• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Awesome Thread at the Swamp

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also glad you're okay Loki, that's a scary situation!

Thanks. This was one of the only times in my life I was legitimately scared for my personal safety. My roommate made me promise I would always call him in the future. He was like "Never ever do this again. I will always come get you."

At least I got to upgrade my tickets for free that night.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know how you feel Loki, I was in a situation kinda like yours a few years back when my car broke down on the thruway outside of Fredonia around 2am in the winter. I was only wearing a light coat and had to walk for over 2 hours till I got to a pay phone, and then no one wanted to come get me. :(

I finally got a tow truck service to get me but they didn't know where I was exactly. While I was freezing to death at a rest area off the thruway, a couple of guys pulled up and started to walk towards me. The tow truck driver pulled up and honked and the 2 guys turned around and walked away.

I don't know what would of happened, but I was never so scared and cold in my life before or since.

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know how you feel Loki, I was in a situation kinda like yours a few years back when my car broke down on the thruway outside of Fredonia around 2am in the winter. I was only wearing a light coat and had to walk for over 2 hours till I got to a pay phone, and then no one wanted to come get me. :(

I finally got a tow truck service to get me but they didn't know where I was exactly. While I was freezing to death at a rest area off the thruway, a couple of guys pulled up and started to walk towards me. The tow truck driver pulled up and honked and the 2 guys turned around and walked away.

I don't know what would of happened, but I was never so scared and cold in my life before or since.

That sucks and you seriously feel helpless in these situations.

I am guessing 80% of my friends would have come and got me (a couple told me I should have called them), but the roads were so bad I just couldn't live with myself if I called them and something happened. And none of them really have trucks or SUV's that would have dealt with this well.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing 80% of my friends would have come and got me (a couple told me I should have called them), but the roads were so bad I just couldn't live with myself if I called them and something happened. And none of them really have trucks or SUV's that would have dealt with this well.

You're lucky to have good friends. I lived with 3 people in a house at the time and they said they didn't want to come get me because they were having a party. My Stepmom said it was too late and too far to drive. FML :L

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You're lucky to have good friends. I lived with 3 people in a house at the time and they said they didn't want to come get me because they were having a party. My Stepmom said it was too late and too far to drive. FML :L

Yeah, I am seriously lucky. A friend insisted on picking me and drunk friends up at 3am on Friday when we were out at the bars. I would have been fine catching a cab, but the two friends I was with lived further away and I didn't want to ditch them. The guy that picked us up doesn't drink, so he's always our DD when we go out. I felt so bad. Took him out to dinner at least to thank him, but I was so grateful I had good friends. And I NEVER do that. I always just take cabs, so I was reassuring this kid I wouldn't make a habit of it. Then he told me various stories of bailing people out of jail and said I wasn't even in his top ten stories of having to pick people up in the middle of the night. Haha.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds awful Loki. Glad you made it.

If it was anything like Baltimore I know it was bad.
I flew in to BWI from about 9:30 Monday night. From the plane windows it didnt look like it was snowing very hard yet. However when I got to my car it was coming down and mixed with sleet. My normal 30 minute drive took over 90 minutes and I was slipping and sliding the entire way. It did not help that both of the ways I can take home have long stretches where you are driving on elevated roads. Not what I felt like doing after a 4 hour flight. It was easily the worst conditions I had driven in in a long time.

However, in regards to the swamp thread, you cannot argue with numbers and the numbers are in and they prove a bandwagon fanbase. :)

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sounds awful Loki. Glad you made it.

If it was anything like Baltimore I know it was bad.
I flew in to BWI from about 9:30 Monday night. From the plane windows it didnt look like it was snowing very hard yet. However when I got to my car it was coming down and mixed with sleet. My normal 30 minute drive took over 90 minutes and I was slipping and sliding the entire way. It did not help that both of the ways I can take home have long stretches where you are driving on elevated roads. Not what I felt like doing after a 4 hour flight. It was easily the worst conditions I had driven in in a long time.

