• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bama QB Dilemma

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff sleeper? Michael Brewer gives Virginia Tech chance - NCAA Football - Sporting News
BAMA QB DILEMMA

Q: I see a smoke screen with Nick Saban. I think he wants everyone to think Blake Sims can win the job just so everyone else doesn’t prepare for Jake Coker and he dominates this season. What do you think?

— Dustin Franks, LaGrange, Georgia

Hayes: It’s possible. It’s also possible that Coker, despite Jimbo Fisher’s declaration that Coker could start for just about every FBS school, isn’t nearly the player everyone thought he was.

It’s also possible that a player asked to learn a new system in three weeks; asked to become a team leader in less than three months on campus; asked to keep the Alabama engine running full throttle, might just be overwhelmed by it all.

MORE: Coach rankings, 1 to 128 | Rivalries: Hot or cold? | Top 25 players

It’s also possible that a player who has been around a program for four years; who knows what’s expected of him; who knows his time is running out, realizes it’s time to play now or never again — and his performance has forced the staff to take another strong look at him as an option.

My guess is it’s a combination of all those things, and the harsh fact that the safety net that was AJ McCarron is no longer around. And that’s leading to a little more anxiety than expected in Tuscaloosa among everyone involved.

Poor (or uneven) quarterback play can destroy a season — even with the most talented teams. That’s what Alabama will miss most about McCarron: his presence and ability to make plays when things got hectic.

More than anything, Alabama — no matter who plays quarterback — obviously doesn’t have that right now if Saban is publicly stating he wants someone to take the job and run with it. That’s the real problem, not some fictional smoke screen.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As all of us are aware by now… splitting reps between QB's results in execution problems. Not sure it will matter… but, it is better for WVU that a clear winner of the position has been determined.