• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

big house sell out streak to end?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting, the population of Ann Arbor and its metro and micropolitan area is 344,791 according to Michigan.gov.

There are six statistical population regions in Michigan. The regions almost coincide with the Division One schools.

The State of Michigan calls the region Detroit - Warren - Ann Arbor, Michigan Geocode 220, with a population of 5.4 million people. Just that region alone has three times the population of the entire state of Nebraska. Distance from Detroit to Ann Arbor is almost the same distance as Omaha to Lincoln. You can compare that population region to the population of Omaha Lincoln.

Source Michigan.gov

CGI - Estimated Population by County: 2010-2012

Lincoln

Lincoln, Nebraska Population 2013, 2014

Sure, the regional population in larger but, again, Michigan has 4 other Div 1 programs within about a 1 hour driving distance. Let alone, another division 1 team 10 miles away in the exact same region. And, similar to Michigan, the majority of the Nebraska population comes from 1 region: Douglas, Lancaster and Sarpy counties make up almost 1 million of the 1.8 million residents. Not to mention a stadium that holds 20,000 less fans.

And ultimately, the actual city the university resides in having almost twice the population does matter. That does make a difference when you are in the city where an event is taking place. It's the same reason Ohio State can fill up a spring game and we can barely draw 25,000 fans. No one's going to drive in for a spring game but if it's just a matter of taking a bus or walking there, then why not?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying that the only fans that go to Neb. games are Alumni? Or perhaps do others that never attended go to the games?

I cannot believe you all do not get it. It is pure statistics. It seems you are ignoring the forest for the trees. Population size matters.

I can agree about the more options to choose from, but even in Nebraska there are options believe it or not. For the comment about farmers, harvest season is in October November. This is when farmers make their money. No way will farmers NOT get the harvest in and instead of harvesting and paying their bills, they will attend a football game. They only listen on the radio.

If you have a larger population base to draw from the chances are greater that you will draw more people. This is why the NFL likes to have teams in large population areas or access to large populations. If Lincoln Omaha has such a large population as you all are claiming, how come no NFL team has decided to go there?

If you have more alumni, chances are you will have more alumni that will choose to go to the game.

If you have more students, chances are you will have more people that will choose to go to the game.

If you have more faculty, who get discounted tickets, chances are you will have more faculty attending the game.

It is rather funny you all want to argue about this. Nebraska has a sellout streak. B sub FD. Nebraska is the least populated state of all states with schools in the AQ conferences. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has the lowest number of alumni. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has one of the smallest number of students attending school. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has one of the smallest faculty sizes.

If you have a small population to draw from it should be harder to have a sellout. If you have a large population to draw from it is easier to have a sellout. If you have 10,000,000 people and only 20% like football, then that ratio probably holds true for other populations. Nebraska has a population of 2,000,000(less than that actually) so 20% like football.

10,000,000 = 2,000,000 like football
2,000,000 = 400,000 like football

Which population is easier to get a big crowd from?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot believe you all do not get it. It is pure statistics. It seems you are ignoring the forest for the trees. Population size matters.

I can agree about the more options to choose from, but even in Nebraska there are options believe it or not. For the comment about farmers, harvest season is in October November. This is when farmers make their money. No way will farmers NOT get the harvest in and instead of harvesting and paying their bills, they will attend a football game. They only listen on the radio.

If you have a larger population base to draw from the chances are greater that you will draw more people. This is why the NFL likes to have teams in large population areas or access to large populations. If Lincoln Omaha has such a large population as you all are claiming, how come no NFL team has decided to go there?

If you have more alumni, chances are you will have more alumni that will choose to go to the game.

If you have more students, chances are you will have more people that will choose to go to the game.

If you have more faculty, who get discounted tickets, chances are you will have more faculty attending the game.

It is rather funny you all want to argue about this. Nebraska has a sellout streak. B sub FD. Nebraska is the least populated state of all states with schools in the AQ conferences. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has the lowest number of alumni. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has one of the smallest number of students attending school. Since Nebraska is the least populated it probably has one of the smallest faculty sizes.

If you have a small population to draw from it should be harder to have a sellout. If you have a large population to draw from it is easier to have a sellout. If you have 10,000,000 people and only 20% like football, then that ratio probably holds true for other populations. Nebraska has a population of 2,000,000(less than that actually) so 20% like football.

10,000,000 = 2,000,000 like football
2,000,000 = 400,000 like football

Which population is easier to get a big crowd from?

Are the ticket prices the same?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can tell i's the off season!

Lets bitch about how many fans may or may not attend next years games???!!

If teams, thats any big time program, continue to schedule patsies the fan base will spend their dollars elsewhere. As the digital media collides with the millennial generation if the games aren't interesting the patrons will find something else to fill their attention spans.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do these numbers count graduates or just attendees.

graduates...I am assuming, with a fair degree of confidence. (was a licensed manufacturer of collegiate merchandise for MSU, et al...needed accurate honest base numbers to masturbate for my marketing efforts...so)

btw...HuskerB1G10? still waiting for that source...if such exists at all.

and, to the topic? this story cracked me up: Michigan Football And The Death Of The Die-Hard Fan

If I was the Michigan A.D., I’d eliminate the student section altogether. Go watch the game in some frat house next to a guy with a sock on his dick.

:lol: