• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 to Bring Back Conf. Title Game

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 to bring back conference title game in '17

Guess this means no expansion in the near future
It may bring in more money, but how is it going to work? Let's say Oklahoma goes undefeated in the league, and TCU has three losses in second place, including a loss to OU. Oklahoma is clearly the league champion, but gets their QB hurt and loses to TCU in this ridiculous "championship" game. I think the former BE bosses are running the B12, stupid decisions one after another, everyone airing their dirty laundry in public, and undercutting each other.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it means expansion is on the horizon, Boren talked softer, they are not tipping their hat. I hope I'm thinking right, if not this is the dumbest thing they could ever do.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it means expansion is on the horizon, Boren talked softer, they are not tipping their hat. I hope I'm thinking right, if not this is the dumbest thing they could ever do.
I have been trying to think who they would get in an expansion, no one is going to leave the PAC, SEC, or B11 for the B12, and I don't think anyone would leave the ACC either. I keep hearing Memphis, but they arent an add in any way other than Fedex money. UConn? Cinci? The only one that makes ANY sense is BYU, and they come with baggage as well. The "championship" game will screw someone out of the "playoff" more often than not, the key is not how you crown your champ, it is who it is, If OU or Texas wins the league, they are in, anyone else would depend on who wins the other leagues, they aint taking Baylor over Ohio State no matter what.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said on here recently, waiting this expansion business out patiently... could be huge for the Big 12. There were no partners interested in a Big 12 Network. That is why there is no urgency to do so.

Now, the leaders of the conference have eliminated the 13th data point distinguisher between it and other P5 conferences. As Bowlsy correctly pointed out... the Big 12 will have both a true round robin and CCG champion. No other conference will be able to say this.

There will be little chance of the Big 12 champion slipping in the final CFP poll after 2017... it will have played its CCG on the same Saturday as every other P5 conference.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, we learn the Big 12 is in position to reap huge financial awards by sitting tight...

Next year, the Big 12 will add $30 million for the CCG to the revenue pot.

Big 12 could earn an additional $1 billion through expansion

DALLAS -- Big 12 administrators will be presented with information this week at the league's spring meetings that expansion could earn the conference at least an additional $1 billion over the length of its remaining TV rights contract, CBS Sports has learned.

If the league expands by four teams, provisions in its contracts with ESPN and Fox provide money for that benchmark. If the expansion is by two teams, the increase would be $500 million.

Those rightsholders are contractually bound to provide "pro rata" for any new Big 12 members. That is, any new members would be paid an equal share of the current Big 12 members -- approximately $23 million per year.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, here is the really sweet news...

Expansion still in play for the bold Big 12, and it could affect the Big Ten

IRVING, Texas -- The question now is how bad-ass the Big 12 wants to be.

Suddenly, Conference Conflict has swagger and leverage. Please, no more jokes about being on life support and other leagues picking over the Big 12 for used parts like an old wreck.

More importantly, the conference has a future. It all centers around a decision that is one of the more significant in college sports in recent years.

That was evident Friday after the conclusion of the Big 12 Spring Meetings.

Sure, the league added a championship game at the same time it announced record revenue distribution ($30.4 million per team). But it also suddenly holds the near-term outlook of Fox, ESPN and the Big Ten in its hands.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How Bad Ass...

Don't think this was ever said about the BE after Miami and VT left the conference...

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been trying to think who they would get in an expansion, no one is going to leave the PAC, SEC, or B11 for the B12, and I don't think anyone would leave the ACC either. I keep hearing Memphis, but they arent an add in any way other than Fedex money. UConn? Cinci? The only one that makes ANY sense is BYU, and they come with baggage as well. The "championship" game will screw someone out of the "playoff" more often than not, the key is not how you crown your champ, it is who it is, If OU or Texas wins the league, they are in, anyone else would depend on who wins the other leagues, they aint taking Baylor over Ohio State no matter what.

