• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bengals fans should be ticked

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, there's lots of things that any Bengal fan can be ticked at. Most of them of the Bengals' own doing, there's no doubt. You'll not see me say that they deserved that win, and were screwed by the poor call on the field, because they did not play well enough. However, they did play well enough to at least get a CHANCE to finish that drive and see what the outcome would have been. Could have been an INT, or another fumble....a TD with a failed 2-pt conversion, or a tie game.

The bottom line is, while the Bengals screwed themselves over throughout the game, they were at least in a position to tie the game (potentially) on that drive. The fact that a call that was not a judgement call, or an arbitrary violations call (such as holding, PI, etc...since these can be called almost at will any play) but on a call that should have been clearly over-turned upon review really is what chaps most fans.

Even if the Bengals' challenged that non-TD call and got it reversed (and really, with how the fumble replay turned out, how much confidence do you think any Bengals fan should have THAT call would have been over-turned?), the Bengals would have still needed to drive for the win, and who's to say the same thing couldn't have happened.

The Refs did not cost them that game. No. The Bengals did that to themselves, but it's fair to say that a blown call that was easily seen upon review did cost them at least a chance to do something.

At least it was a well played (well, sorta with all that rain, it was ugly) and things were in control all game long from a player/emotion standpoint, and no one got hurt.

Good points, but you still want the refs getting those right especially when they review them in slow mo ... It was such an obvious easy call to make... Hate seeing that...

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the play but given the importance of this game (Top 2 teams in division more than likely) you would hope the refs would get plays right.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL refs continue to be the worst of the worst. People who were complaining about the replacement refs should be embarrassed. The permanent ones are as bad if not worse. As far as other sports, there may be calls that are incorrect but nowhere near as obvious as the ones in the NFL. Refs are probably instructed to keep games as close as possible. The NFL must think a close finish is exiting like people wont realize they are based on the refs making shit calls. Its pathetic really.
Hard to accurately compare NFL refs to refs in other sports in a way. There is a lot of shit happening on the field during 1 play and some of the officials are on the field trying to officiate while trying not getting themselves killed at the same time. I think penalties should be reviewable but within reason. Also, after reviewing a play from multiple angles, they should be able to make most calls accurately. They should use more field level HD cameras IMO.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I saw the replay and thought "that's getting over-turned". Got up to do something and came back confused seeing the Steelers with the ball. Bad call. Hate to see that. Especially in such an important game.
My thoughts exactly. Same thing happened to me coming back confused PIT had the ball.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell & Blandino do we need to say anything more?

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to accurately compare NFL refs to refs in other sports in a way. There is a lot of shit happening on the field during 1 play and some of the officials are on the field trying to officiate while trying not getting themselves killed at the same time. I think penalties should be reviewable but within reason. Also, after reviewing a play from multiple angles, they should be able to make most calls accurately. They should use more field level HD cameras IMO.

I would say that is only a limited argument, especially when looking at the way the refs are throwing flags.

Nice example last week Eagles vs Cleveland, on the drive where Cleveland scored.

1. Prior commits an OPI to make the catch - that one is understandably missed, though obvious on replay, and one of a type refs should be looking for.

2. Malcolm Jenkins gets called on a BS DPI call by a ref miles away (the two close do not call it), while at the same time the same ref that threw the flag ignored that same WR creating the separation by basically barging Jenkins out of his way at the top of his route, and the ref placed behind the QB ignoring Vinny Curry being tackled (after blatant holding) right in front of his face well before the QB throws his pass.

The refs bring it upon themselves in many ways. They completely miss the blatantly obvious (300lbs O-lineman running 20 yards down field illegally on a pass play ), and call the ticky-tack. They are wildly inconsistent in the calls they make and do not make. The moment refs leave you wondering WT**** they were looking at, you know there is a problem.

I think you can very well compare them - especially with a sport like rugby. And I rarely if ever see the same inconsistency and incompetence displayed there. One of the big differences is full time professional refs.

Generally, I think you can blame the NFL a lot for these issues - not only for not making the refs full time professionals, but also itself for needlessly complicating the rule-book, the mweah way they implemented instant replay, the wrong priorities in judging punishable offenses for players post-game, and seemingly the wildly inconsistent ways in which it holds officials accountable.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't seen an angle that shows the ball firmly under control with the knee down. Can't overturn a call without visual evidence.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still haven't seen an angle that shows the ball firmly under control with the knee down. Can't overturn a call without visual evidence.

:thumb:

Just watched it....you couldn't have overturned the call in either direction.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a bad call on the field.

But I kinda understand why it wasn't reversed, since none of the camera angles that I saw showed when the ball started to come loose.

Would it have changed the outcome of the game? I doubt it. As tough as the Steelers have been in the red zone, there was no guarantee that the Bengals would have gotten a TD, let alone a 2-pt conversion afterwards.

Had they been held to a FG, could they have recovered an onside kick, and gotten another shot at the end zone? I dunno...maybe.

There are bad calls, and non-calls, in every game. Cinci had some non-calls in their favor, including a face mask and at least one pass interference. Bottom line: the zebras are a far cry short of infallible.

And FWIW, I give both teams credit for playing a pretty clean game, when many fans expected the dirtiest fight in years.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

Amen Brother! It could not have been overturned if it had been called either way. You could not see the knee when the ball came out.
The Refs blow calls but Jeez they have an impossible job in real time. I think eventually there will be an opportunity to call for replays on certain penalties.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that is only a limited argument, especially when looking at the way the refs are throwing flags.

Nice example last week Eagles vs Cleveland, on the drive where Cleveland scored.

1. Prior commits an OPI to make the catch - that one is understandably missed, though obvious on replay, and one of a type refs should be looking for.

2. Malcolm Jenkins gets called on a BS DPI call by a ref miles away (the two close do not call it), while at the same time the same ref that threw the flag ignored that same WR creating the separation by basically barging Jenkins out of his way at the top of his route, and the ref placed behind the QB ignoring Vinny Curry being tackled (after blatant holding) right in front of his face well before the QB throws his pass.

The refs bring it upon themselves in many ways. They completely miss the blatantly obvious (300lbs O-lineman running 20 yards down field illegally on a pass play ), and call the ticky-tack. They are wildly inconsistent in the calls they make and do not make. The moment refs leave you wondering WT**** they were looking at, you know there is a problem.

I think you can very well compare them - especially with a sport like rugby. And I rarely if ever see the same inconsistency and incompetence displayed there. One of the big differences is full time professional refs.

Generally, I think you can blame the NFL a lot for these issues - not only for not making the refs full time professionals, but also itself for needlessly complicating the rule-book, the mweah way they implemented instant replay, the wrong priorities in judging punishable offenses for players post-game, and seemingly the wildly inconsistent ways in which it holds officials accountable.
I can see what you are saying. I think refs missing calls is because there is so much going on in a short amount of time. Long story short, I don't think there is favoritism. But I do agree that its the NFLs own doing with some of the issues we are seeing today.