• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Baylor and Tech are good games, shoot Tech has done well vs Pac schools in bowl games. Don't forget OSU, WSU, Utah, Colorado, AZ, all bad games.

3. We are in a state where we will fill out 90% of our roster, even if we wanted more cali kids we don't have room.

4. I can see business and math isn't your thing.

I'm a business man and I understand investment, R&D and capital costs. Trust me, I know how to figure a ROI in my head. You, on the other hand, think $15 Million is a big deal. Got news for ya: it isn't if the payout justifies the expense. $15 Million is chump change in the business world when we're dealing with a revenue stream many, many times larger than the amount expended/foregone and the ancillary benefits (gaining market share, protecting your pricing structure, etc.) are the result. Or in college football, you upgrade your conference affiliation and create more games the entire nation wants to watch. The income stream catches up and then you are operating at a net positive.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Baylor and Tech are good games, shoot Tech has done well vs Pac schools in bowl games. Don't forget OSU, WSU, Utah, Colorado, AZ, all bad games.

3. We are in a state where we will fill out 90% of our roster, even if we wanted more cali kids we don't have room.

4. I can see business and math isn't your thing.

You pretty much just named the five shittiest teams in the PAC and I expect three of them (Utah, Washington State, and Arizona) to be better than half or more of your conference this season.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a business man and I understand investment, R&D and capital costs. Trust me, I know how to figure a ROI in my head. You, on the other hand, think $15 Million is a big deal. Got news for ya: it isn't if the payout justifies the expense. $15 Million is chump change in the business world when we're dealing with a revenue stream many, many times larger than the amount expended/foregone and the ancillary benefits (gaining market share, protecting your pricing structure, etc.) are the result. Or in college football, you upgrade your conference affiliation and create more games the entire nation wants to watch. The income stream catches up and then you are operating at a net positive.

Lol. The college kid thinks he's got it all figured out. You don't know nuthin' gold bug.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pretty much just named the five shittiest teams in the PAC and I expect three of them (Utah, Washington State, and Arizona) to be better than half or more of your conference this season.

I could've named Az state, Washington, Cal, does it really make a difference? Now that Oregon lost chip, and USC keeps hiring coaches from the bargain rack I don't see the pac as anything special.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, 15mil a year is 1/3 of Texas entire tv football revenue. I've stated facts, you googled a few business terms and are pretending you made a point.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could've named Az state, Washington, Cal, does it really make a difference? Now that Oregon lost chip, and USC keeps hiring coaches from the bargain rack I don't see the pac as anything special.

The PAC is a strong, deep conference, just like yours. In my opinion the PAC and Big 12 have been the two strongest conferences in the nation outside of the SEC for quite some time now. The difference between the two is the PAC is sustained and stable and the Big 12 is a fucking trainwreck going off the rails that's run by a bunch of indecisive morons.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That ain't sayin' much. But, I think that would be fairly close. I'm thinking OU, Okie Lite, West Virginia and TCU would beat those three. Kansas, K-State and Iowa State wouldn't. Toss up with Texas, Tech and Baylor. JMO.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, 15mil a year is 1/3 of Texas entire tv football revenue. I've stated facts, you googled a few business terms and are pretending you made a point.

You moron. I have a PhD in finance from NYU. I didn't Google anything. That comment must mean you didn't understand a word I said. I'll make it simple for you: the "1/3" number is deceiving if the full amount of TV income is a relatively small percentage of the total revenues. Jeez, how dense are you? You want to keep $15 Million in lieu of upgrading everything else? Actually, I am glad most Horns fans agree with you. It can only hurt UT in the long run and I'm all for that if it eventually helps Oklahoma.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except a good team, a market the Big 12 recently lost, and are enough of a brand name that the Houston vs Oklahoma game is on national tv opening Saturday of the season.

I'd watch Houston games, and I'm generally a fan of the B1G.

Do they really bring any market share though? The only thing I see is opening the door for another school to take a run at Texas recruits.

They are already making a nice run on Texas recruits being in another conference. Why not keep that talent in the Big12 and make it a stronger league?

League needs to be proactive IMO. Houston has TCU potential and that's a good thing. If Texas and OU have problems recruiting against UH then Texas and OU need to make changes in leadership IMO.

Thank you, and maybe those east Texas kids that leave for the SEC will stay in the big 12, possibly to UH or another Big 12 school. Make Houston a Big 12 city again, its a bigger market than Cincy or Memphis.

Yup... better to have another school taking Texas recruits to be a Big XII school. Invite Houston into the Big XII before the ACC or PAC decide to get a foothold in Texas by adding the Cougars.

If/when Notre Dame goes all-in as a full member of the ACC in the future, who will the ACC target as member #16? ---- UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, Memphis are valid choices to join Note Dame in the ACC, but one would think that the attractiveness of getting into Texas could compel the ACC into inviting Houston to come along with Notre Dame.

Also..... if the PAC ever decides to get into the Central time zone, Houston could be a candidate.