I think it will be four teams added, Cincy, U Conn, Memphis, and Houston

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be four teams added, Cincy, U Conn, Memphis, and Houston
I hope not, it MAY boost a short term bank account, but will hasten the demise of the league. Houston makes NO sense at all, the B12 is already represented big time in Texas. The next few years will be interesting for sure

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny to see one of our posters claim adding members of the old BE conference would hasten the demise of the Big 12. This same poster harped on the strength of the old BE, and continues to downplay the strength of the Big 12. Why would adding old BE rivals be a negative?

Good to see the two faced bigot has not changed...

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps this is to show potential new members what the Big 12 can do on an even footing. More money makes the conference more attractive. I'm sure it has nothing to do with football and everything to do with money.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With every conference potentially having a CCG the Power 5 and the other 5 could each have a de facto 10-team playoff with each conference champ advancing. No at-larges. To get in they must win their division or, in the case of the Big XII, be 1st or 2nd in the conference. Not sure how they will determine the matchup.

ACC--Clemson 45, No Carolina 37.
Big Ten--Michigan St 16, Iowa 13.
*Big XII--Oklahoma 58, Oklahoma St 23.
Pac-12--Stanford 41, USC 22.
SEC--Alabama 29, Florida 15.

(4)Oklahoma (11-1) vs (5)Stanford (11-2)---winner vs (1)Clemson (13-0)
(2)Alabama (12-1) vs (3)Michigan St (12-1)
------------------------------------------
AAC--Houston 24, Temple 13.
C-USA--Western Kent 45, So Miss 28.
MAC--Bowling Green 34, No Illinois 14.
MWC--San Diego St 27, Air Force 24.
*SBC--Arkansas St 40, App St 27.
(*)regular season matchup.

(4)Bowling Green (10-3) vs (5)Arkansas St (9-3)---winner vs (1)Houston (12-1)
(2)Western Kent (11-2) vs (3)San Diego St (10-3)

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Big12 splits divisions into North and South again it may bode well for WVU. I would assume we would be in the north and it might look something like:

WVU
ISU
OU
KU
OSU

South

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
KState

I havnt looked so my geography might be off but something like that might be a little easier to negotiate as far as a shot at the post season. Might save Dana's job, maybe that's why ol Lyons was waiting to extend him and hasn't fired him, he wanted to see how this all shook out. Dana might be able to manage that division once in awhile, no chance in the RR format iyam.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they stay at 10, it will probably be WVU or Iowa ST. and the Texas teams in one division.

If they stay at 10 it would be better to put 1 vs 2 and no divisions.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to The First Team on XM Radio this morning. They interviewed the KSU AD. He made a great point which I had not considered.

If the conference is placed into 2 divisions, interdivisional games would occur at the start of the conference season. Divisional games would make up the latter half of conference play.

This would then separate rematches by at least 4 weeks/games.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they
If the Big12 splits divisions into North and South again it may bode well for WVU. I would assume we would be in the north and it might look something like:

WVU
ISU
OU
KU
OSU

South

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
KState

I havnt looked so my geography might be off but something like that might be a little easier to negotiate as far as a shot at the post season. Might save Dana's job, maybe that's why ol Lyons was waiting to extend him and hasn't fired him, he wanted to see how this all shook out. Dana might be able to manage that division once in awhile, no chance in the RR format iyam.
If they went by a North-South divisional strictly by geography it would look like this:
North--Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, West Virginia
South--Baylor, Oklahoma St, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to The First Team on XM Radio this morning. They interviewed the KSU AD. He made a great point which I had not considered.

If the conference is placed into 2 divisions, interdivisional games would occur at the start of the conference season. Divisional games would make up the latter half of conference play.

This would then separate rematches by at least 4 weeks/games.
That would make a rematch a lil easier to swallow and ... It doesn't seem to hurt the NFL:noidea:

Last edited:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF and BYU are my first picks. Memphis and UConn second round