• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. Compare the best Big 12 schools to these Pac schools. Let me see who you think is comparable.

Southern Cal = Oklahoma

UCLA = Texas

Stanford = West Virginia

Washington = TCU

Oregon = Baylor

Arizona = Texas Tech

Cal = Okie state

Colorado = any big 12 school, i'll put Kansas for fun

And I don't mean just in football. I also want to see who you think is comparable in their endowments, their academic standing and their research grants. Go ahead. This ought to be good.

I'm not looking up academic standing or research grants, because unless you're joining the Big ten that doesn't really matter in sports conference affiliation. On the field the Big 12 is on par, probably better than the Pac. If you want to tell your friends OU is in a conference with Cal and Stanford, than more power to you. But if you really want to benefit academically and financially from a conference, then the Pac is not your answer. Go to the Big ten, then your argument of academic stand and research grants actually makes sense.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. We can recruit Texas without the UT game. All we have to do is schedule whoever we want to play in Texas and they'll put us on their schedule often enough to handle that issue. Plus we could play games in Jerry World against high caliber teams so don't get on your high horse. You need the OU game even more than we need the Texas game because without Oklahoma you are stuck in a seriously shitty conference although I'd rather keep playing it if we can.

2. If you equate K State, Iowa State, Baylor, Tech, etc. with Stanford, Southern Cal, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, etc. there's no hope in having a discussion with you.

3. Hurray. You cherry picked. Nothing like cherry picking when you could harvest like a mofo.

4. Still worried about the money, huh? Poor Texas. Here everyone thought you guys were richer than six inches up a bull's ass. Guess we're all wrong. LMAO

OK. Compare the best Big 12 schools to these Pac schools. Let me see who you think is comparable.

Southern Cal =

UCLA =

Stanford =

Washington =

Oregon =

Arizona =

Cal =

Colorado =

And I don't mean just in football. I also want to see who you think is comparable in their endowments, their academic standing and their research grants. Go ahead. This ought to be good.

Ohhh no no no no no. I don't think so. You equated k-st, ISU, Baylor and tech to Stanford, USC, ucla, Washington and Oregon in a football argument as if someone was saying the former schools were better then those later schools you mention competitive wise. Lance never did that. I was just pointing that out that that's like comparing bama, LSU, ole miss, Florida to Purdue, Indiana, Illinois and Rutgers.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not looking up academic standing or research grants, because unless you're joining the Big ten that doesn't really matter in sports conference affiliation. On the field the Big 12 is on par, probably better than the Pac. If you want to tell your friends OU is in a conference with Cal and Stanford, than more power to you. But if you really want to benefit academically and financially from a conference, then the Pac is not your answer. Go to the Big ten, then your argument of academic stand and research grants actually makes sense.

All eight Pac-12 schools I listed are AAU members. Every one of them. And you don't think the Pac-12 has an academic reputation? Give it up. The Pac-12 is a better conference than the Big 12 for a lot of reasons. You are fixated on your $15 Million. Good, keep it. You obviously need it. Oklahoma will not stay in the Big 12 forever because (a) we can do well in sports in any conference and (b) we want to continuously keep upgrading our academic status which is easier if our conference is noted for academic excellence. The Big 10 is not an option for Oklahoma because of the weather factor and because the fans and University leadership prefer going West instead of going North. You want to be a big fish in a small pond that just keeps getting more stagnant, go ahead. But when push comes to shove, Oklahoma will leave the Big 12 and, if necessary, let Texas stay behind in a super weak conference. And you'd also get to keep that $15 Million. LMAO.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All eight Pac-12 schools I listed are AAU members. Every one of them. And you don't think the Pac-12 has an academic reputation? Give it up. The Pac-12 is a better conference than the Big 12 for a lot of reasons. You are fixated on your $15 Million. Good, keep it. You obviously need it. Oklahoma will not stay in the Big 12 forever because (a) we can do well in sports in any conference and (b) we want to continuously keep upgrading our academic status which is easier if our conference is noted for academic excellence. The Big 10 is not an option for Oklahoma because of the weather factor and because the fans and University leadership prefer going West instead of going North. You want to be a big fish in a small pond that just keeps getting more stagnant, go ahead. But when push comes to shove, Oklahoma will leave the Big 12 and, if necessary, let Texas stay behind in a super weak conference. And you'd also get to keep that $15 Million. LMAO.

So no, you have no facts to back up your wishes. That's fine, but I'm telling you facts. Fact, joining the Big ten helps your academics way more than joining the pac 12 does. The Big ten shares research dollars, and would be your best bet. FACT, you'd lose tier 3 money going to the pac, your travel expenses for all other sports would rise, and you'd be in a conference with 1 other blue blood, USC. So basically you're moving to the Big 12 of the west. Mr. NYU PHD maybe you should start clamoring for the Big ten, if you're going to use the academic excuse.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So leaving a conference with only one blue blood while improving your academic standing is bad? The Big would be a better academic conference but when number 1 isn't an answer number 2 doesn't seem like a raw deal.

Plus you are joking about the Pac and Big 12 are essentially the same. SC is the big blue blood as you say, but when was the last time they won the conference as opposed to Oklahoma? Don't cite the sanctions as even with them SC has been one of the most talented teams in the country.

You know damn well if Oklahoma moves out west Texas will follow right behind.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So leaving a conference with only one blue blood while improving your academic standing is bad? The Big would be a better academic conference but when number 1 isn't an answer number 2 doesn't seem like a raw deal.