So..... if Houston is eventually going to become a member of a power 5 conference, shouldn't the Big XII be proactive and grab the Cougars first?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about that 11pm tilt between OU and Stanford or Oregon or USC or UCLA? If they're college football fans, they'll stay up and watch.
The hard core ones like me will but the novice and the crowd that all the realignment was trying to reach in the first place will not.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Houston market is already saturated and most alumni there are not Houston alumni. They don't help.

Tv ratings seems to disagree with you

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN tells Big 12 and ACC no money for networks.

ESPN signs B1G to $1,140,000,000

ESPN tells Big 12 no money for networks.

Since ESPN had to pay ACC $3,000,000 per team if no network, ESPN announces an ACC Network for 2019.

Big 12 tells ESPN pay us $23,000,000 per team we add to the Big 12.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goldbug compared the shittiest big 12 schools to the class and historic programs of the pac as if that somehow could make the pac way better. Lance was just doing the opposite with the Big 12.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL their home schedules blow the big 12 schedules out of the water. I watch a good bit of PAC football but rarely turn the dial to the big 12 because 80% of the match ups suck. Your best game is OU then out of conference and maybe a TCU.

The Big 12 fucked up losing Neb and A&M period.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you've changed your mind on expansion?

Whatever is best, if the tv folks pony up then the argument to stand pat at 10 and not share the wealth is very strong. If they don't then force the networks hand by holding them to the contract that they signed, expand and build for the future with new markets/brands, a ccg, and a conference network when the LHN gets canned (which WILL happen).

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTEde="Deep Creek, post: 8747601, member: 10205"]That ain't sayin' much. But, I think that would be fairly close. I'm thinking OU, Okie Lite, West Virginia and TCU would beat those three. Kansas, K-State and Iowa State wouldn't. Toss up with Texas, Tech and Baylor. JMO.[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll never know but there is a reason teams don't go undefeated in the Pac. Outside of Oregon State last year, the conference is top to 11 unquestionably the deepest conference. Kinda funny a Texas fan using Cal as an example of weakness too. Losing the tied for 4th place team in one division, not conference, one division.

And the late kickoffs that has been debated is way overblown. Texas or Oklahoma would ever have to worry about it, Okie Lite and whoever else would come over is a different story. After we beat SC in 2002 they have yet to come to Pullman in November so I'm sure you guys would get special treatment too. The only issue for Big fans would be if they had a great matchup that gets stuck at 7 PST on Thursdays or Fridays.

There is zero chance the Pac expands into Texas without Texas coming. The conference doesn't give two shits about getting into another time zones, more eyeballs or anything. It's all about getting the recruiting region since the NW schools got fucked over with the expansion of Utah and Colorado cause they play only 1 game in So Cal a year. Houston coming the Pac 12 doesn't make sense as Pac schools want to try some of the sloppy seconds from the Longhorns. Pac schools already try to cherry pick kids who have Houston in their top 3.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You moron. I have a PhD in finance from NYU. I didn't Google anything. That comment must mean you didn't understand a word I said. I'll make it simple for you: the "1/3" number is deceiving if the full amount of TV income is a relatively small percentage of the total revenues. Jeez, how dense are you? You want to keep $15 Million in lieu of upgrading everything else? Actually, I am glad most Horns fans agree with you. It can only hurt UT in the long run and I'm all for that if it eventually helps Oklahoma.

I'm sure you do have a PHD from NYU. Your problem is the argument I highlighted above. What gets upgraded? Travel costs? The TV money doesn't go up, so please give me FACTS on what upgrades. And none of this "we get to play a football game against smart kids" or "Texas vs Washington brings in more money" . Try some facts, Mr. NYU PHD

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, Texas has never been paid $15,000,000 a year for the LHN.

I want to point out that the LHN has not turned a profit. Therefore, according to the LHN contract, there is just a 3% rise in the contract each year.

2016 ESPN paid IMG in quarterly payments a total of $13,175,000. IMG then pays Texas their royalty(minus IMG 30% cut, IMG has 12 employees working the Texas contract all based in Austin). The LHN has been in existence for seven years(2010-2016) and the LHN will not pay Texas and IMG $15,000,000(or more) until 2021.

BTW, with operating expenses of approx $25,000,000 year for the LHN, which is being added to the contract clause of ESPN recouping their $295,000,000, IMG and Texas will never see the windfall numbers initially in the contract of 70% of the LHN revenue. ESPN needs to recoup $445,000,000 now. 445000000/14 means that the LHN must average a $32,000,000 profit for the next 14 years for ESPN to recoup their investment.

The most IMG and Texas will see is $19,300,000 in 20029. IMG gets 30%, so that is $13,600,000 to Texas.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldbug compared the shittiest big 12 schools to the class and historic programs of the pac as if that somehow could make the pac way better. Lance was just doing the opposite with the Big 12.

OK. Compare the best Big 12 schools to these Pac schools. Let me see who you think is comparable.

Southern Cal =

UCLA =

Stanford =

Washington =

Oregon =

Arizona =

Cal =

Colorado =

And I don't mean just in football. I also want to see who you think is comparable in their endowments, their academic standing and their research grants. Go ahead. This ought to be good.