the country. Probably top 10 in the country, and they can move up in the next 2-3 games when they play better competition.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, they do suck pretty bad.

I couldn't imagine how awful it would be to be a fan of theirs currently.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have been in a major conference (by major I'm saying B12, ACC, Pac12, SEC, B1G) and you average nearly 10 wins a season for 5 years, you have had a DARN good run. Saying you haven't been good is a "whiny fan" to me. You haven't been "great", but you are far from average. I can understand your frustration, but 90%+ of the teams in the NCAA would take 48 wins in a 5 year stretch. That is a FAR from average program, and I'm sure most football fans would agree. Even if you have few big game victories in that time period.

Nebraska is not a good football team period. They have turrible coaching and feast on cupcakes.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gad, it's gotta be the Haze talking.
ok..let's talk Productivity so far in B1G play.

MICH has scored 148 pts against MINN, PSU and IND...while giving up 100 pts against those same teams.
MSU has scored 82 pts against IOWA, IND and PUR...while giving up 42 pts against those same teams.

142 - 100
vs
82 - 42

do the math and tell me which team has 'outplayed' it's opponents so far this year.

That's an irrelevant figure; especially considering MSU's defense has scored how many of those points? What we do know is that MSU isn't going to be scoring 30+ points on Michigan. If Michigan scores more than 30 on MSU, the game is over.

The big difference is that Michigan is both decent on offense and decent on defense where as MSU is the polar opposite of itself in offense and defense. MSU being so bad on offense really favors Michigan as our average defense should be able to limit your scoring to almost nothing. Our offense only has to then do so much against your good defense to win. Not to mention, as I've said, the two weeks we get to scheme for the game.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nobody (least of all me) is arguing that MSU's Offense has been (through the season) abominable...but, since the B1G season began, who's going to argue their Offense hasn't improved dramatically? IMO, they can only get better. MICH's played the same O and D squads all season long...I've seen nothing (especially after PSU) that says either their Offense OR their Defense has improved at all. Have you?

Your team scored 7 points against Purdue...at Home! lol at offensive improvement.

Of course I've seen things that indicates improvement. Did you miss our offense score 60+ points on Saturday? Setting multiple records at QB and WR? I don't expect that on a weekly basis but adjustments have been made. Defensively, I don't expect we're going to see dramatic improvment but with Jake Ryan back and Clark producing...we have seen an improvement in TFL and sacks.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska is not a good football team period. They have turrible coaching and feast on cupcakes.

The bright side of being a fan of Nebraska

Nebraska undefeated against the FCS. Nebraska has never lost to an FCS team.

Nebraska fans have seen Nebraska not have a losing season or a .500 season the last five years.

Nebraska fans have not seen Nebraska lose four games in a row the last five years.

The sort of bright side of being a fan of Nebraska

What was the stat the TV heads were saying, Nebraska is 14-1 against unranked road opponents under Pelini. I don't recall them mentioning what Nebraska's road record was against RANKED opponents though. But I can guess.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I don't think Maize was comparing Michigan to MSU in his statement. I never would have imagined that Michigan's defense ranked 28th though. Regardless, MSU has one team on their schedule that has been in the top 25...I don't think it is unfair to say they haven't quite proven that they are the best defense in the country yet, or that they are clearly the best in the B1G. I personally think they are the best in the B1G, but would question whether they are the best in the country. Probably top 10 in the country, and they can move up in the next 2-3 games when they play better competition.

I'm sure Maize appreciates your doing his arguing for him...while he lays back toking the Haze. And, regardless of scheduling, it's disingenuous to discount what cfb analysts across the country agree: MSU's D is the best in the country right now! (probably helps, too, that they've finished their seasons as a top-5 D each year for the past 3 years)

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Maize appreciates your doing his arguing for him...while he lays back toking the Haze. And, regardless of scheduling, it's disingenuous to discount what cfb analysts across the country agree: MSU's D is the best in the country right now! (probably helps, too, that they've finished their seasons as a top-5 D each year for the past 3 years)

CFB analysts? That's a load of crap. They're no more entitled to an opinion on the matter than either of us. They just happen to be able to do it on TV. Those are the same guys that ranked Michigan inside the top 10 to start the season. MSU's D is good, but you fail to realize that you do, in fact, need to score points to win games. You can't count on a pick-6 or two every game to win.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, they do suck pretty bad.

I couldn't imagine how awful it would be to be a fan of theirs currently.

As a fan I can only hope the HC makes the necessary changes to get the program back to elite level. If he continues to opt to keep his buddies employed over bringing in someone who can do a better job, he needs to go.

Nebraska is a 1st tier program with a 3rd tier team.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to reevaluate your definition of not good. Purdue is not good. NW is not good...

Those are historically bad. I didn't say Nebraska was bad. Just not good.
Like top 10 good.

Last edited by a moderator: