• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 to Bring Back Conf. Title Game

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought is kinda off subject...I would be in favor of booting Baylor and adding Houston depending on how the NCAA comes down on Baylor and what politics would be involved in doing this. If the NCAA makes an example of Baylor, their program may take years to recover. Houston will have a solid program if Tom Herman will hang around for a few years and if they become a P5 school, I think he would stay as he would have no reason to leave unless a "blue blood" came calling.

As for expansion, I can't say that I am in love with any of the choices. I don't like the idea of adding subpar quality teams just to be able to expand. If I had to pick two teams, I like Colorado State and BYU. I know that it wouldn't help us at all with traveling and such but I just don't like any teams from the east coast. UConn would be a great pickup for their basketball program but their football program is below average. UCF looked like they were improving and have been pretty bad lately. Memphis will bring the $$ with FedEx but again, neither football or basketball is really that good.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may bring in more money, but how is it going to work? Let's say Oklahoma goes undefeated in the league, and TCU has three losses in second place, including a loss to OU. Oklahoma is clearly the league champion, but gets their QB hurt and loses to TCU in this ridiculous "championship" game. I think the former BE bosses are running the B12, stupid decisions one after another, everyone airing their dirty laundry in public, and undercutting each other.

Seems to be working for the other conferences.......

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF and BYU are my first picks. Memphis and UConn second round

Can't get behind UCF...or Memphis and UCONN...

I would suggest the Big12 do some due diligence to see first which Power 5 Conference teams have a similar issue as Wv as far as traveling expenses and also if they are underwater with their current budgets...as Maryland was...or maybe programs that made bad decisions in moving conferences in the first place...ie, Mizzou, Texas A&M, Colorado, Utah.....or schools out of place like Arizona, Arizona State or Nebraska....

After that then take a look at second tier schools....I think its important that whoever they decide to bring in have some kind of tradition in one major sport...on your list only UCONN meets what I think is a major requirement..

End of the day DCW is UCF or Memphis going to be a draw for home teams even if they are conference games?..can't see Texas or OU buying into that..nor Kansas lets say that needs a program with tradtion to come into their place just to sell tickets....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While schools may not make as many ticket sales without a marquee team, the whole conference will get a bump in TV money that is greater than the ticket losses. I doubt that any of the teams listed would be competitive in the B12 for a couple of years. However, just like WVU once they get into a big conference and can pay their players more, they will become more competitive.

The B12 needs more bottom feeders to even themselves up with the SEC and B10. There are too many good teams in this conference and every year they just beat each other up. I like having the competition and marquee schools, but if you are going to win a NC, you need some easy games to keep your team healthy and keep winning.

Cincy, USF, BYU and UConn would be my choices.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought is kinda off subject...I would be in favor of booting Baylor and adding Houston depending on how the NCAA comes down on Baylor and what politics would be involved in doing this. If the NCAA makes an example of Baylor, their program may take years to recover. Houston will have a solid program if Tom Herman will hang around for a few years and if they become a P5 school, I think he would stay as he would have no reason to leave unless a "blue blood" came calling.

As for expansion, I can't say that I am in love with any of the choices. I don't like the idea of adding subpar quality teams just to be able to expand. If I had to pick two teams, I like Colorado State and BYU. I know that it wouldn't help us at all with traveling and such but I just don't like any teams from the east coast. UConn would be a great pickup for their basketball program but their football program is below average. UCF looked like they were improving and have been pretty bad lately. Memphis will bring the $$ with FedEx but again, neither football or basketball is really that good.

I don't believe we'll see the NCAA get involved with Baylor. As we saw in the Sandusky case at PSU, the NCAA was taken to court over its penalties and sanctions. The NCAA has no jurisdiction, and cannot penalize for the things which occurred on the BU campus.

Legally, Baylor could be in a ton of trouble though. They violated the Clery Act and face Title IX offenses. The federal government and justice system will likely hit them hard.

What that may do the football program is unclear for me...

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe we'll see the NCAA get involved with Baylor. As we saw in the Sandusky case at PSU, the NCAA was taken to court over its penalties and sanctions. The NCAA has no jurisdiction, and cannot penalize for the things which occurred on the BU campus.

Legally, Baylor could be in a ton of trouble though. They violated the Clery Act and face Title IX offenses. The federal government and justice system will likely hit them hard.

What that may do the football program is unclear for me...

I think they get set back a bit...with Jim Grobe coming in I am sure he has been asked to clean house...

