• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Batting the AZ Snakes for a .500 pace

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This additional note from Scott Lucas who has been covering the minor leagues for Jamey Newberg for a few years now.

Elite prospects have occasionally destroyed their opposition from the get-go, but I don't know if I've ever seen a relatively unsung player start his pro career with such impact as Ledarious Clark. Clark was the 348th pick in the draft out of Division II West Florida. There's no reason to think Texas placed him at the wrong level.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a little more news.

Neftali Feliz Clears Waivers - MLB Trade Rumors

Rangers righty Neftali Feliz has cleared outright waivers, SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo tweets. Feliz was designated for assignment last Friday.

The 27-year-old Feliz is playing on a $4.13MM arbitration deal this year and remains controllable for a final year in 2016. That obligation, combined with the sub-par performances that led to the DFA, likely ensured that he would not be claimed.

Because Feliz has topped five years of service at this point, after entering the year with 4.151 to his credit, he can choose to elect free agency without giving up his remaining salary. Per the report, Feliz is still deciding whether or not to take an assignment with Texas.
I hope he elects FA. IMO we have seen the best from him. Best to him.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to watch Pit and Stl just doesn't wrinkle my pantyhose

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JonHeymanCBS: kenny stabler, RIP. the snake was a great one.

For those who remember him. A great qb for the Raiders. He and Lamonica. He was cool!

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JonHeymanCBS: kenny stabler, RIP. the snake was a great one.

For those who remember him. A great qb for the Raiders. He and Lamonica. He was cool!
Yes he was. RIP

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old time Raider fan. Both the snake and the mad bomber

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old time Raider fan. Both the snake and the mad bomber

I hated that team. Was at Denver's first ever AFC Championship game when Denver played Oakland with Stabler and Casper and Biletnekoff(?). Craig Morton was the QB and the Orange Crush defense. That was one heck of a game and the old Broncos stadium would just shake.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated that team. Was at Denver's first ever AFC Championship game when Denver played Oakland with Stabler and Casper and Biletnekoff(?). Craig Morton was the QB and the Orange Crush defense. That was one heck of a game and the old Broncos stadium would just shake.
Remember when Craig Morton was a long time Dallas Cowboy. Lost his job to Roger the Dodger. Was it he who we beat 27-10 in a Super Bowl?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when Craig Morton was a long time Dallas Cowboy. Lost his job to Roger the Dodger. Was it he who we beat 27-10 in a Super Bowl?
Yes it was.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jamey Newberg seems to think that we can get more back in trade for Gallardo than we gave up for Cliff Lee. I am not so sure about that.

For Lee (and Long Ball Lowe) TEX spent Smoak, Bevan, Leuke and (I forgot until I read Jamey's piece) ... Matt Lawson.

And TEX got to the ALCS. That is the most important result.

Smoak, Bevan, Leuke and Lawson would not have gotten us to the 2010 ALCS ... or the 2011 ALCS either for that matter. Given that Smoak was signed as a FA by Toronto last winter, Bevan is now with AAA Reno (ARI), Leuke is playing in Mexico and Lawson appears to be out of pro ball ... I can't imagine that what TEX might get back for Gallardo could be less awe inspiring.

Acquiring Lee got TEX to the 2010 ALCS. Unfortunately gaining Lowe in the deal unfortunately put him on the TEX roster and on the mound in the final pitch of 'that Game 6'. So that trade had a good point and a bad point without regard to what it cost.

A better trade for TEX would have been for SEA to have kept Lowe even if the give up for Lee was the same.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I hope he elects FA. IMO we have seen the best from him. Best to him.

Am torn. Think TEX will still try to trade him but if unsuccessful and he accepts assignment to the minors TEX will be okay with that.

How many 'failed' pitchers have we seen TEX pick up from other teams? I don't see even now that Felix wouldn't be one that TEX would do a deal with if tables were turned.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Lee (and Long Ball Lowe) TEX spent Smoak, Bevan, Leuke and (I forgot until I read Jamey's piece) ... Matt Lawson.

And TEX got to the ALCS. That is the most important result.

Smoak, Bevan, Leuke and Lawson would not have gotten us to the 2010 ALCS ... or the 2011 ALCS either for that matter. Given that Smoak was signed as a FA by Toronto last winter, Bevan is now with AAA Reno (ARI), Leuke is playing in Mexico and Lawson appears to be out of pro ball ... I can't imagine that what TEX might get back for Gallardo could be less awe inspiring.

Acquiring Lee got TEX to the 2010 ALCS. Unfortunately gaining Lowe in the deal unfortunately put him on the TEX roster and on the mound in the final pitch of 'that Game 6'. So that trade had a good point and a bad point without regard to what it cost.

A better trade for TEX would have been for SEA to have kept Lowe even if the give up for Lee was the same.
Yes, but you are judging the trade after the fact. You have to judge it based on the value of those players at the time. True, it isn't awe inspiring now, but those guys certainly had much more value at the time than they do now. I would just be surprised if what we get for Gallardo is more valuable than that package we gave up for Lee was at the time of the trade. Hopefully in the future it will be more valuable than the package we gave up for Lee is now.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, but you are judging the trade after the fact. You have to judge it based on the value of those players at the time. True, it isn't awe inspiring now, but those guys certainly had much more value at the time than they do now. I would just be surprised if what we get for Gallardo is more valuable than that package we gave up for Lee was at the time of the trade. Hopefully in the future it will be more valuable than the package we gave up for Lee is now.

I think you always need to judge based on the result you were aiming for. TEX acquired Lee to get to the 2010 post season and actually got to the WS. So they got what they paid for ... regardless of what it cost to get them there.

In hindsight now ... it is an even better deal as losing Smoak et. al had zero effect on future team placements. Unfortunately, as i have been known to say ...TEX would have been better off had not having Lowe in that deal since Lee was not around to help TEX get to the 2011 post season while unfortunately Lowe was.