Plus you are joking about the Pac and Big 12 are essentially the same. SC is the big blue blood as you say, but when was the last time they won the conference as opposed to Oklahoma? Don't cite the sanctions as even with them SC has been one of the most talented teams in the country.

You know damn well if Oklahoma moves out west Texas will follow right behind.

But does it really improve OU's academic standing? And who says the BIG isn't an option?

The Pac is seen as a 1 team league, the Big 12 is seen as a 2 team league. So no, they're not the same but the Pac is close.

I used to think Texas would go out west, but after looking at the facts I'm not so sure. It isn't a better conference, and we'd lose major $$$$.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's been discredited plus nobody cares what the gays think about CFB teams and schools. Enough already.

Bleacher Report seems to have that happen alot.

I'm just sayin......

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does it really improve OU's academic standing? And who says the BIG isn't an option?

The Pac is seen as a 1 team league, the Big 12 is seen as a 2 team league. So no, they're not the same but the Pac is close.

I used to think Texas would go out west, but after looking at the facts I'm not so sure. It isn't a better conference, and we'd lose major $$$$.

A one team league? A one team league in terms of a historical great program but the Pac is the urthest thing from a one team league. Oregon, Stanford, SC, UCLA, UW on the rise, let alone an average Cal team that beat mighty Texas.

You can look at numbers all you want but I can't believe you actually believe that if Oklahoma comes west Texas won't tuck it's tail and follow.

And yes it would improve their academic standings. Which isn't about sports. The Big is a great academic conference but most their football players read at a 4th grade level.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A one team league? A one team league in terms of a historical great program but the Pac is the urthest thing from a one team league. Oregon, Stanford, SC, UCLA, UW on the rise, let alone an average Cal team that beat mighty Texas.

You can look at numbers all you want but I can't believe you actually believe that if Oklahoma comes west Texas won't tuck it's tail and follow.

And yes it would improve their academic standings. Which isn't about sports. The Big is a great academic conference but most their football players read at a 4th grade level.

Texas could go west, or could go where we'd make more money and actually better our academic status and go BIG. The BIG actually shares research dollars, I'm sure a husker is stalking this topic and could give us more details.

Going west doesn't make sense, doesn't improve a thing for Texas or OU.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been wondering about this item for several teams. Just how much fuckin' money do they need? And the ones that don't bring in that kind of coin are trying to keep up with the ones that do...and that ain't gonna happen unless they Knights, TBoones, etal. Many of them give back to the school. Here's another idea. Bring ticket prices back down where average Joe can take the whole family to a game.

I've been thinking the same thing as well......

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report seems to have that happen alot.

I'm just sayin......
Yea I wouldn't be suprised a bit if ESPN weren't behind the report. BYU is one of their favorite brands that they push and they have then on the cheap right now. If the Big12 picks them up then they are going to be paying a lot more for BYU.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I wouldn't be suprised a bit if ESPN weren't behind the report. BYU is one of their favorite brands that they push and they have then on the cheap right now. If the Big12 picks them up then they are going to be paying a lot more for BYU.

Good point, ESPN already pays like 5mil to broadcast BYU games, that price goes up to I'm guessing 25mil if they join the big 12. (I don't know how much ESPN pays per big 12 school) Seems like a smart, but dirty thing to do.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really sure how much more OU could improve its academic standing by joining the Pac. With all due respect, how long has WAZZU been a member of the Pac? Hasn't WAZZU been the worst ranked academic school in the Pac for several years (I could be wrong, but I've heard that before and don't have time to research). Let's be real, the only schools that are worth a shit academically in the Pac are Stanford, Cal, SC, UCLA and UDUB. Not my intent to dog on WAZZU's academics, was just trying to make a point that I think OU's chances of changing their academic reputation may help by joining the Pac, but it won't make a vast difference than staying in the Big 12. Like Lance said and what I have told Goldbug before, if OU is hell bent on changing their academic reputation, then the B1G is where they need to go.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After we beat SC in 2002 they have yet to come to Pullman in November so I'm sure you guys would get special treatment too.
Hmmm....and people think Texas gets preferential treatment. Even they don't get that kind of break. They played AT the northern most conference schools late in the season last year...Iowa State Oct 31 and at West Virginia Nov 14.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
night-of-the-living-thread_zps57vhhzce.jpg

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure how much more OU could improve its academic standing by joining the Pac. With all due respect, how long has WAZZU been a member of the Pac? Hasn't WAZZU been the worst ranked academic school in the Pac for several years (I could be wrong, but I've heard that before and don't have time to research). Let's be real, the only schools that are worth a shit academically in the Pac are Stanford, Cal, SC, UCLA and UDUB. Not my intent to dog on WAZZU's academics, was just trying to make a point that I think OU's chances of changing their academic reputation may help by joining the Pac, but it won't make a vast difference than staying in the Big 12. Like Lance said and what I have told Goldbug before, if OU is hell bent on changing their academic reputation, then the B1G is where they need to go.

Exes, it is a balancing act. We have to take in consideration both sports and academics. If the decision was only about sports I could make an argument that we should just stay in a 10 team conference where we will only have a couple of teams to worry about most years in football. 10 teams is not that big of a deal; we're Oklahoma --- if we win enough games we're in the CFP in any conference because we have a strong national reputation. And if the decision was based strictly on academics the B1G would probably be the best choice. But we kinda like our football program and it would suffer if we moved to the B1G plus the fans don't want to travel north. The Pac-12 is the best overall compromise: our football recruiting would stay strong and even get stronger if OU went to the Pac-12 and we would be rubbing shoulders with 8 AAU members which Oklahoma is busting its ass to join when we can.