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they get set back a bit...with Jim Grobe coming in I am sure he has been asked to clean house...

In the near future, I agree. They have a ton of talent coming back this year, so I think they will be successful. In the near future, I have to agree. BU does not look like a popular destination at this point. And, as I mentioned... I think there will be federal investigators all over the campus for awhile.

We're likely to see a few coaches removed from this year's staff as some will be charged with obstruction among other legal issues.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with UCF.....great TV market, Florida recruiting, large institution, more football success than most of the teams listed?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is wrong with UCF.....great TV market, Florida recruiting, large institution, more football success than most of the teams listed?

I think its a tradition thing for me...If you are a HC you are going there as a stepping stone school, hoping for that 9 win season and bowl win that gets you to the next job...And I guess playing their games in an NFL stadium just sends the message of how transient the program is and will never build a program with tradition down there...

The greatest thing about the BIG12 in my mind is the home venues for every team in the league..the only time I would watch a game in UCF 's stadium is if the Steeler's were plaing the Buccaneeers!:thumb:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other leagues don't play a round robin schedule....................

It;s the first step to adding more teams...but I understand your point..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a tradition thing for me...If you are a HC you are going there as a stepping stone school, hoping for that 9 win season and bowl win that gets you to the next job...And I guess playing their games in an NFL stadium just sends the message of how transient the program is and will never build a program with tradition down there...

The greatest thing about the BIG12 in my mind is the home venues for every team in the league..the only time I would watch a game in UCF 's stadium is if the Steeler's were plaing the Buccaneeers!:thumb:

I believe you are thinking about USF not UCF. I think UCF has their own stadium. That trip to Orlando for the away games would be nice and offering some our recruits a trip back home every other year to play would help WVU too IMO.
Only thing I don't like about UCF is that the TV people won't pay what we want to get them on board.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It;s the first step to adding more teams...but I understand your point..
That is one of the things I DO like in the B12, just like in the old BE, you play everyone. Just like Iowa in the B11, got the weak schedule due to their division and luck of the rotation of cross division, had a great record, high rankings, decent team, but did not deserve any of the accolades. I think we are seeing the move to 4 16 team leagues, then they will start fighting and will split into 8-8 team leagues, THEN MAYBE we will see a real playoff. Conference realignment has gone on since the early 1900s, and is likely to continue. Give me back the days of the old Eastern independents!!!!!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you are thinking about USF not UCF. I think UCF has their own stadium. That trip to Orlando for the away games would be nice and offering some our recruits a trip back home every other year to play would help WVU too IMO.
Only thing I don't like about UCF is that the TV people won't pay what we want to get them on board.

My Bad you're right...still UCF brings nothing...They haven't even been a FBS team for more than 15 years..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one of the things I DO like in the B12, just like in the old BE, you play everyone. Just like Iowa in the B11, got the weak schedule due to their division and luck of the rotation of cross division, had a great record, high rankings, decent team, but did not deserve any of the accolades. I think we are seeing the move to 4 16 team leagues, then they will start fighting and will split into 8-8 team leagues, THEN MAYBE we will see a real playoff. Conference realignment has gone on since the early 1900s, and is likely to continue. Give me back the days of the old Eastern independents!!!!!!

I agree that these conferences that don't play every team during the year loses some of the luster of playing in their conferences during the year...

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know off the top of my head and would have to look it up but I believe I heard someone say that Houston actually has had the best W/L record in the last 5-8 years? Could be wrong tho.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well that's just it DCW..why do we need to choose from that list?..If that truly is all they can hope to draw then I would agree...but I think the program doesn't have a real future..maybe thinking small minded on that one..but I can't see that school ever beating out recruits for teams that have a ton of tradition( there's that word again) down there...aka Miami, Florida and Florida State no matter if they do sport a Big XII logo on their uniforms..

And what else do they bring but a Iowa Sate quality football program...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you added Big 12 to UCF they would really take off. There is enough recruits in Florida where they could be competitive. Kids are caring less and less about tradition i.e. Baylor, in my opinion.

The list is the list, would I like to see them steal some teams of course, but that is a whole other can of worms.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you added Big 12 to UCF they would really take off. There is enough recruits in Florida where they could be competitive. Kids are caring less and less about tradition i.e. Baylor, in my opinion.

The list is the list, would I like to see them steal some teams of course, but that is a whole other can of worms.

Well I think its a given they are expanding...wonder if the Wv/BYU game this year is a prelude to an annual Big12 game..?