• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bevell??

Lineman16

Yep
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Play to win OR play NOT TO LOSE???

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems really predictable at times. If me and my son can guess 80% of the plays we'll run while sitting in our media room, I'm pretty sure Ryan can figure it out too.

I don't know why we don't do more play action or read option. It works well for us.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really. If you listen to Carroll speak in his weekly pressers he says the offense is by design which means he is telling Bevell to play conservative. If you want to blame someone, blame Carroll. The HC has the discretion to set the tone and tell his coordinators to change things if they aren't working the way he wants.

I mean I do get tired of 1 down Lynch to the right side B gap over and over and over, but it appears that's the way Carroll wants it.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, really. If you listen to Carroll speak in his weekly pressers he says the offense is by design which means he is telling Bevell to play conservative. If you want to blame someone, blame Carroll. The HC has the discretion to set the tone and tell his coordinators to change things if they aren't working the way he wants.

I mean I do get tired of 1 down Lynch to the right side B gap over and over and over, but it appears that's the way Carroll wants it.

I do believe that bevell is being unjustly criticized all year but it is what it is. The core problem i think remains at OLine. The fans here are quite fickle.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
throwing on third and short is not conservative, its stupid.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
throwing on third and short is not conservative, its stupid.

It's only stupid when it doesn't work. The Baldwin play, in all aspects was brilliant and led to the game sealing td.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only stupid when it doesn't work. The Baldwin play, in all aspects was brilliant and led to the game sealing td.

In poker this would be called being " results oriented " in that you made an incorrect play but sucked out so it was the right move.

I am not sure that is what you mean by it worked so it's okay, maybe you think throwing there against 0 coverage passing works a higher % of the time which might be true. I think in general with all the data that's out there letting the math dictate the call works best. Play the percentages.

They threw to open that drive as well, I have to think that was not that call even against 0 coverage on first down.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And in the post game Wilson said he pushed for that play. They were expecting them to go zero cover in key situations and practiced that play all week to prepare for it. Wilson pushed to get that one in.

Look, when they do something everyone expects he is bad because he is too predictable and boring and when he does something outside the box he is too reckless and making dangerous mistakes that should have him fired.

I just think some of you are too hung up on him as the only, or main problem while I think I'm not alone in saying there are a few issues that have us in this funk and I don't see him as the worst part of it.

Fix the line that can't keep Wilson safe for more than 2 seconds, add a WR or two that can get open, or find us a consistent TE that can be clutch over the middle and this team is unstoppable IMO. Bevell or not.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In poker this would be called being " results oriented " in that you made an incorrect play but sucked out so it was the right move.

I am not sure that is what you mean by it worked so it's okay, maybe you think throwing there against 0 coverage passing works a higher % of the time which might be true. I think in general with all the data that's out there letting the math dictate the call works best. Play the percentages.

They threw to open that drive as well, I have to think that was not that call even against 0 coverage on first down.

I'm actually reffering to reactions to the playcalling. I've rarely heard anyone talk about how they hated the play call but loved the result. The offense is "simple" and rarely throws out anything that people haven't seen before at your local high school. When it works, people cheer, when it doesn't people want to call for the heads of those involved. Bevell frustrates me and I won't be sad to see him stay or see him go, but there are times when the offense opens up and you see what it can do, it just doesn't open up very often. At this point of the season, it is obvious that the offense is the way it is by design.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fix the line that can't keep Wilson safe for more than 2 seconds, add a WR or two that can get open, or find us a consistent TE that can be clutch over the middle and this team is unstoppable IMO. Bevell or not.

I think the line is so important because of Wilson's performance. I feel that his performance is starting to suffer because he's burning out. He's had to run for his life all season, and I think it's catching up to him.

I've backed off my criticism of Bevell a few weeks ago, and really only hate that one pitch play they seem to love (and every once in a while he is predictable, like that first screen to Harvin). Otherwise, I think he's doing exactly what Carroll wants, he's providing an offense that won't lose the game and helps the defense in the field position game.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with our offense is we generally run the ball to bring defenders in the box, and then throw over them for explosive deep plays. We don't do much intermediate timing pattern type stuff. This is fine for most of the field, but inside the opponents 30 we struggle. They don't want to always run, as that would be too predictable, so they try a bunch of different stunts and roll outs, etc. Some people call it "being too cute." This game could have been a blowout had we scored a TD before halftime with a first and goal at like the 3.

I understand the elements played a factor this week and we kept the ball on the ground alot in order to minimize a chance at turnovers, but first and goal inside the 5, this offense needs to figure out how to score there, whether its quick slants to TE or corner throw, or pounding the rock with Beast. Something needs to happen or we are going to have a tough time winning next week facing an even better defense.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the main reason you don't see more crossing routes is Wilson doesn't really see those routes from the pocket with his height and he doesn't have technique receivers that can get separation in the first 2 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, his height isn't an overall problem, but to ignore the reality that he simply can't see things directly to the other side of the line often can't be ignored either. That's why I like to see him on bootlegs and scrambles. He is so much more effective when he has down field vision and he just doesn't have nearly enough from the pocket.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind throwing on 3rd and short at times but its definitely becoming predictable and what really aggravates me is that we do it out of no back sets! WTF? Why would you not want beast back there to at least keep the defense honest? It makes the passing threat that much more effective

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont mind throwing on 3rd and short at times but its definitely becoming predictable and what really aggravates me is that we do it out of no back sets! WTF? Why would you not want beast back there to at least keep the defense honest? It makes the passing threat that much more effective

:agree: What got me angry was that on third and short throughout the 3rdQ we did slant throws and Wilson was 0 for 4. It killed drives and I was screaming run it once, roll out, throw deep, whatever but three or four drives ended from those slants just pissed me off. I also get tired of seeing lynch nowhere to be seen on third and short empty back-set almost every time.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also get tired of seeing lynch nowhere to be seen on third and short empty back-set almost every time.

He was in on almost all of them, they just spread him out as a WR (which is one thing I will never understand).

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They dont have à bunch of great offensive pièces to utilize.

But they took care of the ball, ran great, and won the game.

I have nothing to bitch about. But thats just me.

uwdawgfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 35.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...inside slant play to Lynch as he is lined up as a WR on 3rd down was probably the most fucked call ive ever seen, no way he is catching that....lol

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the main reason you don't see more crossing routes is Wilson doesn't really see those routes from the pocket with his height and he doesn't have technique receivers that can get separation in the first 2 seconds.

Don't get me wrong, his height isn't an overall problem, but to ignore the reality that he simply can't see things directly to the other side of the line often can't be ignored either. That's why I like to see him on bootlegs and scrambles. He is so much more effective when he has down field vision and he just doesn't have nearly enough from the pocket.

If that's the case then it's a huge problem. It will be a career killer for him because all teams have to do is cover the sidelines, like they do.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that's the case then it's a huge problem. It will be a career killer for him because all teams have to do is cover the sidelines, like they do.

Brees doesn't really throw crossing routes either....

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brees doesn't really throw crossing routes either....

He hits graham in the seem and attacks the middle of the field. He also hits quick slants. I don't think Wilson is the problem. It's PC saying he doesn't want high risk throws and Bevell complying. They've put the leash back on Wilson and it's stunting his development. It's going to take us getting behind big and not coming back in a big game for them to pull their heads out of their asses. One would hope that the Atlanta game last year would have made them see the light but unfortunately that wasn't the case. But as far as this game went, I can actually understand it with the wind. Brees didn't throw a pick but should have been picked off at least two times.