• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas could go west, or could go where we'd make more money and actually better our academic status and go BIG. The BIG actually shares research dollars, I'm sure a husker is stalking this topic and could give us more details.

Going west doesn't make sense, doesn't improve a thing for Texas or OU.

Knowledgeable husker fan here.

The B1G does NOT share research dollars. The CIC gives a school the opportunity to network with the other schools so you can get more federal research dollars. Each school protects its grants vehemently and no researcher will willingly give up any of their money. Publish or Perish, Bring in Grant Dollars or go someplace else.

The B1G does act like a corporation with more buying power though. So, their OFFICE SUPPLIES are cheaper. This probably saves each school something like $500,000 per year.

I will give you this interesting tidbit I did on the Nebraska board on how Nebraska going to the B1G was the right move. Nebraska's R&D has increased each year while being in the B1G. Not many schools can claim that. Oklahoma State actually saw their research dollars decrease since 2010.

Why leaving the Big 12 was the right choice

My methodology
I added up the R&D increases for all Big 12 schools and Nebraska. that is 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I gave each Big 12 school an average of $7,000,000 more per year than Nebraska, so that is $35,000,000 over five years, this is CONFERENCE payouts. This number could be larger.
TCU & West Virginia I gave $28,000,000 because they were not in the Big 12 for the 2011 season, that was Missouri and Texas A&M. I am being generous as TCU and WVU were not being fully paid.

"The price to depart the Big East may seem high, but it also will prove lucrative. Luck said WVU should get about $18 million to $19 million a year in television payouts, about double what it gets from the Big East. Payments are being prorated for the first three years at 50 percent, 67 percent and 87 percent, he said, reaching 100 percent in the fourth year."

I don't include the Tier 3 money the Big 12 schools get, nor do I include the contract Nebraska has in place with IMG. Same company several Big 12 schools use.

Huskers, IMG College Sign Landmark Media Contract

Oklahoma increase from academics and athletics = $160,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
Iowa State increase from academics and athletics = $141,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
Kansas increase from academics and athletics = $126,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
Kansas State increase from academics and athletics = $108,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
Texas Tech increase from academics and athletics = $94,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
WVU increase from academics and athletics = $78,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12 and WVU joined in 2011
Baylor increase from academics and athletics = $40,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12
TCU increase from academics and athletics = $33,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12 and TCU joined in 2011
Oklahoma State increase from academics and athletics = $28,000,000 since Nebraska left the Big 12

Yes, Oklahoma State had a decrease in R&D dollars.

Nebraska's increase from R&D was a total of $268,000,000.

Nebraska has $108,000,000 more than Oklahoma.
Nebraska has $127,000,000 more than Iowa State.
Nebraska has $132,000,000 more than Kansas. More than TWICE what Kansas brought in.
Nebraska has $150,000,000 more than Kansas State. More than TWICE what Kansas State brought in.
Nebraska has $174,000,000 more than Texas Tech. More than TWICE what Texas Tech brought in.
Nebraska has $190,000,000 more than WVU. More than THREE TIMES what WVU brought in.
Nebraska has $228,000,000 more than Baylor. More than SIX TIMES what Baylor brought in.
Nebraska has $235,000,000 more than TCU. More than EIGHT TIMES what TCU brought in.
Nebraska has $240,000,000 more than Oklahoma State. More than NINE TIMES what Oklahoma State
brought in.

Is this just coincidental that the University of Nebraska R&D has increased? After another five years we will be able to tell if this is an anomaly or a trend. If the trend still increases linearly, then I think it is fair to say Nebraska being in the B1G/CIC has helped.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure how much more OU could improve its academic standing by joining the Pac. With all due respect, how long has WAZZU been a member of the Pac? Hasn't WAZZU been the worst ranked academic school in the Pac for several years (I could be wrong, but I've heard that before and don't have time to research). Let's be real, the only schools that are worth a shit academically in the Pac are Stanford, Cal, SC, UCLA and UDUB. Not my intent to dog on WAZZU's academics, was just trying to make a point that I think OU's chances of changing their academic reputation may help by joining the Pac, but it won't make a vast difference than staying in the Big 12. Like Lance said and what I have told Goldbug before, if OU is hell bent on changing their academic reputation, then the B1G is where they need to go.

We are one of weakest ranked academic schools in the conference, in fact a junior conference until we rode the coat tails of the academically elite conference out west. And if we got booted from the conference would be a glorified junior college again.

Yes the B1G would be the best conference to go to, but they aren't banging Oklahoma's door. That leaves one option for them and it's west. Texas will not stay in the conference if OU leaves as the Big 12 would become a mid west version of the Big East. And the only way Texas has a shot at getting into the B1G is if they somehow get ND to join with them.

To me, from afar, it seems Texas is trying a powerful play but since A&M left, Texas' fate is solely attached to OU. To me it just makes sense for Texas to come west so they can have some pride in saying they didn't follow OU, OU followed them.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm....and people think Texas gets preferential treatment. Even they don't get that kind of break. They played AT the northern most conference schools late in the season last year...Iowa State Oct 31 and at West Virginia Nov 14.

Yes, which is my point in any negative thing about them coming out west is that they'd be playing games at 8 pm PST. The only concessions Texas would have to make is that's there are 10 (can't imagine Colorado or Utah have a voice yet) voices at the table.

But the big issue and why I don't think it will happen because who is the 4h team. Texas, OU and Okie Lite are givens, which essentially leaves Kansas as the only school that could get enough votes and highly doubt Kansas wants to west by itself.