• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: At the Angels, May 4-6

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone really surprised ? I"m not ... It's the culture of this baseball team...
This is what I think, there are things about this team that have surprised me but I am not surprised that we are losing. The pitching in general has been disappointing the offense is exactly what I thought it would be.

The starting pitching depth has been a concern of mine and a few others since the off season. The reliance on young pitching going into the season is a mistake. I think ultimately the SP will improve but I still think we should add another solid SP if this team thinks wants to contend, the bullpen on the other hand is a coin flip as many have stated bullpen performance can be very different from year to year, if this team can even sniff a playoff spot by the trade deadline I wouldn't be surprised to see an addition to the pen if it continues to struggle.

This offense is going to be hot and cold if everyone was clicking at the same time this offense would be real tough to beat unfortunately that doesn't happen. Just the way this team was built. LoMo is going to be hot and cold, Ackley will be warm and mostly cold, Zunino will strikeout 4 million times if he doesn't tinker with his approach.
Weeks: I hated this sign the second it happened. I still don't see the point of him.
Ruggiano: I like him as a bench outfielder. Still haven't seen enough of him to dislike his performance yet but I typically like his approach at the plate.
Seth Smith: Very valuable to this team right now. One of the few guys I think actually looks like a major leaguer right now.
Miller: I like him hitting RHP hate his D at SS. Would be nice to have him in the lineup against righties.

Tough stretch of games. This team has a lot of shit to work out before I would consider them a playoff team.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lineup is doing exactly what I thought they would do, and Cruz is even exceeding my expectations, obviously.

The outfield is a huge mess, which is exactly what I thought it would be.

I thought the starting pitching would be better than last year. It's not.

I thought the pen would be quite a lot worse than last year, but not this bad. No way.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I made it back safe and sound. It was a two hour drive into Anaheim from LA in rush hour with a 45 minute return following yet another gut wrenching loss. Sat right behind Seager on the third base line which was cool, and got to stand up in a sea of red to cheer both a two run homer by Seags and a game tying sac by Ackley. At any moment I though Cruz would mash one, but it never happened. Once I saw Carson come out I was as confident as I could be, but that didn't matter because we are the M's. So all in all, three hours of travel to root my team that drives me f*%&*+@ nuts......worth every penny and every minute spent. Its our M's.......we didn't choose them, they chose us. Anyone that has followed the Hawks since early to mid 90's should know it doesn't have to be this way forever. It will turn around......some day.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I made it back safe and sound. It was a two hour drive into Anaheim from LA in rush hour with a 45 minute return following yet another gut wrenching loss. Sat right behind Seager on the third base line which was cool, and got to stand up in a sea of red to cheer both a two run homer by Seags and a game tying sac by Ackley. At any moment I though Cruz would mash one, but it never happened. Once I saw Carson come out I was as confident as I could be, but that didn't matter because we are the M's. So all in all, three hours of travel to root my team that drives me f*%&*+@ nuts......worth every penny and every minute spent. Its our M's.......we didn't choose them, they chose us. Anyone that has followed the Hawks since early to mid 90's should know it doesn't have to be this way forever. It will turn around......some day.

Yup when we get an owner and front office that cares about the product on the field!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The relief is TERRIBLE this year. That's been my biggest observation. We've given up so many wins because of terrible relief pitching. Feel like Ms just went full "We got em with our starters and we now have Cruz so we should have a 5 run lead by the 9th!" mode.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 7h7 hours ago

#Mariners relievers are 3-9 this season -- the most losses of any bullpen in #MLB.

------------------

We are also tied with Pirates for most walk-off losses with 5.

I think I saw Lookout Landing had us at 60 walk off losses vs 20 walk off wins since 2010. Winning tight games late has consistently been a problem. Mostly due to not scoring but throwing in a bad bullpen is a recipe to lose a ton of games

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counting last night's game, Roenis Elias has received two runs of support or fewer in nine of his last 12 starts.

Before last night, he’d allowed two or fewer earned runs in 11 of his last 12 starts.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counting last night's game, Roenis Elias has received two runs of support or fewer in nine of his last 12 starts.

Before last night, he’d allowed two or fewer earned runs in 11 of his last 12 starts.
I like Elias. Always have. He is solid. The recipe for this team right now is when we have a SP keep us in the game we don't score enough or the bullpen blows it. When the SP gets shelled we are out of the game, we might make a dramatic comeback just to have the bullpen blow it again. Not a good recipe to win games right now. Although you gotta think some of these will start falling in the Mariners favor.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like that change up is working nicely for him. It's made it so he can still be pretty effective with out his fastball working. If he can get control of the fastball he will be good. Deserves to stay in the rotation.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rebuilding process should never take 14 years though... Clearly upper management and ownership is failing if that happens... I'm not even talking about championships either, just good competitive baseball where your team at least has a chance and play's good baseball... Last year was the closest this team has been sniffing the post season since 2001 ... That's effin bad ... Hopefully this team turns it around, but I don't know man... I'm seeing some pretty bad stuff right now.... 7 games back 7 below .500 already .... M's dig much more of a hole their never gonna climb out....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't a true rebuild until the entire house is cleaned out until a new ownership group that gives a damn takes over. If there is any analogy between the Seahawks it is they have an owner who wants to win.....f*ck I wish that he liked baseball.