However, in regards to the swamp thread, you cannot argue with numbers and the numbers are in and they prove a bandwagon fanbase. :)

Yeah, it was definitely bad. I believe it was nine inches in about seven hours. Not devastating to some places, but in Pittsburgh they always say "NEXT time we will be ahead of the snow" and it never happens.

As a side comment about the bandwagoning (which I know no one has said anything about seriously in this thread), I honestly feel the Penguins have a small hardcore dedicated fanbase that go to games (maybe 12K-14K, also considering the economy) + a dedicated TV fanbase that can't afford tickets most of the time (the arena fills with a few K bandwagoners, suits, casual fans, etc). What I would like to see are stats on what youth hockey does for NHL teams...specifically, years later, what a fanbase looks like after a lot of youth hockey has been financially and visibly supported. Because I think that's what's made a huge difference in Pittsburgh...I think we're seeing the fruits of Lemieux's labor right now. And I think in ten years, we will see the fruits of Crosby who also financially and visibly supports youth hockey in Pittsburgh. From personal experience, this does loads more in the long run than a superstar playing for a team, though admittedly I don't have the stats to back that up.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, that is painful to read. Glad to hear that you got out of it ok.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that's crappy with Pittsburgh is that we have hills...where I am for school they never plow/shovel, but it's flat. In the Burgh, you CAN'T just forget to plow.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Massive ice storm in Raleigh 7-8 years ago... caught everyone by surprise right in time for rush hour.

I started driving home from Durham, it had barely even begun snowing when I got in the car.
This is about a 45 minute door to door drive.

Got home 6 1/2 hours later.

(not an exaggeration, i had friends that ran out of gas an abandoned their cars after 4 or 5 hours )

THAT was fun.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's the Consol Energy Center.

Where the lights don't work and patrons sometimes nearly freeze to death outside. I'm kidding - it's the most beautiful arena... in the AHL!

ZING!

Glad you're okay, Loki. Reminds me of my night after the Classic - no threat of freezing to death, but the hotel shuttle totally screwed up. Waited an hour and then started looking for a cab in downtown Pittsburgh - that was a show. The cab situation in that town is dreadful.

I stood in the rain for an hour, but did get to see:
-Two different Pens' fans crying
-A guy freak out about how the Caps have no Cups a la Mogatu at the end of Zoolander
-A wasted guy get in a fight with his girlfriend and wander down a street, only to return 10 minutes later calling for his girl who was gone - watched him walk the wrong way after her... opted not to help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally posted in that thread and deleted my response. That nfl roolz has to be about the biggest asshole next to footballfan 2112. Even his fellow caps fans hate that motherfucker. That is all...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
footballfan2112 is a Flames fan as well...Yeesh.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^that...yet he still got an invite over here...well either that or he went looking for us

footballfan2112 is a Flames fan as well...Yeesh.

At least there are no Pens Fans that are bad, lol...:D:L

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massive ice storm in Raleigh 7-8 years ago... caught everyone by surprise right in time for rush hour.

I started driving home from Durham, it had barely even begun snowing when I got in the car.
This is about a 45 minute door to door drive.

Got home 6 1/2 hours later.

(not an exaggeration, i had friends that ran out of gas an abandoned their cars after 4 or 5 hours )

THAT was fun.

I believe it. It can happen. Earlier this year we had a storm that dropped about 10 inches in 6 hours and I heard tons of stories about people being stuck or slow moving for 6-7 hours. Sounds awful.

I was lucky Monday that it wasn't rush hour.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're one good tough hockey fan Loki. Glad you made it Okay and don't forget if all else fails you can always call Boss!! ;)

NullDefault

Generic Comment
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we will see the fruits of Crosby .

You can say that again lol!

On a serious note though, glad to hear you are ok because that situation was seriously about 15 minutes away from being a tragedy. You described the initial stages of hypothermia which once that sets in if you get too far from somewhere warm you will literally just lose motor function and then it's only a matter of time. Again, really glad you got out unscathed. :D